IGNORED

Brake caliper w/seized piston..

cat0020

2002 R1100S with servo-assis ABS II, front left (clutch) side caliper seems to have a seized piston.

I'm thinking it's time to replace the OEM brake lines, maybe ditch the ABS, servo unit that drains battery power unnecessarily.

Has anyone done it before? does removal of ABS require replacement of ECU (to non-ABS model) to bypass the ABS brake fault at start?

2002 R1100S with servo-assis ABS II, front left (clutch) side caliper seems to have a seized piston.

I'm thinking it's time to replace the OEM brake lines, maybe ditch the ABS, servo unit that drains battery power unnecessarily.

Has anyone done it before? does removal of ABS require replacement of ECU (to non-ABS model) to bypass the ABS brake fault at start?

Morning cat0020

ABS-II is pre servo braking (through late 2001)

If your bike has servo assist then it has the I-ABS system (makes a BIG difference in how you remove it!

If your bike is a 2002 (S) model then removing the system is easy or more difficult DEPENDING--

If your I-ABS servo system is currently working OK & your speedometer is working correctly then you can remove the ABS servo side of the system & RETAIN the operational black box on the ABS module to drive the speedometer & brake/tail lights. (just need to make a water proof cover for the ABS electronic black box).

On the other hand if your bike has the I-ABS (servo) system & the Speedometer currently doesn't work properly then removing the ABS system is a REAL PAIN in the A$$.

So before we go much farther please confirm that your 1100 S bike is 2002 or later & now has servo assist brakes?

Bike has BMW brake calipers,

s-l300.jpg

NOT Brembo calipers..

s-l225.jpg

does that help determine the brake system?

Edited by cat0020
Bike has BMW brake calipers,

NOT Brembo calipers..

does that help determine the brake system?

Morning cat0020

If your bike was an R or RT bike then I would definitely say yes but the (S) is a different animal (especially the 2002 model year) so it should but I can't say that with confidence.

Does your bike have servo assist braking?

Yes, that's why I said that it's draining the battery power unnecessarily.

I don't use the brakes a whole lot, when I do, servo is just way too intrusive.

Yes, that's why I said that it's draining the battery power unnecessarily.

I don't use the brakes a whole lot, when I do, servo is just way too intrusive.

Afternoon cat0020

OK, as long as the speedometer is working OK now then you can remove the servo part of the ABS system and retain the electronic part of the ABS controller to operate the speedometer & brake lights by building a moisture-proof block off plate, then re-plumb the brake lines to be direct from each master cylinder to the calipers.

I can't remove the ABS controller and bypass speedo/brake lights with a different ECU?

Is there a previous thread about this topic that I missed? I tried to search for "ABS-ectomy", "ABS removal", Servo-assist Brake removal".. not much luck.

I can't remove the ABS controller and bypass speedo/brake lights with a different ECU?

Is there a previous thread about this topic that I missed? I tried to search for "ABS-ectomy", "ABS removal", Servo-assist Brake removal".. not much luck.

Morning cat0020

Not that I know of as the non ABS 1100S bike uses a different rear wheel sensor, different type of final drive, & different dash electronics to make the speedometer operate.

I suppose you could find, buy, then install ALL the parts to convert to a non-ABS speedometer but that would probably be cost prohibitive & a LOT of work, as well as some bike wiring changes.

MUCH, MUCH easier to just use the existing electronics on your current ABS controller.

Or, if you don't require an operational speedometer (use your GPS for speedometer) then you could use the standard 1150RT or 1100R ABS removal procedure of removing the entire ABS controller then making a relay/ harness to allow brake & tail light function using your current reverse logic brake switches.

I guess the bottom line on your (ABS 1100 S bike) is that the dash speedometer works from & through the ABS electronics so IF you remove the entire ABS controller (like on the R or RT 1150 bike) you will also lose your dash speedometer. The simple work around is to retain the original ABS system electronic box by unbolting it from the ABS controller module then building a water tight block off plate. This also retains the brake & tail lights without making a relay/harness interface.

The hard way is to find, buy, install ALL the parts required to convert your 1100S bike to a factory non-ABS motorcycle (lots of expensive difficult to find parts with a LOT of work to install.

The half-a$$ way is to do the standard 1150RT, 1150R ABS system removal by using a stand alone relay & homemade wire harness interface (this covers the braking & tail/brake light part) then live without a functioning factory speedometer.

Edited by dirtrider

You can remove the ABS/servo, but why? Everything is working fine, just ride the bike. When the ABS unit drains the battery, the alternator will charge it back :)

If you do want to remove it, remove the brain from the unit, remove the two ribbon wires that drive the mechanical part and put the brain back on the bike, and the rear light will function as before.

Dan.

, maybe ditch the ABS, servo unit that drains battery power unnecessarily.

I don't get it! You have a perfectly good system and you want to ditch it. You say it's draining battery power...well, no it isn't. The alternator output is huge. It is MORE than able to cope with the servo, plus just about every other electrical farkle you could throw at the bike.

, maybe ditch the ABS, servo unit that drains battery power unnecessarily.

I don't get it! You have a perfectly good system and you want to ditch it. You say it's draining battery power...well, no it isn't. The alternator output is huge. It is MORE than able to cope with the servo, plus just about every other electrical farkle you could throw at the bike.

Afternoon Andy

Actually it can be a problem & BMW even addressed that problem with a service bulletin on the police bikes & a later re-design of the ABS controller that allows the rear servo to shut down with a stopped bike & less than full pressure on the brake pedal/lever.

If the (early) I-ABS bike is ridden on training courses, or a LOT of idle with prolonged stops, (or a lot of low speed (low RPM) brake usage it can run the battery down and/or light the dash failure light. (doesn't happen to many on normal road usage but it CAN happen)

As I mentioned BMW addressed this problem on the later I-ABS bikes by allowing rear servo shutdown at stop.

I feel the ABS & servo-assist are just overkill for brakes.

Boxer engine offer me plenty of engine brake power for most of traffic pattern that I encounter.

For spirited rides, I don't rely on brakes to get me to go faster. I have plenty of other bikes to do real spirited rides anyway.

If the near 16 y-o brake system requires update in brake lines, I'm going to explore the option of losing some weight by ditching the ABS/servo-assist pumps.

Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down. -Snuffy Smith

I feel the ABS & servo-assist are just overkill for brakes.

Boxer engine offer me plenty of engine brake power for most of traffic pattern that I encounter.

For spirited rides, I don't rely on brakes to get me to go faster. I have plenty of other bikes to do real spirited rides anyway.

If the near 16 y-o brake system requires update in brake lines, I'm going to explore the option of losing some weight by ditching the ABS/servo-assist pumps.

Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down. -Snuffy Smith

Morning cat0020

The servo system wasn't really meant to improve normal braking (even though it did slightly), it was an early attempt to get a faster more responsive ABS cyclic rate. The I-ABS (servo) system is light years ahead of the s-l-o-w ABS-II piston system as far as response, & ABS finite control. It's (the I-ABS) failure area was in a rather poor residual braking function, no accumulation for (failed servo) emergency braking, & high power consumption at standstill (early I-ABS systems).

The I-ABS strong trait was it's learnable adaptive braking that automatically balances front to rear braking on fully linked systems & a much smoother less intrusive rear wheel anti-lift function.