IGNORED

Heated Gloves vs Heated Glove Liners

Indy Dave

I opted to start a new thread for this, although we have some excellent heated gear threads already that cover the subject in general.

I note that some folks make heated glove liners in addition to Heated Gloves. Hmm. I just got a new pair of heated gloves in a trade in program, somehow I missed the option for liners. The idea seems to have some potential upsides - the option of wearing several pairs gloves as needed and probably retaining a better feel vs thicker winter/heated gloves. Are the liners a replacement for heated gloves, or more of just a mid temperature aid for folks who don't have heated grips?

Anyone use heated liners instead of heated gloves?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I checked them out once at a store. Was intrigued until I thought about it. You'll need larger gloves to accommodate the liners. Might feel odd without the liners in. Now, if you have a pair of gloves that are big, you might have a winner.

I think they would need larger gloves to work right. Which defeats some of the purpose of them.

For the same reason I went with heated insoles over heated socks, you might also be able to feel the heating elements and that may cause discomfort on a long ride.

I bought some a few years ago....bigger gloves required for sure. I gave them away. I bought a pair of heated gloves which work great, but as indicated they are bulky. No more cold thumbs for me. The gloves attach to the connections on my vest and I plug the jacket dual controller into the cigar lighter on the panel. I think that is only rated for 10 amps. The jacket and gloves together on high will draw more than 10 amps. I've had the circuit go off-line once while idling in traffic but it has never gone off-line while riding. A quick turn off and on of the key reset everything.

I've had both. I traded the liners for a price break on gloves. The liners worked well with a pair of gloves that were a little larger, but putting on two sets of gloves became a bit of a pain when I was using the liners on my ATV rides where we stop more frequently then when riding the bike. The other downside I found was that when I needed to slip out of gloves to do something that required more dexterity the gloves over liners were a hassle.

So...taking this in a different direction...two questions:

1. What companies offered the heated liners you all mentioned?

2. Does anyone offer liners (or gloves) which only heat the top of the hand? Heated grips work fine for me most of the time, and I have some BMW winter gloves from years past. However, there are a few times when I'd appreciate some heat for the entire hand.

3. Three questions. Has anyone made, or know of parts and/or instructions, to make one's own heated liners?

So...taking this in a different direction...two questions:

1. What companies offered the heated liners you all mentioned?

I got mine from Powerlet

I can only answer question 1. Mine were First Gear....I think, not sure, I got them from RevZilla They worked fine, just didn't like as others mentioned the need for bigger gloves, taking off the main glove do something and still had gloves on.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

3. Three questions. Has anyone made, or know of parts and/or instructions, to make one's own heated liners?

Whilst it is probably not the quality level of Black Knight Bridge Security, someone did that on ADVRIDER IIRC. Got wire and sewed over a set of thin gloves. Made connections to sockets with, I think, a resistor in line to make the circuit right. Had to be at least 2 years ago. What's a guy to do when no one tries to cross the bridge......for years?

I have both. I have the liners from Dianese. Same issues as the others.

I am using my Gerbing gloves these days.

Instructables has some information on carbon tape use for heated clothes and gloves. Looks a bit crude.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-carbon-heated-gloves-1/

But, what I want to know is, where'd they get that heat sensitive camera?!?!

Edited by NickInSac

Whilst it is probably not the quality level of Black Knight Bridge Security, someone did that on ADVRIDER IIRC. Got wire and sewed over a set of thin gloves. Made connections to sockets with, I think, a resistor in line to make the circuit right. Had to be at least 2 years ago. What's a guy to do when no one tries to cross the bridge......for years?

Somewhere there's a website with instructions for using carbon tape for vests and gloves but I don't remember the link.