Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1001157 - 11/18/17 05:39 PM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: markgoodrich]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
My wife thought it was pretty funny.

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#1001194 - 11/19/17 02:42 AM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: dirtrider]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Originally Posted by markgoodrich
Hi, DR, not particularly large, 25-30l,,although a larger bag would be okay. I can barely fit a week's worth of gear into the side cases, would be nice to have extra room.

Quick attach/removal imperative.

In the 30 liter class one of my favorites is the BMW small tail bag (small in a misnomer).

The bag is basically a 30 liter bag with a waterproof inner membrane (use the inner or not as you wish)

It is expandable to about 35 liters if needed (I have seldom needed to).

It looks pretty decent on a BMW bike (mainly made for the BMW GS but it comes with lots of strapping extras to fit about anything).

One nice feature is IF your rear luggage rack/plate has a small rear lip behind the support stands there is a pocket on the bottom of the bag to slide over that lip so you only need to secure the front with quick disconnect buckles then slips off & is easily carried as luggage.

Size is around 13" tall x 16" wide x 13" long. (when full it also becomes a passenger back rest)

Might be worth a look at your local BMW dealer (they usually offer this bag on sale about twice a year & when on sale not a bad bargain for it's usefulness)

[Linked Image]

If mounting to the rear rack on my RTW or GSA this small BMW bag can't be beat! Looks great and on my 2 bikes fits like a glove on the back racks and pops on or off easily. Comes with various size straps for mounting which is really nice.

For use in the pillion I have used a Cortech Sport Tail bag like this but in black since 2004 and like it so much I bought a 2nd as a back-up but never needed it as the original is still going strong!

[Linked Image]

Ed Apelianbike
'16 R1200RTW - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'12 R1200GSA - Magma Red - (my 1150GS replacement)

All it takes is an open road and an open mind!
#1001198 - 11/19/17 04:44 AM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: RTinNC]  
workin' them angels Offline
workin' them angels  Offline

Indianapolis
Originally Posted by RTinNC

For use in the pillion I have used a Cortech Sport Tail bag like this but in black since 2004 and like it so much I bought a 2nd as a back-up but never needed it as the original is still going strong!

[Linked Image]

I have one as well - comes with rain cover. I've used it in place of my hard case on the rear rack, and also in the pillion position.

Dave
06 R12RT

The point of the journey is not to arrive...
#1001201 - 11/19/17 06:12 AM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: markgoodrich]  
JR356 Offline
JR356  Offline

Way out West
Have that Dry Spec bag,won it at Top O the Rockies BMW Rally 2 yrs ago.
Great bag that can hold a ton of stuff,the internal stiffener(formed plastic) really helps with keeping shape and allowing easy access for loading,unloading.
Also the stiffener on mine is white,which really helps when digging for gear.
It is definitely waterproof.

Maybe wait a couple days,might be some good Black Friday deals coming up.

JR356

#1001202 - 11/19/17 06:39 AM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: JR356]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by JR356

Maybe wait a couple days,might be some good Black Friday deals coming up.

JR356

That is a great suggestion. I know there are a few items I need and am waiting to see what the Christmas Sale time brings.

Ed Apelianbike

#1001225 - 11/19/17 04:35 PM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: markgoodrich]  
markgoodrich Offline
markgoodrich  Offline

Austin, TX
A member here PM'd me with a great offer for an RKA bag. I'm done:

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A03%20Seatbags/33_STARR/STARR%20III.html

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

2016 R1200RT

#1001375 - 11/22/17 02:29 PM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: markgoodrich]  
Lowndes Offline
Lowndes  Offline

Roswell, GA
Hi, DR, not particularly large, 25-30l,,although a larger bag would be okay. I can barely fit a week's worth of gear into the side cases, would be nice to have extra room.

This might fit the bill, although the zippers might be problematic...at least, they have been on my Rukka suit over the years:

http://www.oxfordproducts.com/motor...es_lifetime_luggage/t40r_tailpack_black/

This "Oxford Products" bag looks a lot like a large tank bag turned backwards, which gives me an idea for some of my unused tank bags. THANKS, Mark!!

I bought a cheapo "bum-stop" pillion bag a few weeks ago but it is too small to be of much use. If it was twice the volume it would be ok. Amazon tail bag

Old Fart Newbie
#1001378 - 11/22/17 02:39 PM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: markgoodrich]  
Lowndes Offline
Lowndes  Offline

Roswell, GA
Mark,

"This might fit the bill, although the zippers might be problematic...at least, they have been on my Rukka suit over the years: "

Try soft candle wax rubbed on the zippers (not beeswax). It sure helps "difficult" zippers of all types. I've used a small votive candle with a very "oily" wax for a long time. It stays in place (on the zipper), doesn't smell or stain.

Old Fart Newbie
#1001380 - 11/22/17 03:24 PM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: Lowndes]  
Lone_RT_rider Offline
Lone_RT_rider  Offline

Germantown, WI
Originally Posted by Lowndes

This might fit the bill, although the zippers might be problematic...at least, they have been on my Rukka suit over the years:

This "Oxford Products" bag looks a lot like a large tank bag turned backwards, which gives me an idea for some of my unused tank bags. THANKS, Mark!!

I bought a cheapo "bum-stop" pillion bag a few weeks ago but it is too small to be of much use. If it was twice the volume it would be ok. Amazon tail bag

Oh man.... that's going to take a BIG black sharpie!

[Linked Image]

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious stuff...
#1001383 - 11/22/17 04:11 PM Re: Best Tail Bag? [Re: Lone_RT_rider]  
RTinNC Offline
RTinNC  Offline

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by Lone_RT_rider
Originally Posted by Lowndes

Oh man.... that's going to take a BIG black sharpie!

[Linked Image]

That is exactly how I use my Cortech tail bag. With the 4 bungies it mounts up in a snap and never moves.

[Linked Image]

Ed Apelianbike

Page 2 of 2 1 2