IGNORED

Beginning to start to maybe think about selling my 2014

hopz

As you can tell by the title, I am starting to think about selling the bike.

Since the site is getting a little-bit slow this time of the year maybe some of you could share some thoughts on the matter...

The bike is perfect, very low miles, (fewer then 8k at his date) great set-up with the spiffy accessories (essentials actually) etc. Never dropped, not even in the driveway. Getting older... me, not the bike... just having thoughts...

Your Thoughts?

It's about the smile, if you still get it and your heart beats a little quicker. I know and ride with guys in there 80's. They ride; a good riding buddy rides 500 mile days and that's including many sMiles in the Ozarks and keeps up. I hope to be able to do same at his age. Not easy I wish you the very best!

Jay

The same thoughts came in to my mind; I'm 71 and wonder if the aches and pains are really part of aging or I'm just falling apart. Took my '16 RT out a couple of days ago as the weather is mild for now. It felt good and I enjoyed it. I really don't want to give up my passions of the last 50 years as I get older. I am afraid of the big hole that would leave.

RecentConvert

I suffer from sciatica and some days on the bike get pretty painful. Ten days in a row don't help. But definitely don't support giving it up! My father didn't get old until he gave up the things that gave him joy, regardless of the immediate discomfort.

Give it up when you feel unsafe or become a hazard to yourself or others. As strataj said, it is about the smile.

The bike is perfect... Getting older... me, not the bike... just having thoughts...Your Thoughts?

Hi Hopz. Is there another bike tickling your fancy?

Is the weight becoming an issue, or maybe the height of the seat?

I know I would find it immensely difficult not having some 2 wheel motorised relief.

I had short listed the Gillera or Piaggio MP3 3 wheelers as a possible, if controlling the heft of the RT becomes an issue.

That is a great question that came to my mind in deciding between the R1200RT and K1600GT. I was 58 when I decided it was the RT as I figured this will be the last big motorcycle I will own and wanted to feel comfortable managing the bike as I roll into my 70's. The K bike was just too massive. If you feel the bike is getting to be too much, what about a standard R? Maybe still smaller moving to an F, a G or even a C model?

My plan is when I can't physically muscle the RT around the garage, or pick up a dropped bike, then it would be time to either down size or go to something like a Can-Am Spyder. Can't imagine not being able to ride in the open air even as I get way up there in years... All this assumes I don't loose my brain and have to succumb to being driven around, but odds are good this won't happen as family history says I'll be coherent to the end.

Hopz,

I'm in the same boat as you.

I tend to change bikes about every 4 years. My riding friends have begun to ask what am I thinking of swapping my '14 RT for.

My response is, "nothing." I don't see a better long range, comfortable, fuel-efficient luxury tourer that provides superb weather protection (proven this past September while riding from Montana back to Edmonton in -2 Celsius temperatures in rain and sleet) on the market or coming in the 2018 model year.

The only reason I would change bikes would be simply to try something different, not to buy a 'better' sport-/luxury-tourer.

If your budget allows it, I'd simply consider adding another bike to the stable that tickles your fancy.

I'm thinking of doing exactly that. Keeping the RT and adding a lighter, smaller bike for city riding and day trips. Currently, the Triumph Bonneville T120 and Speedmaster have caught my eye.

Good luck with your winter contemplations.

Tim

I'm 77 5' 6" and not very active and my Goldwing was getting heavy so I traded it in on a 2017 R1200RT. It made riding a lot more fun having a new lighter bike as I had been riding Goldwings for 40 years.

As you can tell by the title, I am starting to think about selling the bike.

Since the site is getting a little-bit slow this time of the year maybe some of you could share some thoughts on the matter...

The bike is perfect, very low miles, (fewer then 8k at his date) great set-up with the spiffy accessories (essentials actually) etc. Never dropped, not even in the driveway. Getting older... me, not the bike... just having thoughts...

Your Thoughts?

Hi Bob!

My first thought, when I saw your post yesterday was to dissuade you from giving up riding (heck, you are only a couple of years older than me! :) ), but I also realize that advise would be simply wrong! YOU are the one who has to answer that question. If you just don't have that urge to ride anymore, then perhaps it is time to hang up the helmet, and it sounds like this is where you are at. To force yourself to go and ride would be a big mistake, because if your heart and mind isn't in it, stupid things can happen, and you definitely don't want that!

Good luck on how you decide, but you know that you are the one that has to make that decision.

Hi Hopz,

I feel your pain! Five years ago, I felt my '05 RT was adding a few pounds every year, so I traded for new 2013 F800GT. It was a really great bike! It would give me all of the speeding tickets I wanted and was very nimble. After a few years, it started to put on weight too. I sold the GT and got a used Spyder, hoping my wife would ride more with me. She actually rode less. While the Spyder was fun to ride, it did not provide the two wheel experience I had enjoyed for over 50 years. Maintenance was a nightmare and very expensive. So I sold that and got a used '14 RT. It is the finest bike I've ever owned! At an age of 71, it will probably be my last bike. The slow speed/parking lot maneuvers are more of a challenge than they used to be and one of these days my battle with gravity will defeat my best efforts to stay vertical. That may make my decision easier. Until then, I enjoy each ride more than the last one. Far be it for me to tell you or anyone else what to do, but each of us will have to face that decision someday. We'll know when it is time.

Rick

Hi guys... several have asked or at least implied the critical question: WHY?

Well I guess it gets complicated. One thing is the crazy people on the roads here in Colorado. Tourists seem to want to go really fast but they don't know where they are going. The locals know where they are going but somehow cannot figure out when to get in what ever lane is best for the next turn. Many of them ride the left lane in order to make a right-turn... seems like the idea if waiting is better then planning... thus that guy texting next to be on the left will surely want to turn right in half-a-block... etc.

That and the riding community lost a good friend in Salt Lake City when he was the victim of a careless driver. RIP Jeff Thurmond.

And my wife has decided to not ride passenger any longer for complex and valid reasons. I love the bike. I love the ride and I feel safe and aware of what's going on around me... I ride my own ride even in a group. Faster than some, slower than some.

I'm just trying to weigh the risks... bones grow weaker over time. Recovery is longer and harder if a fall. etc.

We are in San Francisco at the moment with a family gathering and in the airport I was looking at a three-wheeler... don't know the brand. It might get us back on the road together, and it might add a degree of safety or it might be just an expensive thing in the garage... hard to say.

After riding for over 50 years now... sorta hard to imagine not having a bike...

Thanks your the thoughts... all valued.

First Seasons Greetings to everybody! :wave: Interesting discussion as I've been riding 49 years and have had passing thoughts of when I might end my riding days. An ageing body and the more dangerous traffic due to distracted and impaired drivers will be factors to consider in my decision when that day comes. Every time I ride I'll see at least one driver texting and that makes me nervous about stopping for stoplights. Also drugs are getting to be such a problem. For every drug arrest there has to be many not caught and of course they are out on the streets driving impaired. What I've done is to think better and not pleasure ride in town as often (an evening spin for example) to minimize the risk. When I do venture out I have lots of situation awareness of what's going on around me in traffic and avoid the busy traffic times.

On the other side of the equation I have made IMHO smart bike buying decisions. Being a senior citizen riding a behemoth of a motorcycle doesn't make good sense to me. I'd recommend making the right compromises in bike choice and give up some of the extra do dads for a machine that is lighter and definitely less TOP heavy. I love my R1200ST as it's the best bike I've ever owned. It is largely a R1200RT with less wind protection, no cruise control and a smaller gas tank. For what it gives up to the RT it gains in being definitely less top heavy. When it gets to feel like too much to handle there are many lightweight machines that might be a consideration in my future.

Very interesting discussion for sure. But as one poster indicated the decision to quit riding is really personal and one that each of us has to make on his/her own. Riding has always had risks and I fully agree the crazy drivers on the road increase that risk. But heck we never ever know when our number will be called for any of a dozen reasons outside of motorcycling. It sounds like you are still very capable of riding and enjoying your passion but if the risks and fear take that enjoyment away then that is a big consideration. I have demo ridden the Can Am Spyder and as a buddy put it "it is just NOT as much fun as it looks". If I had to go the spyder route I would probably get a Vanderhall or a Corvette and tour with my wife. But at "61" and only 8 months retired I hope to have a good 10 more years riding. I also like the idea of a smaller and lighter ride such as a scooter and there are some really slick scooters out there. And yes I too suffered a great loss when a year ago my riding buddy died right before my eyes (well my mirrors) as a result of the infamous "Harley Death Wobble". He was a young "72" and ironically we were riding through Death Valley! But I know he would not want me to stop riding and his passing was just something I have come to believe was just part of life.

Good luck with your decision!

I'm 68, and on my 12th bike. That after taking a 15 year break from riding, I quit for fear of getting hurt. I am totally on my game, but assume I'll get the signal that it's time to give it up at some point. We were on a 10 day ride from California to Vancouver Island earlier this year, and while waiting for the ferry this older guy came up and started talking. Said he knows my bike (r1200rt), it's too top heavy for him, so he rides a Harley look alike. Then he announced that he's 85! He instantly became my inspiration. He was taking the ferry over to Washington to ride the Cascades, spend the night, and ride back the next day. I feel like I'm in a race against the clock to keep going until I get can't go any longer. Next year the Swiss and Italian Alps! The year after The Great Smoke Mountains, then back to California. Good luck on your decision.

I am 72 and on my 6th bike and 60th year riding. I was without a bike for 10 years. I had a job that prohibited motorcycle riding for a couple years and then didn't really need any personal transportation, which is what motorcycles had been for me for most of my life. About a year and half ago, I got another bike even though I still didn't need it. It is mostly used for long trips and sits in a bedroom in between. I also downsized from RTs this time to a naked R, entirely to keep the weight as low as possible. I assume I will quit riding at some point, but I will ride until I can't. As someone has said, you don't quit riding because you get old. You get old because you quit riding. I'm not old yet.

Edited by Green RT
Dave_zoom_zoom

Hello hopz

Thank you for explaining "WHY".

I'm sure I'm at least as old as you, and likely a lot older. A long time ago my very best friend was killed on a motorcycle. That hurt me so badly it caused me to sell my bike and quit riding for many years. Although I'll never forget that tragedy I've been able to get back to riding once again, while enjoying the time spent doing so. I understand your concerns completely. They of course, very valid. I share those same concerns.

Each of us will most likely have a somewhat different approach in finding the best solution. I will share my approach with you, for whatever it's worth.

I tend to spend my time riding on less populated roads where the risk factor from other drivers is minimized. I still enjoy the challenges of riding faster than some highway signs might suggest and slicing a curve near a maximum lean angle while making every effort to brake and accelerate at the proper points all while hitting the best apex for that curve.

I tried a slower bike with a lower center of gravity, but that just didn't make me happy.

I sincerely wish you all the best in finding what's best for you.

Dave

Edited by Dave_zoom_zoom
Hello hopz

I'm sure I'm at least as old as you, and likely a lot older. A long time ago my very best friend was killed on a motorcycle. That hurt me so badly it caused me to sell my bike and quit riding for many years. Although I'll never forget that tragedy I've been able to get back to riding once again, while enjoying the time spent doing so. I understand your concerns completely. They of course, very valid. I share those same concerns.

Each of us will most likely have a somewhat different approach in finding the best solution. I will share my approach with you, for whatever it's worth.

I tend to spend my time riding on less populated roads where the risk factor from other drivers is minimized. I still enjoy the challenges of riding faster than some highway signs might suggest and slicing a curve near a maximum lean angle while making every effort to brake and accelerate at the proper points all while hitting the best apex for that curve.

I tried a slower bike with a lower center of gravity, but that just didn't make me happy.

Dave

I appreciate your zeal for testing your skills against the road: "slicing a curve near a maximum lean angle". However, I wonder how you reconcile that with concerns about unknowns on public roads. Is there sand or a pothole or leaves in the middle of the corner. Will someone coming the other way be half, or all the way, over in my lane. I like riding, enjoy the adrenaline rush of speed and corners and have no desire to live forever, But I still find that the unknowns of corners on public roads keeps me way below testing the limits of either the bike or my skills.

About the three wheeler, was probably a Can Am Spyder. I bought one a few years ago and it's a lot of fun, kind of like riding an ATV or snowmobile on the street. The absence of worrying about foot placement on stops makes for a relaxing ride, especially two up. Will it replace motorcycles for me probably not, but I've been enjoying the Can Am RT. :thumbsup:

Test ride one and see if you like, it may take a few times to figure them out especially if you have no ATV / Snowmobile experience in your background.

Pat

Dave_zoom_zoom
Hello hopz

Dave

I appreciate your zeal for testing your skills against the road: "slicing a curve near a maximum lean angle". However, I wonder how you reconcile that with concerns about unknowns on public roads. Is there sand or a pothole or leaves in the middle of the corner. Will someone coming the other way be half, or all the way, over in my lane. I like riding, enjoy the adrenaline rush of speed and corners and have no desire to live forever, But I still find that the unknowns of corners on public roads keeps me way below testing the limits of either the bike or my skills.

Hello Green RT

I appreciate your concerns!

I'm blessed to live in an area that is a short distance from several roads with some great curves with open views. The cambers of the roads are mostly as they should be. When I'm ridding out on these roads it is in a more reserved manner while I scout road conditions. Coming back on the same road I'm normally able to turn up the wick a bit.

This is not road racing! While on public roads I very much believe in safety for both myself and others using our roads. Choosing a late apex is important to deal with unseen road conditions and / or oncoming traffic. I'm always respectful and friendly to others that share the road. Never placing others in a compromising situation and a friendly wave to all.

However, to me it's almost never about ridding in slow motion on long straight roads. I love the curves and enjoy doing them rather quickly without placing myself nor others in a bad position. Of course on roads I've not recently traveled the wick has to be turned down a bit. I've been blessed with over 40 years of "no accident" ridding and hope to have many more in the future.

Happy Trails

Dave

Edited by Dave_zoom_zoom

Hello Green RT

I appreciate your concerns!

I'm blessed to live in an area that is a short distance from several roads with some great curves with open views. The cambers of the roads are mostly as they should be. When I'm ridding out on these roads it is in a more reserved manner while I scout road conditions. Coming back on the same road I'm normally able to turn up the wick a bit.

This is not road racing! While on public roads I very much believe in safety for both myself and others using our roads. Choosing a late apex is important to deal with unseen road conditions and / or oncoming traffic. I'm always respectful and friendly to others that share the road. Never placing others in a compromising situation and a friendly wave to all.

However, to me it's almost never about ridding in slow motion on long straight roads. I love the curves and enjoy doing them rather quickly without placing myself nor others in a bad position. Of course on roads I've not recently traveled the wick has to be turned down a bit. I've been blessed with over 40 years of "no accident" ridding and hope to have many more in the future.

Happy Trails

Dave

Sounds very sensible. I rarely ride the same roads out and back, although I have thought about it. It does give you an advantage in reducing the chance of surprises.

Hi Hopz,

Wow, heavy topic. As others have said, it's your decision, I can only share my experience and decisions. I'm 71, have been riding off and on since I was twenty. I'm a two time cancer survivor and just was able to return to some frequent riding this last summer. Taking everything into account, riding is different now then before. I had a lot of thoughts during treatment when not riding - should I sell the bike, I'm not using it. Very practical thinking. While trying to make the decision, I ran into a friend who has a number of hobbies (toys). His thoughts - you never sell your toys, that's giving up! It's not a profound observation but the more I thought about it, I had to wonder if I was giving up. Do I give in to the illness and age? Well, I kept the bike. In fact last year for my 70th birthday I got a newer one and had a few rides before winter set in. This last summer I was able to ride a lot more. Not as much as I used to but one month my gas bill for the bike was more than my bill for the car. And I found that the motorcycle still makes me smile and that is so important. One beautiful crisp fall day here in New England I called a close friend from the bike and said I was in rapture. The smile, the joy, the sensory overload that we all feel on the bike can not and should not be given up lightly. It's an important part of our life.

But I had to make compromises. I no longer ride two-up. My rides are much shorter now, two to three hours at most. I'm fortunate to live in a part of Massachusetts that is not as developed as the eastern part of the state.I can easily choose two lane roads with little traffic. I have not ridden to the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire for three years now. Maybe I won't ever do that again,. But I still take my short(er) rides and find the same joy as always on the bike. It's part of my life and I don't want to give it up. That being said, there may be a time when I have to make that decision. If I find that I think I may be a danger to others, I'll have to quit. But my shorter, careful, more frequent rides are keeping the two-wheeled joy in my heart,

Hope this helps in some way.

Richard

Dave_zoom_zoom

Sounds very sensible. I rarely ride the same roads out and back, although I have thought about it. It does give you an advantage in reducing the chance of surprises.

Thank you Green RT!

And don't forget to aim for those "late apex's". They are a great help to cope with unforeseen problems!

Dave

I just had my 77th birthday a couple of days ago. I ride a 2015 RT and a K1600GT. It does cross my mind but it goes away quickly as soon as I get on those scooters.

Not yet! My riding buddies are always giving me crap about wanting to go to fast,to far and to early. Not yet...

GT

Hi Hopz,

Wow, heavy topic. As others have said, it's your decision, I can only share my experience and decisions. I'm 71, have been riding off and on since I was twenty. I'm a two time cancer survivor and just was able to return to some frequent riding this last summer. Taking everything into account, riding is different now then before. I had a lot of thoughts during treatment when not riding - should I sell the bike, I'm not using it. Very practical thinking. While trying to make the decision, I ran into a friend who has a number of hobbies (toys). His thoughts - you never sell your toys, that's giving up! It's not a profound observation but the more I thought about it, I had to wonder if I was giving up. Do I give in to the illness and age? Well, I kept the bike. In fact last year for my 70th birthday I got a newer one and had a few rides before winter set in. This last summer I was able to ride a lot more. Not as much as I used to but one month my gas bill for the bike was more than my bill for the car. And I found that the motorcycle still makes me smile and that is so important. One beautiful crisp fall day here in New England I called a close friend from the bike and said I was in rapture. The smile, the joy, the sensory overload that we all feel on the bike can not and should not be given up lightly. It's an important part of our life.

But I had to make compromises. I no longer ride two-up. My rides are much shorter now, two to three hours at most. I'm fortunate to live in a part of Massachusetts that is not as developed as the eastern part of the state.I can easily choose two lane roads with little traffic. I have not ridden to the mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire for three years now. Maybe I won't ever do that again,. But I still take my short(er) rides and find the same joy as always on the bike. It's part of my life and I don't want to give it up. That being said, there may be a time when I have to make that decision. If I find that I think I may be a danger to others, I'll have to quit. But my shorter, careful, more frequent rides are keeping the two-wheeled joy in my heart,

Hope this helps in some way.

Richard

Your comment about wondering if you were giving up struck a chord with me. I have not had your health issues to deal with. However, I took ten years off from riding, a combination of a forced absence for a job followed by several years of vacillation. Most of my life I have used a motorcycle as my only transportation. Where I live now, I don't need a vehicle and for several years I went without one because I suspected that I would rarely ride it. Finally, I decided that if I was still thinking about it, I should just do it. Not having a bike felt a little like I was giving up on life. So I bought an R1200R a couple of years ago. As expected I don't ride it very often. I don't use if for shopping or chores, just trips. It sometime sits for a month or two between trips. But when I do ride it I generally put 800 to 1000 km/day on it for a few days in a row. So, even with it sitting most of the time, I have put 25,000 km on it in the year and a half that I have had this one. My lifetime mileage on two wheels must be pushing a half a million miles incidentally. (200+50+100+15, actually I guess it is more like 400,000 miles or 600,000 km).

I am glad I got back into riding. I am 72 and accept that at some point I will have to quit riding. I don't see it happening any time soon. I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it, to invoke an unoriginal refrain.

Had the same thoughts in May, Bob, after I smashed into a solid rock road cut and fractured six ribs and poked a hole in a lung. As soon as I got home I had a local dealer friend pick my KGT up on consignment, with the idea I was proabably done. Four months later not a nibble, so took it home. Rode it a few times. Felt nervous. Suzanne has also quit riding, so I decided to go "smaller" and traded for an RT, partly because I thought I'd never sell the K. Still very tentative on the bike after jillions of miles of WFO all the time. Still ambivalent. Am trying to learn to ride slower...and enjoy it. Not really working yet. I guess my suggestion is to keep the bike until this time next year and see how many miles you rode, how much fun it was. Not having the partner riding with us makes a helluva difference to you and me, I think.

I'm only 53 but I've gone through this myself more than once. Been riding street bikes since HS (didn't even have a car until I was 21) on 10 different bikes. I've never crashed which I shouldn't say out loud! My first attempt at quitting riding was after bike 5 which was my '99 1100R. I've never been an aggressive rider but that bike was pushing me that way. Additionally I was riding it less and less and it more or less sat for the last few years I had it so I decided to sell and quit. That lasted six months until I saw a Harley '01 Superglide. I'd never ridden a Harley figuring they were over priced yet primitive paperweights but I jumped in as I wanted to try it and figured a Harley didn't need to be ridden aggressively. I truly liked that bike and even though it's no BMW I regret to this day selling it. The reason I did sell is because as much as I enjoyed the Harley I missed BMW so I got a K1200RS because, like the Harley I'd never owned a K bike. That thing was the highest performance bike I've ever had and I was either going to die riding it or pay a ton of speeding fines plus I simply missed the my boxer so my first 03 R1200R came along. Kinda like the first one I rode it to death for a while then kinda slowed down until again I just wasn't riding it much. Then I see a few first hand crashes including one where I heard the guy later died plus on my work blog I hear about a few guys crashing and dying so I sell it and swear off riding yet again. Maybe 8 months go by this time and I wind up getting another R1200R. The only reason I have the R1200RT now is because I test rode it while the the R12R was in for service and wow. My point with all this is I think for me there simply has to be a bike in the garage or I just don't feel "right". Whether I ride it or not is irrelevant. I truly now hope to be like some of you guys and ride until I just can't.

Edited by Daveyator
  • 2 weeks later...

And then there are guys like this who defy all common sense, but who clearly is the poster child for not tip toeing thru life only to arrive safely at Death's Door! Meet Bill, age 88y, who in the photo is just picking up his new K1600B after its 600m service. He took his prior K1600GT to the California Superbike School at the tender age of 87y!

fullsizeoutput_15d7.jpg

It's a tough call but w/ my personal and family history I figure stroke is probably in my future anytime from now going forward! So as long as the balance and awareness remains strong I'm going to continue riding, despite my osteoporosis! While I'd like something lighter than RTW is, in fact I'm hoping and mention this everywhere I can in the hopes a brand finally wakes up to this untapped, unaddressed market, I know that brute strength has virtually nothing to do w/ riding RTW or other heavier machines--it's balance and awareness that matter most. I can appreciate Hopz comments about traffic and so as I don't have to commute anymore I avoid traffic dense areas like the plague, never ride in the highest risk times for deer strikes, and avoid going at track speeds thru the twisties!

Edited by NoelCP
And then there are guys like this who defy all common sense, but who clearly is the poster child for not tip toeing thru life only to arrive safely at Death's Door! Meet Bill, age 88y, who in the photo is just picking up his new K1600B after its 600m service. He took his prior K1600GT to the California Superbike School at the tender age of 87y!

fullsizeoutput_15d7.jpg

It's a tough call but w/ my personal and family history I figure stroke is probably in my future anytime from now going forward! So as long as the balance and awareness remains strong I'm going to continue riding, despite my osteoporosis! While I'd like something lighter than RTW is, in fact I'm hoping and mention this everywhere I can in the hopes a brand finally wakes up to this untapped, unaddressed market, I know that brute strength has virtually nothing to do w/ riding RTW or other heavier machines--it's balance and awareness that matter most. I can appreciate Hopz comments about traffic and so as I don't have to commute anymore I avoid traffic dense areas like the plague, never ride in the highest risk times for deer strikes, and avoid going at track speeds thru the twisties!

Thank you for posting this! It's added at least two decades to my riding. ;)

Edited by roger 04 rt

My ridding buddy is 75. He had a R 1200 RT and found it was too much to handle. Sold it, bought a Goldwing Trike. Hated that it didn't lean. Bought a lowered F 700 GS. Decided to quit .. Bought a Miata. Missed riding too much. Has another lowered F 700 GS. We rode Colorado last summer using my son's house in Highlands Ranch as a base. The daily trip west to the mountains and back to Highlands Ranch on I 470 was more than he wanted to handle. As someone pointed out above. some drivers in Colorado are scary. We plan to go back this summer, find a place in the mountains and base our rides from there.

I feel like I need to ride more this year to regain some confidence after putting few miles on a bike last year. I mostly drove the sidecar rig which is not the same as riding a motorcycle.

When I decide for some reason I'm done on two wheels a Can Am might be the solution, or not.

Hopefully we all will know when to say when.

Great discussion.

It's a thought that crosses most minds as we arrive at geezerhood. Our abilities (and disabilities) vary considerably from person to person as we age. I've met guys in their mid-fifties who are frail and elderly, and others in their eighties who are strong and sharp. There are a lot of factors--genetics, occupation, nutrition, and environment, to name a few--but I think some of it, at least at the fringes, involves attitude.

As a 62 year old whippersnapper, I'd hope that I can continue riding into my eighties and perhaps beyond, but I'm also just now recovering from a fairly debilitating level of knee pain that my doc guesses is early stage osteoarthritis. I'm not so sure he's guessing correctly, but the salient point is that I was in so much pain over the past two months or so that a ride of any magnitude would have been out of the question. Honestly--and I know many here have dealt with far worse--it sucked. Things like this serve as a reminder that some of the best things in life tend to fade away with age. It also served as a catalyst to get me thinking about the what-ifs; in particular, those related to riding.

My take on it? It's been a core part of who I seen in the mirror for almost five decades (I'm counting the minibike years). I'm going to hold on to it as long as I can do so without becoming a menace, or until the pain and/or inconvenience outweigh the positives. I'd urge you to approach the decision with a fair amount of deliberation. If you walk away, it's unlikely you'll return. Ride when you want to . . . and if, at some point during your riding season, whatever that may be, you find that your motorcycle has become more of a garage queen than a source of riding enjoyment, walk away from it. On the other hand, even if you don't find yourself spanning the globe, if it brings you pleasure and you can do it safely, stick with it.

My plan of riding as long as possible just got another option after I realize that two wheels are getting out of my ability to physically handle. Yamaha Niken looks very interesting and I bet they have the same lean lock system for stops like the Piaggio

mp3 trike scooter. I did one 10 yr hiatus from motorcycles and those were among my least favorite years of my life.

https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2018/MXT850/950-75/2018-Yamaha-MXT850-EU-Graphite-Action-006.jpg

And if I am even close to the shape of that guy with the K1600B is at 88, I'll be all in on staying on two wheels too...just say'n!

It's a thought that crosses most minds as we arrive at geezerhood. Our abilities (and disabilities) vary considerably from person to person as we age. I've met guys in their mid-fifties who are frail and elderly, and others in their eighties who are strong and sharp. There are a lot of factors--genetics, occupation, nutrition, and environment, to name a few--but I think some of it, at least at the fringes, involves attitude.

As a 62 year old whippersnapper, I'd hope that I can continue riding into my eighties and perhaps beyond, but I'm also just now recovering from a fairly debilitating level of knee pain that my doc guesses is early stage osteoarthritis. I'm not so sure he's guessing correctly, but the salient point is that I was in so much pain over the past two months or so that a ride of any magnitude would have been out of the question. Honestly--and I know many here have dealt with far worse--it sucked. Things like this serve as a reminder that some of the best things in life tend to fade away with age. It also served as a catalyst to get me thinking about the what-ifs; in particular, those related to riding.

My take on it? It's been a core part of who I seen in the mirror for almost five decades (I'm counting the minibike years). I'm going to hold on to it as long as I can do so without becoming a menace, or until the pain and/or inconvenience outweigh the positives. I'd urge you to approach the decision with a fair amount of deliberation. If you walk away, it's unlikely you'll return. Ride when you want to . . . and if, at some point during your riding season, whatever that may be, you find that your motorcycle has become more of a garage queen than a source of riding enjoyment, walk away from it. On the other hand, even if you don't find yourself spanning the globe, if it brings you pleasure and you can do it safely, stick with it.

Mike, thanks for your insights. This thread has been very good for me, on many levels. After time away from riding, and after spine surgery a year ago, and another possible spine surgery ahead, I have been struggling with what to do. I bought a new R12GS last year and rode it less than 2,000 miles last season--not good. When I got back on, it took me quite a long time to gain back my confidence and after this winter of not riding, I will likely be starting all over (again) in the Spring. I have been very close to selling the GS and all my gear but your comment "If you walk away, it's unlikely you'll return." haunts me as I'm not ready to give in. I still have romantic notions of doing many trips and covering several miles. Besides, my GS fits me better than a Miata. Hope to see you this year!

It isn't age. It isn't attitude.

It is about reality.

Different for you and me and anyone else.

I moved out and slept on floors to get 1st bike.

Planned on riding "until", like many of us.

Thinking about changing and stopping is the first step.

My choice was expedited after 3 years of chemo and other meds.

Side effects leading to damaged connective tissue and strength/energy issues.

I can ride. But parts sometimes don't work.

Sometimes I can't even think of riding. Too much not right.

Eventually stopped and sold.

Not what I wanted, but right decision.

Most riding past 15 years was 2up.

Thought of and talked about other options like those mentioned.

We decided that wasn't for us, and even a 3 wheeler wouldn't work a lot of the time.

So I try to accept this new reality.

Not my plan, but after surviving multiple hit and run accidents, multiple years of chemo, and various other challenges, I've realized

what is important to me and mine can include not riding.

Still think about riding every day.

Miss it.

But life goes on.

Best wishes for a positive solution and the outcome you deserve.

Must say I have really enjoyed this thread . At 65 this is a topic that I think about all the time. I have been riding since I was 15 and plan on doing so for many more years. As with many here buy the time you reach this stage in life we have all been through many challenges,physical,mental and emotional.Riding has been the one thing in my life that has provided me with balance and direction. My "secret" is a well planned physical exercise program that targets all parts of the body required for riding. The only focus of my fitness routine is to be able to keep riding. The one thing that is out of our control is the increased stupidity of the driving public. I live in the Greater Toronto area and have seen a marked increase in close calls in the past few years. As a result I have reduced my speeds and raise my awareness level to HIGH ALERT every time I ride. Thanks again.

I too have given some thought to not riding anymore as my sense of balance seems to have diminished slightly. Should also mention I'm 74 but in good health and not overweight. I walk 3 miles everyday 7 days a week including some pretty strenuous hills. The reason I sold my R1150RT was due to the top heaviness issue and difficulty flat footing when stopped. I had dropped it several times. I replaced it with the 2010 FJR which seems to carry its weight somewhat lower and is easy to flat foot when stopped. I still miss the '04RT. I have thought about going for a new R1200RT but i hesitate because I know in my mind my years left for riding are most likely few. I don't like to think this way but I can't deny what I know to be true. Plan to do a lot of touring this summer forest fire smoke or no. Oh, I should also mention that my wife likes to ride as a passenger and I worry about putting her at risk as well as myself in fact more so. Don't want to be responsible for her being hurt.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this pathway in this thread yet but I know of one older guy who wanted to downsize and bought this very cool Burgman 650 Executive and he absolutely loves it. It sports the incredibly smooth 650cc motor that Vstrom enjoys, great for errands and shopping, is freeway worthy relatively speaking, electrically adjustable windscreen, apparently has a major fun factor from a few youtube videos I watched, weighs more than RT does but must have a much lower CoG. It solves some flexibility concerns for folks since you don't have to throw a leg over the seat. Good wind protection, and a fabulous trunk! I could see going down this path some day, but really what I want is for some brand to make the logical choice for all the myriad aging folks who find themselves concerned w/ curb weight but don't like to give up the full comfort & tech stuff found only on RTW on up in weight. Just imagine a truly fully featured Sport Tourer w the following attributes:

1. ~900cc, 105HP, transverse crankshaft engine to enable the seriously weight-reducing and power-transmission enhancing 50K change interval belt drive, wet curb weight w/ side cases: 520-530lb.

2. Standard: Dynamic ESA, Ride Modes, Cruise Control, ABS Pro, ASC, TPM, Heated Grips, Heated Seat, Electric Windscreen, side cases, ergonomics mimicking RTW

Right now this feature set doesn't happen until you got to RTW, and it goes up in weight from there: Concourse, Trophy, K1600, ST1300, FJR-ES, etc. And yet I don't think it has to be this way. I can see doing this at 525lbs, but it would take some engineering to pull it off well. I really loved the belt drive on my '13 F800GT and it just makes so much sense under the right circumstances, and F800GT was one of those. I can see pairing down R1200RTW's fairing design considerably while still retaining excellent wind control.

But until then this thing is pretty amazing I think!

Screen_Shot_2018-01-11_at_3.02.36_PM.jpg

I've seen people touring on the Burgman a couple times. Once saw one in a parking lot pulling one of those little motorcycle pop-up campers. Had stickers from all over, all over the camper. Always regretted not going in the restaurant and talking to the owner.

The Burgman is a great scoot. The engine is a 638cc parallel twin, not a (645cc) v-twin from the 650 V-Strom as NoelCP stated above.

Regardless, Birgmans are cool. When I was in France a few years ago, I met a British couple touring 2-up on on a Burgman 400, and they had their dog with them sitting on a cushion in the footwell!

Tim

My plan of riding as long as possible just got another option after I realize that two wheels are getting out of my ability to physically handle. Yamaha Niken looks very interesting and I bet they have the same lean lock system for stops like the Piaggio

mp3 trike scooter. I did one 10 yr hiatus from motorcycles and those were among my least favorite years of my life.

https://cdn.yamaha-motor.eu/product_assets/2018/MXT850/950-75/2018-Yamaha-MXT850-EU-Graphite-Action-006.jpg

And if I am even close to the shape of that guy with the K1600B is at 88, I'll be all in on staying on two wheels too...just say'n!

It appears that they do not have a walk away locking system. Otherwise it wouldn't need a side stand.

2019-Yamaha-Niken-front-end.jpg

Edited by Bud

Replying to JamesW, I quit taking passengers a while ago. When I had a Harley I barely noticed a passenger, but the RT is a different story. Too top heavy, a passenger screws up the handling. The RT is a handful. Like I said in another post, I was on a ferry from Vancouver Island back to Washington, and this older guy came up to me to talk. Said he knew the RT, too much for him. He rode a Harley look a like, lower center of gravity. He was 85! Maybe you should look at other makes. When i had the Harley it just flowed through the corners, the RT ricochetes off the corners.

It appears that they do not have a walk away locking system. Otherwise it wouldn't need a side stand.

Yeah, seems like it does not have that feature. Could be a likely future feature, or a great aftermarket accessory for someone to figure out.

Maybe it was the passenger?

Tens of thousands of miles with my wife.

Not once a handling issue.

'80 RT, '96 RSL, '03 GT

Best wishes.

Replying to JamesW, I quit taking passengers a while ago. When I had a Harley I barely noticed a passenger, but the RT is a different story. Too top heavy, a passenger screws up the handling. The RT is a handful. Like I said in another post, I was on a ferry from Vancouver Island back to Washington, and this older guy came up to me to talk. Said he knew the RT, too much for him. He rode a Harley look a like, lower center of gravity. He was 85! Maybe you should look at other makes. When I had the Harley it just flowed through the corners, the RT ricochetes off the corners.

Maybe it was the passenger?

Tens of thousands of miles with my wife.

Not once a handling issue.

'80 RT, '96 RSL, '03 GT

Best wishes.

No experience with HDs but I wonder if the limited rear suspension travel helped with the consistency of ride one or two up. Both my '99 and '15 RTs required adjusting the suspension to maintain the handling sweet spot when going two up. Super easy to adjust on my '15 with ESA.

But back to Big Tups point which I think points to a low saddle height and low CG would help hide the heft when out and about. For me it is more about when not in motion and pushing the bike around the garage, or picking up a toppled bike. In these cases it seems that less mass is the only fix. 250 to 500 cruiser HD clone comes to mind. Lots of them can be found in the Asia markets...not so much here.

Yeah, seems like it does not have that feature. Could be a likely future feature, or a great aftermarket accessory for someone to figure out.

I thought it was a very big oversight. One of the benefits of a 3 wheeler is the ability to get off and walk away. For those who's balance is an issue to riding, it could be a deal breaker.

I'm interested to see one in person as well as see how well they sell.