IGNORED

Can windshield be removed on 2000 R1100RT?

BarnRat

I'm looking at a 2000 R1100RT-ABS but if I buy it I will not be using it for touring. I just do short rides of 50 miles or less. I really dislike looking through a windshield; I don't mind looking over a short windshield. Can the windshield on this bike be removed? If so, will it really look hideously ugly without it?

Lone_RT_rider

The windshield can easily be removed with 4 screws seen at the front of the shield in the black strips. With the R1100RT, you have to remove those plastic strips first, then the screws are underneath that. It does look pretty weird, but it can be done. I attacked this problem by getting a sport shield from CeeBailey's before they stopped making motorcycle accessories. I'm sure other windshield makers might sell something similar.

My Sport shield on my R1100RT below. Sorry for the very old and fuzzy pic. :)

received_1763393290592248-L.jpg

The windshield can be removed.

Yes, it will look very silly with no shield installed.

Consider installing a stock shield which gives you a ton of airflow in the lowest position.

Lots of people have stock shields for sale.

The windshield can easily be removed with 4 screws seen at the front of the shield in the black strips. With the R1100RT, you have to remove those plastic strips first, then the screws are underneath that. It does look pretty weird, but it can be done. I attacked this problem by getting a sport shield from CeeBailey's before they stopped making motorcycle accessories. I'm sure other windshield makers might sell something similar.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

The OEM windshield has something like a clear protective layer, that can get yellowish in time.

A new windshield might not get you the same discomfort while looking trough it. And in time, you'll get used to it.

Dan.

The windshield can be removed.

Yes, it will look very silly with no shield installed.

Consider installing a stock shield which gives you a ton of airflow in the lowest position.

Lots of people have stock shields for sale.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

. I really dislike looking through a windshield; I don't mind looking over a short windshield.

With the screen in the 'low' position you will not be looking through it, you will look over it. Indeed, really, you should never be looking through the screen.

You always have the option to take a 'jig saw' with a suitable plastic blade and trim some off the top.

The OEM windshield has something like a clear protective layer, that can get yellowish in time.

A new windshield might not get you the same discomfort while looking trough it. And in time, you'll get used to it.

Dan.

I just don't like large windshields that I have to look thru. This is just me, mind you, but it ruins the m/c experience for me. And for the way I ride now, I don't need one.

. I really dislike looking through a windshield; I don't mind looking over a short windshield.

With the screen in the 'low' position you will not be looking through it, you will look over it. Indeed, really, you should never be looking through the screen.

You always have the option to take a 'jig saw' with a suitable plastic blade and trim some off the top.

Thanks. I didn't know it was adjustable.

Thanks. I didn't know it was adjustable.

Are you aware that the RT windshield is continuously adjustable using an electric motor to raise and lower the windshield? Green toggle switch on the left handlebar switch cluster.

In addition to after-market screens with varying heights and widths, BMW offered three screens. The low screen was the OEM standard screen. In the down position you would just about have to lay on the tank to look through the screen. If you aren't swapping out the screen you have for a shorter screen, you have the option as stated by Andy, cut down the screen you have.

RT parts fiche for Windshields

That's a pretty clean bike.

It's surroundings are a good sign as well.

It's hard to tell in he pictures, but appears to still have the rubber brake lines , good to ask the owner.

It's (to me) a premium price for an 1100, but with low miles, and condition, worth it.

The Opal Blue is a good color.

Since it's just been serviced, and appears to have good tires, I would just ask the age of the battery and check the date codes on the tires just so you know what's in the future.

But I like it .

If you are taller, you can get the comfort front seat from bmw that is very good.

Get new, a used seat of any brand is someone's cast off , sunbaked seat.

Also, raising the front seat bracket with a few flat washers and longer boots levels out your riding position.

My '99 RT is the last big bike I'll need and buy.

received_1763393290592248-L.jpg

I can vouch for this particular windshield but can add that it looks drop dead sexy on a black RT.

Lone_RT_rider
I can vouch for this particular windshield but can add that it looks drop dead sexy on a black RT.

Nothing looks bad on a Black RT. Gorgeous bikes!

Nothing looks bad on a Black RT. Gorgeous bikes!

Thank you, thank you very much.

6815.jpg.f3455f649198802d00dc95103605c65e.jpg

If you really want it out of the way, see if you can weasel a Cee Baily summer short shield from someone. Sadly Cee Baily quit the M/C market late last year. Alternatively find a stock bone yard one you can cut down and if scrapped up sand it smooth and spray paint it. Leave the windshield in the low position and your entire torso will be in the breeze.

Leave the windshield in the low position and your entire torso will be in the breeze.

That's what I'm hoping for. As long as I can see over it, I'm happy.

We've reached a virtual deal so I'm going to go look at and possibly purchase this bike on Sunday morning. It's about an hour's drive. If the bike looks as good in person as it does in photos I will probably bring it home (trailer). I will get it registered on Monday and most likely go for a ride on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. I will let you know what I think after that.

Thanks for the responses.