IGNORED

Final Drive Drain Plug Repair

ron c

2004 R1150RT

All,

The threads on my final drive drain hole are very near failure. They haven't failed yet but failure is coming soon. The plug itself is ok ........the

threads in the final drive casting are the problem. I've come up with 2 solutions.

1) I can buy a 1mm oversize plug, then drill and tap to fit for very little money but that leaves threads in the soft final drive casting

2) buy an expensive Time-Sert thread repair kit and hope the casting is thick enough for the Time-Sert to seat properly

I prefer to not use a Heii-Coil.

There may be other options I haven't thought about.

Your thoughts?

Ron C.

2004 R1150RT

All,

The threads on my final drive drain hole are very near failure. They haven't failed yet but failure is coming soon. The plug itself is ok ........the

threads in the final drive casting are the problem. I've come up with 2 solutions.

1) I can buy a 1mm oversize plug, then drill and tap to fit for very little money but that leaves threads in the soft final drive casting

2) buy an expensive Time-Sert thread repair kit and hope the casting is thick enough for the Time-Sert to seat properly

I prefer to not use a Heii-Coil.

There may be other options I haven't thought about.

Your thoughts?

Evening Ron

Personally I would just drill it then tap for an oversized plug. You don't have a lot of thread depth material in that area but should be plenty for an oversized plug.

If you don't cross thread the new one & don't overtighten it then it should last for the life of the bike (I have removed & reinstalled plenty & never had one strip on me).

You just have to be ultra careful to not get the drilling shavings or the tapping shaving into the final drive as that can run the bearings. You also need to keep the drilling & tapping straight so the new plug will seal all the way around (not go in at an angle)

Another option (if your existing plug has enough threads left to allow snugging up) is to drill your (removed) existing plug, then tap the plug center for a smaller drain plug.

Then super clean the plug threads & final drive threads, then use or Red or (Green bearing mount) Loc-Tite to permanently install your original plug.

Then use the smaller plug for future final drive service.

Thanks Mr. DR. Your advice is always respected. If I end up drilling/taping I expect to split the FD to keep chips out.

Regards, Ron

With either the insert or just tapping to an oversized hole you're going to have to enlarge the whole about the same amount, yeah?

With that in mind I'd do the simpler method - as D.R. suggests - in the future be careful to use clean threads and proper torque and it should be good for the rest of the bike's life.

locktite form-a-thread

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797876355073

is another option. and since there is no load on this plug it may be worth considering. i have used it on damaged steel structural fame threads on a norton commando....

Wow - that's something I've not heard of. I had a tech partially bugger up two of the seat/tank frame mounting holes on my LT - I think I'll try to put hands on this and try it out there.

Thanks!