IGNORED

Phone mount for r1150rt

eliastfk93

Christmas is around the corner, and im thinking about getting my father a phone mount for his r1150rtp, what are some of y'all using?

I like this one by RAM Mounts PD3U

There is another style with a spring-loaded "X" that is popular. I don't think it holds the phone as securely, and in fact I have seen a phone go flying from my buddy's bike using one of those X-versions.

While you are at it, you should consider a USB charging port. Something like this: USB Charging

Exactly what Cap said.

I have the PD3U on my 1150RT and couldn't be happier. Use the ball mount stud that inserts in one of the handlebar allen bolts and you're good.

I first used the 'X' spring loaded system and it worked ok, but you had to adjust the thing every time you inserted the phone to ensure the mounting points weren't contacting the volume, or on/off button.

With the PD, you make the first adjustment and that's it

There area many mounts but RAM is favored by a lot of people .

Here is a link to a "mount builder" click on the blue box that says "build your mount" or something to the effect.

https://www.rammount.com/activity/motorcycle-mounts#/

I use the X-grip on a pedestal in the left mirror hole of my RT.

The early X-grips didn't have a retaining device so if a phone was put in naked, (no bumper or case) it could slide about as the phone cases are pretty slick. RAM has, for several years included a rubber pad that you pull over each corner (if you wish) to secure naked phones. My phone has a cheap rubber bumper and has yet to go flying.

There are also 2 sizes of X-grip to accomodate the "phablets" or Plus phones.

The PD3U looks fine as well and can be mounted in several locations. The RT, I think is easy because of the unused mirror hole. It's out of the way and on the rare occasion I look at the screen, it's near my line of sight.

The in-dash power port is also within inches of this location so all I need is the Powerlet adapter to go from US "cigarette lighter" size to USB.

I already had the Powerlet BMW power port to US cigarette lighter size adapter.

I had a Techmount cell mont in the same location for a couple years. Very high quality and it's got a rubber core for anti-vibration. It looked a bit chunky so when the X-grip came out, I went with that and have been very happy.

Oh, the X-grip has the ability to swivel maybe an inch or more to allow accidental bumping into and to give it a bit of wiggle for anti-vibration.

If the phone has the feature Shake to Shuffle in the music options, the user will want to turn that off if the playlists are going to be used. On a motorcycle, having it on causes some interesting music mixes.

Oh, the X-grip has the ability to swivel maybe an inch or more to allow accidental bumping into and to give it a bit of wiggle for anti-vibration.

That reminds me... The X-grip does swivel a bit. And on our R-bikes, having a steady vibration from the engine, the result is that the X-grip will pick up a sympathetic motion that makes the phone difficult to see. It's like being always out of focus. At least, that was my experience.

I mount my phone in my jacket pocket.

Which is fine if you don't need to see it. I use my phone for many purposes: a moving map GPS, an mp3 player, a weather radar, a voice-activated search tool. Some years ago I would carry my phone in my pocket, often turned off to save the battery. And I had some increasingly elaborate dedicated technology to play tunes in my helmet. But today's smart phones are so good that they can do everything via a bluetooth connection to your helmet -- thus the need for a mount and a power dongle.

When I first started to listen to music while riding, I thought that I would be distracted and unsafe. Now I find that music helps me stay focused, and when I sometimes turn it off for a segment of a ride I find that I begin to have my attention wander more. And having a bluetooth intercom with my riding buddies has become a plus for safety and convenience. YMMV

Cap

I love the PD3U because once you've adjusted it, all you need to do is pull one side of the spring loaded claws, insert the phone and release. You never had to physically tighten anything each time you mount it.

My $.02.

RPG

I use one of these: RAM-HOL-UN4U

The finger mount is easy to get a phone in and out of and it holds well. I use it with a bolt head mount on the handlebar. I've used this mount for years and have no complaints. It does duty in the car with a suction mount as well.