IGNORED

Telescope questions

EffBee

I'm looking for a telescope to give as a gift, that has the ability to work off coordinates (don't know if I have the terminology right) and find specific stars. Maybe I'm dreaming, but is such a thing available for about $100?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Found a cheap one several years ago that would find and then track to earth rotation. $180ish at Costco. It sucked. Using a box of final eye pieces my brother had, it was better.

You get what you pay for when it comes to astronomy. Sort of like motorcycles!

I looked at getting a telescope a while back, and decided not to. The upshot was that anything that yielded a really good view of different celestial objects was expensive and would take a fair amount of know-how to set up properly. Instead, I found my local astronomy club which has several telescopes that can be borrowed, and even has a plot of land with a warming hut if you want to go do some 'hard core' observing. I'd look into that first, which would give the prospective gift recipient a chance to see if they like astronomy, and would be willing to commit time to learn and money to the hobby in the future. Also, I do a lot of back yard viewing with a basic bird-watching spotting scope and some binoculars. I used the spotting scope to project images of the recent eclipse on to some white board, which worked really well right up to the totality.