IGNORED

2002 1150rt no RID, will crank but not start

Lincoln_Faller

Lincoln_Faller

Just had new clutch assembly and new input shaft installed by reputable mechanic, due to extreme spline wear. On first ride after about 6 miles stopped to gas up and bike would not start. Cranked but did not fire up. All display lights worked but RID remained blank. No oil temp reading, no fuel level, but clock worked

Some time ago I undid a bypass of the side stand switch by reconnecting the wires that had been cut and jumped. Could it be that one of these reconnections has failed, possibly strained as the rear frame was lifted? In any case, what might it mean that the engine would turn over but not start while the RID remained blank? Tried to do a search on this website but no luck.

Thanks for any help you might give. Alternative is hauling the bike back 70 some miles to the shop in a trailer.

all best, Lincoln

Just had new clutch assembly and new input shaft installed by reputable mechanic, due to extreme spline wear.

What mileage did the other one fail at?

Lincoln_Faller

Andy S: the splines didn't fail, but at 21000 miles I pulled the starter and found that the outer edge of the clutch disk showed 8 mm of play vs. the transmission input shaft when the clutch was engaged. There was also the telltale rusty dust on what I could see of the input shaft. Realizing it would have eventually to be repaired and not wanting to get stranded on the road when the inevitable shearing would occur, I decided to get it fixed. When I got a look at the old parts, the clutch splines were worn half their original width, those on the input shaft a third. There was 2 mm of radial play in the splines themselves when engaged, and about 15 degrees of lateral play. I expect the whole thing would have gone south in about 3-6000 miles, if not before.

I had everything from the crankshaft back replaced up to and including the input shaft and its bearings, also including the rear main seal just because it was there, and a clutch friction plate with longer splines than BMW stock from Motorworks in the UK. My hope is there is no more misalignment. Buying all my parts from Motorworks meant about a 50% saving compared to US dealer prices, even with the cost of shipping, and I had everything I ordered in hand in less than a week, here in New Mexico.

Jim Moore: thanks so much for the information. It did turn out to be a faulty connection in one of the wires serving the sidestand switch. I found the problem within minutes of removing the left fairing and wiggling each of the possible suspects. A bit of resoldering and all is well.

all best, Lincoln

Hi Lincoln, thanks for that info. It does set alarm bells going for me. You have a very low mileage bike that effectively would have had a spline failure. You have a 2002 bike and they were generally the 'problem' year for this issue.

Have you considered a replacement (2nd hand) gearbox?

I would be VERY concerned that this problem is going to raise its head in a similar sort of mileage. If you changed the gearbox, you would still have than nice new clutch pack to go in it.

Lincoln_Faller

I did think about a second hand gearbox, Andy, but I was persuaded just to go with a complete replacement of everything back from the crank up to and including the input shaft by Anton Largiader's report that he never had a recurrence once he'd done that. Anton runs a very highly respected one-man shop in Charlottesville, Virginia, which works only on BMWs. He reports on his website that of the many spline repairs he's done on oilheads--given the picture he's posted of damaged input shafts it looks like dozens--that he's seen only one misaligned transmission. All the rest he attributes to misalignments forward of that. As Virginia is some 2000 miles from New Mexico, I had my work done by Marc Beyer of OCD in Santa Fe, who is also very highly respected. He's done a number of these jobs, always replaces the entire clutch pack, and encountered only one instance where a defective transmission case needed to be replaced, and that was done under warranty. It was a police bike, and after a first repair the splines had stripped again 13,000 miles later. So I presume he knows what to look for.

I did think about a second hand gearbox, Andy, but I was persuaded just to go with a complete replacement of everything back from the crank up to and including the input shaft by Anton Largiader's report that he never had a recurrence once he'd done that. Anton runs a very highly respected one-man shop in Charlottesville, Virginia, which works only on BMWs. He reports on his website that of the many spline repairs he's done on oilheads--given the picture he's posted of damaged input shafts it looks like dozens--that he's seen only one misaligned transmission. All the rest he attributes to misalignments forward of that. As Virginia is some 2000 miles from New Mexico, I had my work done by Marc Beyer of OCD in Santa Fe, who is also very highly respected. He's done a number of these jobs, always replaces the entire clutch pack, and encountered only one instance where a defective transmission case needed to be replaced, and that was done under warranty. It was a police bike, and after a first repair the splines had stripped again 13,000 miles later. So I presume he knows what to look for.

Morning Lincoln

Just keep in mind that everything forward of the transmission that effects spline wear ROTATES. That then means that the spline wear caused by those rotating parts would show asymmetrical spline wear not the usual (angular & evenly worn around the spline joint) wear.

Saying that someone didn't measure the transmission to engine alignment but presume he knows what to look for is as much wishful thinking as crossing your fingers & hoping for a lasting repair.

I haven't seen your spline shaft wear or clutch disk spline hub so I suppose it was possible that your particular bike did have an unusual (outlier) type of spline wear but most 1150 bikes that I have seen spline wear on show an angular alignment type spline wear not a wobble or elliptical type spline wear.