IGNORED

Seat material to use with Aerostich

r77toy

Planning on having my seat recovered in the near future, what is the best material?

Not too hot, not too slippery, not too sticky.

I always ride in Aerostich.

I'm thinking basketweave vinyl or suede.

This is for my 1200ST, so I need to slide around to get a cheek off when cornering.

I'm thinking about something like this:

https://www.saddlemen.com/adventure-track-seat-2-pc-2up-r-series-bmw

You may like this, they do a very good job. I have a set for my previous bike, as well as for the present RT.

Unless you are handy with this sort of things, I suggest you find a professional upholsterer to install it for about $50.

Also, I did carve into the seat foam to install a sheet of gel. Huge difference! Love it!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R-1200-ST-SEAT-COVER-2005-2008-/132413829107?hash=item1ed47aaff3

Is that a really good price? I didn't know good looking covers like that could be had for that kind of $$.

JMHO! ;) If you have a local upholsterer and will do it cheaper, go for it. I find it as a fair priced

cover, good quality, and that is why purchased a second one from them.

I have the basketweave vinyl on one of my bikes now. I also have leather seating surface on the RT. I have had regular vinyl RT seat covers on other Russells. The vinyl is slicker as it ages. Sort of hardens. The leather stays about the same, assuming you keep it treated with conditioners. I scoot to the edges when pushing the RT and I don't think it makes a lot of difference. Don't know about suede or the cloth covers.

I have leather on my Russell and while comfortable and good looking I find the aerostich material wears the seat leather near where my knees squeeze the the seat. Not sure if vinyl does the same. Regardless I still order leather. Probably from my not treating them often enough.