IGNORED

R1150r Telelever Ball Joint Failure?

eliastfk93

I recently noticed a "clicking" sensation while turning the bars on my 04 rockster. I feel like it's coming from that single ball joint in the telelever arm. I notice this when the bike is on the ground and when there is no weight on the front end while up on the center stand. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there a major safety risk at the moment? (bike is my daily commuter)

2) Is there a way to determine if the whole joint is bad or if it's just the rubber boot?

3) Where is the best place to source a replacement? (Trying to avoid the dealer, but will buy one there if i must)

Morning eliastfk93

I recently noticed a "clicking" sensation while turning the bars on my 04 rockster. I feel like it's coming from that single ball joint in the telelever arm. I notice this when the bike is on the ground and when there is no weight on the front end while up on the center stand.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is there a major safety risk at the moment? (bike is my daily commuter)-- No way to know as we can't see, feel, or test the ball joint integrity over the internet. If the ball joint is bad enough it could be a safety concern so you should probably have it checked out by a qualified technician.

2) Is there a way to determine if the whole joint is bad or if it's just the rubber boot?-- It is easy to visually inspect the rubber boot so that is easy. It is more difficult to test/inspect the ball joint itself as you can't see down inside it. With no load on the front wheel if there is any play in the joint, or joint lateral movement, or fore/aft movement, or you track that clicking back to the actual ball joint itself then you need to either replace it or have an expert inspect it.

3) Where is the best place to source a replacement? (Trying to avoid the dealer, but will buy one there if i must)--

--Good question. The dealer or new BMW parts is probably the safest place but if carful then a good used from Beemer boneyard or E-Bay would probably work OK (I would imagine that with Beemer Boneyard or E-Bay you would probably get the entire fork bridge joint & all).

Edited by dirtrider

The rubber boot isn't avail new from BMW, and should you need the ball joint, it is available separately.

The thing is, ("with my typical dealer attitude") in all the years i worked at a dealership, I don't know of one instance where we replaced a ball joint due to wear.

After a collision, yes, if the ball joint boot was found to be torn, yes. But not due to wear.

I'm sure it happens, but i wonder of it could be the rotors, the pads, or something else clicking.

The rubber boot isn't avail new from BMW, and should you need the ball joint, it is available separately.

The thing is, ("with my typical dealer attitude") in all the years i worked at a dealership, I don't know of one instance where we replaced a ball joint due to wear.

After a collision, yes, if the ball joint boot was found to be torn, yes. But not due to wear.

I'm sure it happens, but i wonder of it could be the rotors, the pads, or something else clicking.

I drove myself crazy looking for the clicking source, my rotors are in good shape and my pads are brand new. I inspected the bearing in the steering stem and it looks alright. But when I have the bike on the center stand, I have absolutely no play ( fore and aft) in the forks. Wheel bearings also seem fine.

I drove myself crazy looking for the clicking source, my rotors are in good shape and my pads are brand new. I inspected the bearing in the steering stem and it looks alright. But when I have the bike on the center stand, I have absolutely no play ( fore and aft) in the forks. Wheel bearings also seem fine.

Afternoon eliastfk93

You might take a look at the steering lock (especially if it was not used for a long time then used just before the clicking started) --If that isn't fully retracted it can click as the hole crosses the partially retracted pin.

Try lubricating the pin then operate the steering lock a number of times.

You can get the ball joint off the bike, but still mounted to the "bridge" between the forks, pretty easy.

With it in hand, you can twist it around and check for notches.

There are rubbers that you can put over the joint, with fresh grease, and install it back, in case your rubber is broken.

Dan.