IGNORED

Exhaust

Rinkydink

I am weighing a full exhaust on the new bike. I have searched and found very few opinions for the new wethead. I appreciate any thoughts/experiences on systems or slip-ons.

Well, I got the BMW accessory Akrapovic last summer, and I'm very happy with it. It's not loud; it's subtle. Gives improved tone and articulation with no added noise at cruise (I wear plugs under a full face). Looks light years better than the Harleyesque chrome that it replaces.

Well, I got the BMW accessory Akrapovic last summer, and I'm very happy with it. It's not loud; it's subtle. Gives improved tone and articulation with no added noise at cruise (I wear plugs under a full face). Looks light years better than the Harleyesque chrome that it replaces.

Well I have both. I personally like the 'Harleyesque' chrome of the OEM. My Akropovic looks tacky with it weird colour and cheapo carbon fiber end cap.

The Akro does however sound very nice when you give it a handful of throttle.

If you remove the (removable) insert, the sound becomes loud and offensive (by my own standards, so may be fine for you) as it is out of place on a sports tourer. The noise with the baffle removed REALLY gets annoying on longer runs.

Thanks AndyS. I don't do loud and offensive as I respect my neighbors when I leave at 5 am. I just like a bit of tone...

If you start the engine and don't blip the throttle, the Akro isn't too loud.

I do run with the Akro on as it does sound nicer than the shiny Can'.

Like I say, just leave the insert fitted and it won't be offensive with your neighbours.

Terry is right. It doesn't matter which system you choose, The Shiny one or the Akro; this bike is louder than any previous RT when pressing on.

Edited by AndyS

My 09 was so quiet I thought I was riding a sewing machine. I bought a Akro pipe for it and really liked it. The sound reminded me of an old MGB, or Triumph TR3 car, not a Harley sound. My 2016 sound is just fine, no need for another pipe.

The stock exhaust on the new RT wetheads is good enough for my tastes. Much better than the 2011 RT..

My stock S1000XR is much louder and while I like it, it's too loud for a sport touring bike on those long days on the road.

Yes, but I'm old and after 40 years of playing live rock music (always with earplugs) I am a tad lacking in the otic area. I don't want drag pipe noise but tone is king.

Hi Tweks,

So far I am satisfied with the shorter sport windshield. It provides good protection in my normal riding. I have not encountered rain or adverse weather with the sport shield and probably will want a larger unit for rides the likely will encounter adverse weather. For the Des Moines ride this July I will look for a full size alternative and keep the sport shield for other rides. Easy enough to switch out.

Hi Tweks,

So far I am satisfied with the shorter sport windshield. It provides good protection in my normal riding. I have not encountered rain or adverse weather with the sport shield and probably will want a larger unit for rides the likely will encounter adverse weather. For the Des Moines ride this July I will look for a full size alternative and keep the sport shield for other rides. Easy enough to switch out.

I picked up a used sport screen from someone who didn't like it, so now I have both. With the sport screen things are definitely less quiet, but I get a lot more air, so it should work well for the Southern California summer. I would definitely put on the standard screen for a long highway trip.