IGNORED

So you think your fast huh?

Lone_RT_rider

I live by this concept.

I'm not as fast as I used to be.

And I didn't used to be fast.

Words to live by. The older I get, the slower I go, but it seems faster than ever.

The SR 71 was hand drawn and drafted to get it right from there. In todays world of finite analysis and CAD some have said they cannot believe that it was designed the way it was. Still the most beautiful aircraft ever. Still the fastest ( we probably don't know exactly how fast it has actually gone...).

From an age where "that won't work, you can't do that, and it doesn't meet all the safety protocols" were not in the vocabulary. Sort of like landing and bringing back a man from the Moon!

The SR 71 was hand drawn and drafted to get it right from there. In todays world of finite analysis and CAD some have said they cannot believe that it was designed the way it was. Still the most beautiful aircraft ever. Still the fastest ( we probably don't know exactly how fast it has actually gone...).

From an age where "that won't work, you can't do that, and it doesn't meet all the safety protocols" were not in the vocabulary. Sort of like landing and bringing back a man from the Moon!

That's the sort of stuff my grandfather did for Boeing and it's pretty amazing. He didn't talk about it much - hardly at all really - but I know he worked on parts of the design for the eventually scrapped Boeing SST, parts of the space shuttle system and the propulsion systems for the Saturn V (which is the only one I remember him talking about).

My grandfather primarily worked for Boeing in Seattle, but he was part of the team that went to Huntsville for the Saturn V project and we were lucky enough to get to visit the Rocket Center there last year. My grandfather died before my son, now nine, was born, but while we were there we happened to meet a gentleman who'd worked with my grandfather...so, standing in a rather large room under a rather large rocket, my son got to hear about what his great-grandfather had done. It was pretty amazing. Hard to imagine all the pencil and paper calculations that planned those things out, and then all the hand built and measured components coming together to make it. ...and I think Jeremiah got a kick out of learning that the huge ring of sensors and computers controlling the directional system had less processing power than his cell phone wrist watch.

What a great video, if that doesn't make you laugh you'd better check your pulse. Saw my first Blackbird in 1972, made an emergency landing at a northern Thailand airport and all of us were in complete awe. Since I've traveled a lot, worked for Boeing 31 years and still during our summers in OR and WA I swing by the Evergreen Space and Aviation museum (McMinneville OR) and stand next to one, still in complete awe.