IGNORED

You Recommended a Battery!

Craft

NO, that is unless your stock accessory outlet has been converted to fused battery direct. But you can always remove the seat & clip the charger clamps directly to the battery posts.

Your 3300 should have come with a fused battery pig tail so why not just attach & use that?

Guess I was confused by the first part of your answer. Didn't help that I missed the second part...

Craft,

As long as the socket on your bike is hot when the ignition switch is OFF, and the polarity is correct thru all the connections, the socket charge should be just fine. You might make sure the female connection points inside the socket are as clean as possible and solder all the splices you can. Every connection the current goes thru will drop the voltage some depending on how good the connection is. If your socket is connected directly to the battery, that would be best. If it is connected thru the wiring harness with fuses and relays then the voltage drop may be enough to wipe out the small, less than 1V, increase you got with an AGM charger.

I prefer to have the direct connection with the two wire connector coming out from under the seat a few inches. It has the plastic cap to protect it when not in use and tucked away out of sight. While riding I use it to connect to the power supply in my tank bag for cell phone chargers and GPS connection plus any heated gloves and vest. BatteryMINDER also makes an accessory charging connection if you don't like a wire connection: Charging Connection Port

NO, that is unless your stock accessory outlet has been converted to fused battery direct. But you can always remove the seat & clip the charger clamps directly to the battery posts.

Your 3300 should have come with a fused battery pig tail so why not just attach & use that?

Guess I was confused by the first part of your answer. Didn't help that I missed the second part...

Morning Craft

The 3300 should have come with a pig tail with alligator clips & a 2nd (fused) pig tail with eye rings for direct attachment to the battery posts.

I usually cut the eye rings off then install a DIN connector that is a direct plug in to the heated clothing connectors that I have on my bikes, tractors, etc. I also make up a DIN to BMW accessory plug adapter pig tail that allows the battery charger to easily plug into the BMW accessory socket.

In your case you could skip the DIN plug & add the BMW plug directly to the (battery direct) 3300 pig tail.

I feel stupid but is that plug even right for the power outlets on my bike?

Morning Craft

Maybe or maybe not.

With the orange adapter snapped on it fits a standard automobile cigarette lighter socket so it definitely won't fit that way.

With the orange adapter removed it M-I-G-H-T fit as the BMW accessory plug socket is around 12mm & the small diameter

of that plug with the orange piece removed looks to be around 12mm.

We shall see! It will be here soon.

My new PC680 (which was 12.4 volts out of the box) is now 13.48 after sitting overnight on the new CTEK 7002 (Snowflake mode).

My new PC680 (which was 12.4 volts out of the box) is now 13.48 after sitting overnight on the new CTEK 7002 (Snowflake mode).

Morning Craft

After a quick loading to remove surface charge or sitting a couple more days it should settle out around 12.9X volts at fully charged.

On new battery's I usually fully charge them, then let sit a few days, or put a quick 10 amp load on them, then whatever the new (fresh) battery charged voltage

shows I write that on the battery top with a paint pencil for future reference.

So I'm back to (one of) original questions; am I reading it is ok to plug the CTEK-3300 (on snowflake level) directly into the oem outlet on the bike?

Is that correct? I'm not very savvy on electrical issues, thus all the questions.

So I'm back to (one of) original questions; am I reading it is ok to plug the CTEK-3300 (on snowflake level) directly into the oem outlet on the bike?

Is that correct? I'm not very savvy on electrical issues, thus all the questions.

Afternoon Mike

In a word NO, not on your 1200RT.

It is OK on the 1100 & 1150 but the 1200 has a chassis module controlled accessory outlet so the 1200RT either needs a special charger that will keep the accessory outlet alive during the charging or the charger needs to be hooked directly to the battery.

Morning Craft

After a quick loading to remove surface charge or sitting a couple more days it should settle out around 12.9X volts at fully charged.

On new battery's I usually fully charge them, then let sit a few days, or put a quick 10 amp load on them, then whatever the new (fresh) battery charged voltage

shows I write that on the battery top with a paint pencil for future reference.

13.24V...

• 3 weeks later...

Agggghhhh I got a used 99 R1100RT with a PC680 and based on this thread I don't think I have been taking care of it properly. I have been using a Solar PL2140 smart charger with AGM mode. I have also been using a Bat Tender plus. I really don't want to spend as much as a new battery just to keep this 680 going. Went out to run the bike the other day and the battery was dead. Bat tender plus got it working again, but I have no clue if it is sulfated or close to end of life. I guess I will keep using the Solar and when it dies I will get the cheap Chinese UB 12220 mentioned above. I really cannot see spending over $200 for a battery and special charger.

Gordiet - Which Nocco Genius model is the one Odyssey said was approved?

No battery lasts forever so the PC680 may have been well into later life when you got the bike. The Universal Battery UB 12220 or the Panasonic LC-X1220P, which ever is cheaper to your door. My Boston Green RT is very happy running the UB-12220 and it looks like you have the right color RT for good results as well :grin: I have purchased from Staab Battery at market prices, but you may do better elsewhere.

Dave_zoom_zoom
AGM charger recommendations?

Afternoon Craft

Are you looking for an AGM charger or an Odyssey PC680 AGM charger?

The Odyssey PC680 has slightly different requirements than a standard AGM battery does.

If you are asking for an Odyssey PC680 battery then if you go to the Odyssey web site they should have a recommended charger listing.

Or for the requirements on the Odyssey PC 680 most standard AGM chargers will work if they have a snowflake (cold weather) setting.

Personally I have a couple of Ctek chargers, a newer CTEK MUS 4.3 & an older version of the CTEK Multi US 7002.

They are both great for the PC 680 as far as charging goes as they both have elevated voltage (snowflake) charging settings.

The CTEK Multi US 7002 has a higher amp output so would be a better choice for PC 680 (dead battery) reconditioning (restore a PC 680 that is lacking output)

but I have used both the above chargers to restore a PC 680 & even though the CTEK MUS 4.3 wouldn't be my first choice but it will do the job.

Hello DR

I always read all of your posts with great interest and appreciation.

I own 3 vehicles. A 2006 R2006RT,a 2011 Honda Accord and a 1994 one ton Dodge Diesel. I do most of the "first line" maintenance on my vehicles and prefer to use top quality parts.

Years ago I've found using battery maintainers to be extremely satisfying. Not only do they help keep my batteries working dependably but increase battery life by a factor of X2 or more. All considered, I don't mind paying close to as much for the battery maintainer as I pay for a new battery. It's just good economics.

In the R1200RS I have Odyssey PC680. In the Accord, an Optima. In the Dodge Diesel, 2- Odysseys.

For maintainers I use the the following---- a ACI Mod. #1206cc., a CTEK MUS 4.3 test and charge. And as of yesterday, a CTEK MULTI US 7002. (the ACI MOD #1206 is good for light duty service and not to expensive) All are very helpful within their own capacities.

Thank You for all the help you have done and continue to do for all of us DR.

You are sincerely appreciated!

Dave

PS I've not yet used the "15.7v RECOND" mode on my CTEK units. Providing I leave the key off and use no power, can you see a problem with the vehicles electronics while using that 15.7v? Thank You!

javascript:quickReply(1006622,1,0)

PS I've not yet used the "15.7v RECOND" mode on my CTEK units. Providing I leave the key off and use no power, can you see a problem with the vehicles electronics while using that 15.7v? Thank You!

Afternoon Dave

Personally I don't see a big problem but BMW engineering does as they caution about using anything that exceeds 15 volts if the battery remains hooked to the bikes electrical system.

There are a lot of electronics in the modern BMW motorcycle that remain partially alive even with the key in the off position so the electronics could see that 15.7 volts even with the key off. Hopefully there is built in over-voltage protection but BMW still cautions about over 15 volt charging. Due to the great expense of the BMW electronics heeding that warning might not be a bad idea.

I know the Optimate-4 charger when set to CAN bus compatible mode (hooked up through the accessory port) uses a CAN bus safe reduced voltage for the low voltage recovery stage. They do say if your battery is fully drained, or badly sulfated, to take the battery out of the bike and run it in standard mode as the recovery stage is much more effective. Makes sense as going above14.7 volts you get a lot more out gassing which means you are beginning to boil the electrolyte, which for a standard battery could have a little acid spittle get vented off. Best have that away from the bike with adequate ventilation.

Thanks DR

Good advise to disconnect prior to using the RECOND feature.

Thank You

Dave

Morning Dave

Before re-conditioning a PC 680 battery make darn sure that your charger's re-conditioning mode meets the PC 680 charging specs as far as

voltage & amperage goes as the PC 680 has it's own requirements. There is no way to refill a PC 680 so you don't ever want to push it into outgassing.

Per Odyssey battery-- " Monitor the batteries terminal voltage with the charger operating to assure 15.0V is not exceeded at

any time"

Info on PC 680 reconditioning here___ http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_Battery_Reconditioning_Charge_Procedure.pdf

Edited by dirtrider
Dave_zoom_zoom
Thanks DR

Thank You

Dave

Morning Dave

Before re-conditioning a PC 680 battery make darn sure that your chargers re-conditioning mode meets the PC 680 charging specs as far as both

voltage & amperage goes as the PC 680 has it's own requirements.

Thanks DR

I don't have a need to re-condition a battery at this time. When that time comes, can you tell me if the CTEK MULTI US 7002 would meet the PC 680 requirements ?

Thanks DR

Thank You

Dave

Morning Dave

Before re-conditioning a PC 680 battery make darn sure that your chargers re-conditioning mode meets the PC 680 charging specs as far as both

Thanks DR

I don't have a need to re-condition a battery at this time. When that time comes, can you tell me if the CTEK MULTI US 7002 would meet the PC 680 requirements ?

Morning Dave

It should on the snowflake setting as that is close to 14.7 volts.

Dave_zoom_zoom
Thanks DR

Thank You

Dave

Morning Dave

Thanks DR

Morning Dave

It should on the snowflake setting as that is close to 14.7 volts.

Good Morning to you DR.

According to my new CTEK 7002 user manual, the RECOND mode will apply 15.7v @1.5a for 1/2 to 4 Hr. Thus exceeding the 15v max. limit of voltage applied to the PC 680 battery.

Are you saying it's best to only use only the "snowflake" charge mode which applies 14.7v to the battery during the course of "snowflake" charging regime? Therefor, don't use the RECOND mode of the CETEK 7002?

Thank You

Dave

Good Morning to you DR.

According to my new CTEK 7002 user manual, the RECOND mode will apply 15.7v @1.5a for 1/2 to 4 Hr. Thus exceeding the 15v max. limit of voltage applied to the PC 680 battery.

Are you saying it's best to only use only the "snowflake" charge mode which applies 14.7v to the battery during the course of "snowflake" charging regime? Therefor, don't use the RECOND mode of the CETEK 7002?

Thank You

Dave

Afternoon Dave

That is the way I read the Odyssey battery reconditioning info, so (personally) I never allow more than 15 volts into an odyssey PC 680 battery (ever).

I might suggest that you call the phone number at the bottom of that .PDF I provided above & get the answer directly from Odyssey.

Odyssey batteries have gone down hill the past few years. I sell a lot of batteries and after too many failures I dropped odyssey. They originally had a 5 yr warrenty now only 3 and you Have to fight them on 3. They are pretty though

All the talk about special chargers for the odyssey's, why don't you have to change the stock alt.

Morning mwood7800

Stock alternator puts out plenty of volts/amps for about any battery so no ALTERNATOR change needed. Now the regulator is a different story as some of the 1100/1150 bikes are a bit low on voltage output for the odyssey battery & even low for some nominal AGM batteries.

Some riders just live with the lower voltage output, some use an approved maintainer charger to top the battery up from time to time, others install a new (higher voltage output) voltage regulator, & still others just add a diode to the existing regulator to boost voltage output.

Odyssey batteries have gone down hill the past few years. I sell a lot of batteries and after too many failures I dropped odyssey. They originally had a 5 yr warrenty now only 3 and you Have to fight them on 3. They are pretty though

MWood7800,

Could it be that the reason you've had so many failures is because of a lack of knowledge about AGM batteries and their requirements, both by the end user and distributor?? I was guilty of that, myself, as an end user.

AGM's are different than the old flooded lead acid batteries we grew up with. Most people just swapped out the old and plugged in the new AGM. Then put the quintessential BatteryTINDER on it thinking they were doing good. Who reads the fine print or instructions anymore full of lawyerese whereas and wherefores. I did not.

But, I did read up online about AGM's. New technology, man!! AGM battery info and http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BOSCH-Voltage-Regulator-BMW-R-K-12-31-1-739-365-p/boalt-reg365.htm

The PC680 in my R11S was dead one morning after being on the BatteryTINDER for several days. It had come with the bike, history unknown, and the BatteryTINDER specifically recommended by the PO 6 months before. So, I just figured it was "time", ordered another PC680, and read up on AGM's out of curiosity. I ordered a Battery MINDer charger post haste and relegated the 'Tinder to the lawnmower.

Several days later, after charging the new PC680, I decided to try out this "desulfation" thing on the "OLD" PC680 and plugged it in. A few days later the old, "dead" PC680 was showing a full charge!! It's still alive and well, powering a friend's R60 now moved to Michigan, wherever that is.

I can well understand the plight of manufacturers making a good product that is misapplied or misused by the end user in spite of "INSTRUCTIONS". "People" are slow to change. I am. Should Odyssey have to bear the brunt?? Maybe so. But my 3 PC680's are doing well on the correct VOLTAGE REGULATORS and maintenance/desulfation chargers.