IGNORED

You think you're a tough rider?

Bill_Walker

Was raised on a farm; I'll guarantee you true farmers are a tough breed. Not to hijack but if you've never read "Into Thin Air" (Mt Everest disastrous year) it's another reminder about the indomitable human spirit.

I had a lentil farmer roommate in college. "tweaked" his neck jumping in a pool. He went home and spent an hour rubbing it out in a hot shower. Finally decided to go to the doctor the next day. Spent the next several months in a halo.

The hair thing, though... that does make for one helluva good, and guresome story!

Edited by elkroeger
Was raised on a farm; I'll guarantee you true farmers are a tough breed. Not to hijack but if you've never read "Into Thin Air" (Mt Everest disastrous year) it's another reminder about the indomitable human spirit.

+1 on Into Thin Air! great adventure read

Joe Frickin' Friday
Was raised on a farm; I'll guarantee you true farmers are a tough breed.

Seconded.

When I was in college in North Dakota, there was a farm kid who got both of his arms ripped off simultaneously by farm machinery. He was all alone but managed to get back into the house, where he dialed 911 using a pencil in his mouth - and then went and waited in the bathtub so he wouldn't bleed all over the carpet. Not exaggerating. :eek:

I suppose holding your own head up by your hair instead of your neck muscles while you ride to safety should merit induction into that same "tough-SOB" hall of fame.

Wow, I'd be screwed in that situation. I don't have anything up there to hang on to.

Likewise. Plus, I'd have a helmet on.

Friend of a friend, broke his neck out on the river. Only way back, to paddle canoe, which he did. Then got to 7 Rivers Hospital by driving. Immediately put in a halo, for a long time. Turned out he was into bdy building big time and had very developed musculature, including neck, shoulders, traps, etc. Sometimes people do incredible things. He eventually healed and completely recovered.