IGNORED

Newbie from Norcal

NorCal Rider

Hello everyone! I am on day 4 of BMW ownership! Picked up a R1200 RT the other day and loving it! Been riding Hondas for the last few years - big, loud, cruiser bikes. I've had a blast on my '04 VTX 1300 - put over 30k miles on it over the last couple years. During the last few months I have considered changing it up and going quieter and quicker, which led me to my purchase last Friday! So stoked!! The new bike has 45k miles on it, looks and runs great! I look forward to learning a lot from you all out here on the forum! Thanks!!

Congratulations on a quantum step up on 2 wheels. Now you can cruise if you want to and not because you have to! I hope your new to you BMW brings you many good riding experiences. Cheers! :wave:

Hi NCR and welcome.

There have been a number of cruiser converts to BMW and some have both to fit their mood. If it has two wheels I say it is all good. Needlessly loud bikes don't get a lot of love here, but most don't get their undies in a bunch about it. Now that you have a bike with the ground clearance you can have a blast riding frisky on the twisty roads.

Welcome NorCal! :clap: Tell us a bit more about your bike :bike:, pictures even if you can figure out how to do that. Pictures are kind of a rite of passage here, don't take it personally if it doesn't work the first time. :whistle:

Hi guys, thanks for the responses. This bike is SO clean - previous owner kept it up well. I love the adjustable windscreen, heated grips Sargent seat (have the stock heated seat as well), cruise control, CD/radio player - all of it is so nice! I love its quickness and agility -- I'm taking turns at ease now at 70mph that I would be nervous on my VTX 1300 taking at 50. The RT is about 150 pounds lighter than my Honda. I did all the work on the Honda myself here in my garage and am looking forward to working on the RT as well. I think though that I'm going to take the bike in for its first service in my possession, just to get solid confirmation that all is well. Ozzie's in Chico, Ca. has a reputation for excellent service and advice.

One thing.... The fuel gauge is not working. Common problem? Easy fix? Must I replace the entire fuel pump?

Trying to post a pic!

Thanks guys!!

NCR

6819.png.c991379b3cbd71bcb238b16b1ae33114.png

welcome - nice choice. sounds like you're up in the real nor-cal but if you make it to north bay area look me up. there's a few of us around.

Congratulations on your new bike. You have a bad fuel strip. Dealer will fix free of charge. Call ahead so they will have parts in stock. Enjoy!!

Welcome NCR! I made a similar move in 2000 from a Yamaha Royal Star to my first BMW, a 1997 R1100RT and never looked back. Later owned a '06 RT and they just get better. Like you I love all the features my cruiser did not have like heated grips and adjustable windshield. As already mentioned the fuel gauge issue is most likely the fuel strip which BMW used in the early 1200 vintage RT's instead of a traditional float. Not sure how it all works but do know they are known to fail but also as noted BMW extended the warranty on that part so DO check with your dealer.

Getting the first service and check by the dealer is a good idea too. The boxers are pretty easy to maintain, especially the simple stuff like the fluids and such. Also, the body work on the 1200 vintage was easy to remove and replace and honestly I like the way the '05 to '13 1200RT panels go on and off better than the current water cooled RT's. I think you will find this site a huge asset for any questions you may have.

Welcome and good luck!