IGNORED

BG1100RT rider

Welcome to the group BG1100RT, it is good to have you here. When you have a chance tell us more about you and feel free to post pictures of the new bike.

Be well.

Terry

Welcome BG. How did you manage to get a 96 RT with 16k miles?

Great bike. I love mine - 174k miles. I'm a little concerned about a bike that has had such little use. You will probably have to replace fuel hoses and brake hoses. Don't worry about it though, there are lots of great helpers here.

Welcome BG! What a find and with low, low miles! Gonna be some envious riders out your way. Please do post up some pictures, bonus points if you can figure out how post them on your first try! :read:

One other thing - check out a couple of gatherings out your way. You might look at the UN and Torrey.

Welcome!!

Welcome aboard BG. I too have a 96RT. Mine has 116,354 on the clock and running fine. Nothing but routine maintenance and a few pre emptive parts change outs. You have thousands of happy miles ahead.

BG1100RT rider

Yeah Workin them Angels... about the Picture thing ... I already failed that test... any advice, why is it so difficult... bought it from a Die hard BMW guy , had 2 other BMW's in his Garage, liked riding the others better...hence the Milage

Questions good, you have! There is a section dedicated to this issue that even includes a thread that provides a spot that encourages one to test-post pictures - I guess one could say it's kind of a rite of passage to learn to post pics here. :rofl:

Board support thread

Having been where you are, I know the frustration! Allow me to offer to post the photos for you - you can send them to me at: startfarting@gmail.com

BG - Being new here, it occurs to me that the email address "startfarting" might cause one to have pause to respond or reply to. While my wife (and others) might suggest that I would be well qualified in the Art of Passing Gas, it goes without saying that those of you who know the Fine and Cultured person Yours Truly IS, this notion is in fact preposterous, Slanderous and Fake News! Nothing could from further from the truth. The fact that I'm often relegated to the rear of a group of riders is simply coincidence and has no basis in fact in regards to farting. Having said that, I do find it curious that everyone in front of me rides so much quicker then me (and never tell me our destination) that if I didn't know better, I might think they were trying to ditch me and leave me in the dust. But I know that's not the case, because they always leave me with the check when we stop.

But I digress. . . . That is a REAL and working email address and it references the START and FART seasonal rides you can lean about in the 'Event and Ride planning section.

Again, Welcome!

Edited by workin' them angels

Welcome. Love many aspects of my '99R1100RT and at 16,600 yours is just broken in with tons of miles of fun in front of you. Glacier green is a great color too...but the Boston Green color is just a little bit faster :grin:

• 1 month later...
BG1100RT rider

Lowndes, well, that's an interesting thought, but I'm going to have to Pass... I would be denied all the enjoyment of Riding such an Amazing find. Crazy thing is, the guy I bought it from lives less than 5 minutes away from me!

BG,

Yeah, I know, but it's just such a pristine specimen of a classic bike. You have a real treasure there. It is getting toward the vintage stage but it is a classic. CONGRATS on an excellent find. And YOU will fit in really well here, too.

I have a '99 RT, same color, only 44K but it has a "salvage" title. The original owner dropped it in a parking lot at some point and crunched the right side tupperware to the extent that it totaled the bike. The guy I bought it from repaired it but was too short to reach the ground and was scared of it. He sold it to me and I was going to make it my commuter bike, got it all fixed up.

You did good!! Ride and enjoy.

Welcome and it's a great looking ride. IMHO The 110/1150 RT's are some of the finest looking motorcycles ever made.

Possible heads up. Even with the low mileage there may be some preventative maintenance due to age. For instance, the brake lines, if they are OEM, deteriorate from the inside out.

Don't know you age, but you might not live long enough to wear that bike out.

Glad to have you here as a member. Going to START or FART or the UN-Rally is a good way to meet a lot of fine members of this forum. The forum has articles about almost anything you could possibly want to do to your bikes as they were the rage when the forum got started and members help members with everything related to the bikes.

Looking forward to hearing your impression of the bike after having a chance to bump up the mileage a little bit.

Red- we must have ridden together cause I have a 96 with almost EXACTLY the same miles as yours about 500 shy of 117k. I'm a Sinus blue with a (slightly lighter) repaint. Dave

Dave,

Perhaps we're riding in parallel universes? I have always said that if I could buy another new 96 for the same price ($15,200) I'd do it in a minute. The 96 is everything I ever wanted in a motorcycle and more. I saw one at the Billings, MT MOA rally with 4,800 on the clock. If I could have found the owner I'd have written him a check on the spot for even an unreasonable price.

Red- i did a R1100RT demo ride at the 99 MOA National in Rheinbeck, NY and always said in 2006 I'll get a 96. Well I couldn't afford one until 2013, after I sold my airhead RT. I bought 1000RT with 99k and it was cosmetically pretty banged up, but I'm pretty good with bondo, and base coat/ clear coat. and now with 117k she looks great. A guy at a restaurant last summer asked me if I had the RT parked outside with 114k on it. It's fun going in for my state inspection at my local Kawi dealership- They can't believe the mileage! Dave

Edited by Dave P
BG1100RT rider

Hey Bud, Thanks for the words of advice, I owned a 2000 K1200 LT , learned about the brake lines the hard way... went for a fast stop and the front line burst , Lucky for me I got that beast stopped, pulled to the side of the road, discarded my soiled shorts! and rode ever so cautiously back home, replaced them with Spieglers... these ones that are on the 1100 are actually in very good shape, that being said, they are rubber. I will perform the same brake line procedure as I did on the K 1200LT. I am going to post a question about operating Temp... how many Bars on the Temp gauge?? The outside air is cool, 50's and I see maybe Midway on the Gauge...5 bars lite up ... I just replaced the Oil and Filter , just Curious...Newbie

BG1100RT rider

Dave,

Thanks for posting my Pictures! Damn , That's one good looking Bike! Like my Carbon Fiber wrapped Mirrors... I was messing around , there 50/50 look great at 50MPH or 50 feet, they have a few wrinkles around the edge, but hey don't we all....

Thanks Again!

BG

Hey Bud, Thanks for the words of advice, I owned a 2000 K1200 LT , learned about the brake lines the hard way... went for a fast stop and the front line burst , Lucky for me I got that beast stopped, pulled to the side of the road, discarded my soiled shorts! and rode ever so cautiously back home, replaced them with Spieglers... these ones that are on the 1100 are actually in very good shape, that being said, they are rubber. I will perform the same brake line procedure as I did on the K 1200LT. I am going to post a question about operating Temp... how many Bars on the Temp gauge?? The outside air is cool, 50's and I see maybe Midway on the Gauge...5 bars lite up ... I just replaced the Oil and Filter , just Curious...Newbie

BG,

It's not the miles on the brake lines, it's the years. DOT4 is not nice to a lot of things.

You will eventually need several other age-related replacements/upgrades, like the fuel tubing in the tank, HES wiring, left side cam chain tensioner.

But it sure LOOKS GREAT!! And IS great!!

Sitting on it must be like time travel.