IGNORED

Leather Treatment

jolawson

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I use Skidmores, don't accidentally mis-spell or mis-pronounce :grin:. It has some animal fat in it from what I can tell, maybe some wax too.

Any product suggestions for treating leather seat tops for best resolutions against water damage, other than protective covers ?

When I remember, I use Lexol cleaner then conditioner. I've had the Corbin for about 100k miles(bikes at 108k) and it's doing fine. I generally remember to condition it when the seat gets that "white haze" look to it. I'm not much on cosmetic maintenance. The bike is garaged at night, but sits in all weather during the work day as I ride in the hot, cold, rain and dry,.......and even hail and snow when it happens.

This may come as a surprise. Lemon Pledge. Many years ago I fooled with show cars. Some of the fancy leather conditioners were causing the stitching to degrade in seats. Leather was fine, but stitching not so much. I was told by a seat cover manufacturer to use Lemon Pledge. The oils in it penetrate and condition leather just about as good as anything. There is nothing in it to attack stitching. The wax in it gives a nice protection to the leather surface. It also helps clean the surface. I have used this since the 80's and really have zero complaints.

So glad to hear another use fro Lemon Pledge. It already is the only thing I use on my windscreen, plastic and chrome tailpipe. If LP works on leather too, then it should be all I need for the whole bike.

So glad to hear another use for Lemon Pledge.

If I am not in a hurry, I spray it on the seats and let it set a 1/2 hour or so. That lets it penetrate a bit. Good stuff!

Back when I was racing, my mentor, Gordon (5'7" tall, 5'9" around), had a lot of idiosyncrasies. SOME of his ideas were good. MOST o f them would get you killed (Racing tip #1: "You don't need to brake for turn one. The bike will make the turn easy.")

Anyway, I had to assign my girlfriend the task of following him around to keep the rest of us out of trouble. Why, you ask? One day I hopped on my bike for practice, and went putting off down the track. Noramlly, when I get to turn one, I would slide my butt to the inside of the turn, get the knee out, and carve around the turn like Vale. Except this day, Gordon had sprayed my seat with Pledge ("to help you move around easier"), and I damn near slid completely off the bike. Only extremely well toned and powerful butt muscles kept me from falling off the bike.

Moral of the story: Lemon Pledge is slippier than eel crap on the ocean floor. Use with caution if you like to ride like a road racer.

If it helps bugs slide off yur windshield, then guess it would not help yur butt ! Thanks for the heads up, might not have considered that until it was too late !