IGNORED

Audiophile Questions

Sonor

Hey any Audiophiles out there?

So I used to be one, but it has been years since I was seriously into making purchases for component audio systems. Now I find it really hard to find components and rather everything seems to be combined to the point that video is also part of the amplification process. So, to that point I am looking at AV receivers and am realizing that my knowledge is WAY out of date. No longer is RMS used as a standard for sound output but everything seems to want to be controlled by your smartphone. Bluetooth, wireless speakers, multi room broadcasts, internet connectivity, video enhancing, etc. are all a new frontier. Don't get me wrong, I understand these concepts as I am in IT but having them included in a receiver/amplifier is, well, different and not all that unexpected. So my big questions are:

1 Components were always the items to address serious sound replication. Do these newer systems provide a similar quality of sound?

2 Is a video amplifier needed if I already have a 4K HD Tele?

3 I always found there to be a big difference in sound going from records to CDs with records being a more true sound, it would therefore seem to me that wireless speakers could not replicate a true sound as well. Is this fact?

4 I notice a very large difference in capabilities between a $1000 AV receiver/amp and a $2000 unit. Is it worth the price?

5 Should I stay the course for components or ________?

Any input would be appreciated.

My feeling is that electronics have gotten better, cheaper, and digital, to the point that even cheap devices reproduce sound better than the very high end stuff of 20+ years ago. So good that most people cannot detect meaningful differences, so now the important distinguishing characteristics are convenience and connectivity.

So says the guy whose audiophile tendencies peaked with a '70s quadrophonic Realistic amp with Citation speakers (now installed in the garage), a Garrard turntable and a Nakamichi cassette deck. I discovered that I seldom listen closely enough to appreciate the nuances between different high end equipment, and when I did, "different" was not inherently "better". A good recording is one I enjoy, not one whose characteristics need an oscilloscope to detect. The only sounds I would consider "true" are live.

Edited by lkraus

I used to work in electronic repairs at a Hi-Fi dealership many years ago so I have my ears trained a bit to evaluate audio. I'll address your questions with my limited recent experiences. I'll also add that I went to my current setup due to getting a good HD Sony flat screen LED TV. Problem is inherent in the flat screens is of course no room for proper speakers. Also at my house the method of listening to music has evolved to using streaming services like Pandora & Slacker for convenience. For my convenience I'm just using plain stereo with pretty good results in my living room BTW.

1. I have a Denon AVR-1712 Reciever (made in China) that I'm very pleased with using Klipsch Heresy speakers for my TV.

2.Not sure on the video amp, but a sound amp IMHO yes if you wish to exploit the sound quality available.

3.Can't verify that point by a test result, but modern electronics should have no problem with Hi-Fi wireless transmissions. The records vs CD's argument has 2 sides with warmth of sound vs noise and too long to document here.

4.My Chinese Denon was around $550 a few years back and has such good low end response that I hear sounds that I had missed with a Tandberg Receiver I used to use.

5.Your choice, but if you can incorporate components with your TV it will probably please you MUCH better than any of the commercial sound bars I've listened to.

Personally, I don't mix my video and audio equipment. I'm probably behind the times in that regard, but my video inputs directly into the TV (or through HDMI to the Soundbar). Yes, I have played tunes via Bluetooth to the soundbar, but that's just for ease and background and does not remotely compare to the sound larger drivers produce.

I think may manufacturers have included video to stay relevant to younger folks - but the Land of Separates is alive and well.

I do not stream via the typical and very popular apps. I have a fairly large library of music that I've converted to .flac files and I keep 30 gig or so rotating on my phone. Everything is a trade off and the ease of satellite radio and streaming services are countered by the compression music goes through to conserve bandwith.

And to Georges point, I agree. Upstairs in the living room, we have a TV and sound bar. It's good enough. In the basement is a TV with proper audio speakers running through an amplifier - with the video audio signal only going to the amplifier. Yes, it takes separate remotes, but let's face it - All the World's indeed a Stage and a sound bar comes up painfully short in that respect.

A wise investment might a decent dac . . .

For serious listening and proper levels of volume, upstairs I use a stand alone system and turn up the music and smile . . .till the wife comes home and asks "What's that Racket?!" and I retreat to the basement. Or better yet, the bike.

"For serious listening and proper levels of volume, upstairs I use a stand alone system and turn up the music and smile," or in the garage or the office :thumbsup:

I have 3 old school systems Big, yes, take up space, yes, sound terrific.. YES. :clap:

Vinyl is king at my house with over 1,000 in the collection. CD's are ok in garage and even older cassettes are cool.

I did sell all the 8 tracks. :rofl:

It is interesting the paths we all take and the results. All of us are similar in many ways. I still have high end components from years ago and some newer pieces as well. I struggled to find the best CD component I could about 10 years ago and while it provides decent sound, the quality and imagery produced by vinyl still out shines digital by far despite any pops or shhh sounds (which are minimal).

All of that said, as I progress down the path of learning about the equipment of today, should something really strike me as note worthy, I will post about it. For the time being, I will continue my research and keep in mind use per audience and location.