IGNORED

Michelin Road 5

strataj

Where did you look?

I just went to Michelin Canada's website. It states Road 5 for 'heavy' motorcycles will be available in 2019.

It further states until then, use the Pilot Road 4 GT.

Tim

Yup. U.S. site doesn't have that info.

Go to Michelin Canada's site motorcycle.michelinman.com, scroll down to Road 5 sizes, and look for heading Road 5 versus GT. You'll find Michelin's statement there.

Tim

I honestly do not understand the brewing controversy over the GT/non-GT Pilot Roads. For many years, RT riders have been using plain old Pilot Roads. Then the GTs came out, supposedly with stiffer sidewalls for heavier bikes, and some used the GT variants. Are we to believe that suddenly, non-GT Pilot Roads are unsuitable for RTs? I'm skeptical.

My own experience on my Wethead is with PR3s, PR4s, and PR4GTs. I am in a unique position to compare my mileage since 95% of my riding is commuting the same roads, every day. Single rider, no heavy luggage, mostly highway speeds. PR4 was stock, and worn by 13k miles. I then got a (slightly) used set of PR3s from a GS owner on Facebook. Those lasted almost 17k miles with me - and I'm assuming they had at least 500 miles on them when I got them! Then I replaced those with the PR4GT, expecting even more mileage since these are designed for "heavy" bikes. They're going to be replaced next week, toast at about 13k.

Interestingly, the PR3 and PR4 rear tire wore before the front. On the PR4GT, it's the front that is bald. I can probably get another 1K out of the rear before hitting the wear bars. But the bottom line is, I personally haven't seen any evidence that the "GT" variant is any longer lasting than the regular PR. And, worse, the GT produces a very stiff ride compared to the standard PR, which I found unsettling.

So my next tires will either be PR5 or I'll try the Dunlop Roadsmarts.

-MKL

Although the PR3s offered an equivalent "B" rating before the GT designation came out, I agree with Moshe. Unless you regularly ride two-up with luggage, the GT version is not necessary on the relatively lightweight RT. It's just CYA protection for Michelin, which has lumped the RT in with much heavier touring bikes and is considering worst-case loading scenarios. The stiffer side wall does not extend tread life or weight capacity, I believe it just reduces sidewall flexing (heat) under heavy loads at recommended pressure.

Edited by lkraus

GT, A Spec, HWM are names given to tires made for heavier bikes. Yet they have the exact same weight ratings as the "other" tires in the sizes for our new RT's. 58 front and 73 rear. So, what are you getting with the GT? A stiffer ride, which I don't want. Better control? Have not seen that when switching between them. Metzeler Z8 is factory equipment on these, as far as I know they don't have a different rating so why do the Michelin's require that?

I am running Dunlop Road Smart III's right now. They don't have a heavier version. Had two sets of Bridgeston T-30 EVO's in the A spec heavier sidewall before. The Dunlops ride slightly smoother and feel better leaned over. I would try a set of the new Road 5's right now. I like their looks and I think they may do better than the PR4 in handling.

Moshe and realshelby,

Your comments are absolutely valid.

I don't think the non-GT is 'unsuitable' for our RTs, especially for those of us who ride solo 100-percent of the time. In fact, I'd postulate we COULD run pure sport tires on our bikes.

I would hazard to guess a few RT owners have done that at some point. I think the GT version is considered to be MORE SUITABLE given that many RT owners DO ride 2-up and heavily laden.

For those of us who ride solo, I think the non-GT tire is perfectly serviceable. However, if and when I return to Michelins (and I loved the PR4GTs but am currently trying Dunlop Roadsmart 3s), I would choose the GTs over the non-GTs just because I liked the old version.

My thinking - if you ride solo, the non-GTs will perform just fine.

Tim

I had a closer look at my PR4GTs today. I think I can eek out another month using them, so I'm going to do that. They might hit 14k by that point. I'm really curious about those Dunlops. To me, longevity is everything. The only leaning over I do these days is on the highway exit ramp on the way to work!

-MKL

I asked Michelin about GT vs Non GT. I got a "non answer"....

Q: Why is a Pilot Road 4 Standard Tire not recommended for my motorcycle, even though the Pilot Road 4 GT version has the same size, load, and speed rating? What benefits do I get from the GT?

A: We understand your concern for this issue, Alan. The GT has been optimized to provide the best possible performance on GT motorcycles. Generally with GT motorcycles, they require GT branded tires in order to perform to their best, which may be one reason why the standard Road 4 is not recommended.

• 4 weeks later...
Rider1200RT

So now the Michelin GT4's on my bike have 10K on them. It looks like another 2K may be possible although if the rear goes out sooner, I'll replace both front and rear as the front is cupping pretty badly. Does anyone have the %'s on their RT?

I honestly do not understand the brewing controversy over the GT/non-GT Pilot Roads. For many years, RT riders have been using plain old Pilot Roads. Then the GTs came out, supposedly with stiffer sidewalls for heavier bikes, and some used the GT variants. Are we to believe that suddenly, non-GT Pilot Roads are unsuitable for RTs? I'm skeptical.

My own experience on my Wethead is with PR3s, PR4s, and PR4GTs. I am in a unique position to compare my mileage since 95% of my riding is commuting the same roads, every day. Single rider, no heavy luggage, mostly highway speeds. PR4 was stock, and worn by 13k miles. I then got a (slightly) used set of PR3s from a GS owner on Facebook. Those lasted almost 17k miles with me - and I'm assuming they had at least 500 miles on them when I got them! Then I replaced those with the PR4GT, expecting even more mileage since these are designed for "heavy" bikes. They're going to be replaced next week, toast at about 13k.

Interestingly, the PR3 and PR4 rear tire wore before the front. On the PR4GT, it's the front that is bald. I can probably get another 1K out of the rear before hitting the wear bars. But the bottom line is, I personally haven't seen any evidence that the "GT" variant is any longer lasting than the regular PR. And, worse, the GT produces a very stiff ride compared to the standard PR, which I found unsettling.

So my next tires will either be PR5 or I'll try the Dunlop Roadsmarts.

-MKL

My experience is same. I thought the PR3 were more long lasting and may have had better grip if not equal to the PR4

Question: Are the PR3 still accessible on the market or are they not?

A Michelin rep at the BMWMOA rally last July told me the PR3 was no longer being made. Google and Amazon show PR3s available from several stores, but some sizes are shown as unavailable, so I think these may be older stock. Revzilla currently lists them at 35% off.

Edited by lkraus
My experience is same. I thought the PR3 were more long lasting and may have had better grip if not equal to the PR4

My thoughts too. I got more miles without a drop off in handling with the PR3's than any other tire I've used in 50 years of riding. In 47k miles on my R1200ST the PR4 front is the only one that cupped! I could say more about the PR4's, but I'll just say I don't like them.

I just got back form a 1200 mile weekend on a new set of PR4's, and hated them.

This ride was with my industry/magazine/racing friends, they ride FAST and of course I ride the same speeds.

The PR4's are sketchy as hell when on the very edge of the tire charging into sweepers, they chatter, slipping and gripping at random. They may be wonderful in the wet, but they SUCK when ridden hard in the dry.

I guess I'll try some Dunlop Roadsmarts, the Dunlop marketing guy is a friend of mine and was on this ride, he had some on a KTM Adventure and was dragging the saddlebags without a wiggle.I rode it and the tires felt like slightly harder Q3's.

The existing PR4's will be free to a good home, they're like new.

I mounted a set of Pirelli Angel GT "A" front and rear on my 2018 R1200RT-LC last week.

Rode 490 miles last Saturday and so far like them better then the Metzler Z-8's that came with the bike.

They replaced the factory mounted Metzler Z-8, which only lasted 5972 miles, before cords appeared.

Almost all of those miles where solo and minimal payload, riding around FL/SE-GA.

Leaving in a few weeks for START 2018, will give a update after that event.

PS: A few years ago at the MOA Rally in Missouri, the engineers from Michelin insisted that the only difference between the PR-3 and the PR-4 are extra grooves to improve noise.

They claimed it was the same construction and rubber compounds. Maybe they didn't know?

Lone_RT_rider
PS: A few years ago at the MOA Rally in Missouri, the engineers from Michelin insisted that the only difference between the PR-3 and the PR-4 are extra grooves to improve noise.

They claimed it was the same construction and rubber compounds. Maybe they didn't know?

ENGINEERS KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!

we just don't always tell....... ;)

The PR4s are/were great in the rain - the best, but I hated everything else about them. Squirmy when healed over. I just never really trusted them and instead was happy to use set after set of Angel GTs on my K16.

A few years later and I am riding an RS and the PR5 marketing and merchandising hype pulled me it. That and the local shop selling me a set for $299 was enough to give Michelin another try.

Amazing in the rain - just as good as the PR4s. They seem to be impervious to gooey tar snakes. And the best part is they handle like Angel GTs on dry roads - no squirm - all stick.

1400 miles on this set so far - really like'em

167259441.jpg

If I can find the Road 5 for around $300 I will try them. Limecreek describes my exact feelings about the PR4 and if he likes the Road 5 that tells me something good. If I could get 1500-2000 more miles out of them than what I currently average, that would be really good.

Terry look at AMT www.americanmototire.com/ . My question/problem about the Road 5 NO wear bar in the center of the tire. I had this problem with Z6 and Z8's from Metzeler don't like seeing cord so I didn't buy another set of those...

Jay

Jay, over the years I have bought most of my tires from AmericanMotoTire. Recently they have redone their website and while they did fix some things they still have a ways to go! I gave them some input, was actually replied to by someone, and was told there were changes made that everyone else seemed to be happy with. In other words, STFU!

I see they have better prices on the new Road 5 than most others. So I might go with them. I also see that the Bridgestone T-31 is only about $25 or so less! I have been buying Bridgestone T-30 and T-30 EVO for several years. $225 per set delivered from AMT. I don't know if it is AMT or Bridgestone, but with the price increase my loyalty isn't there any longer!

I got a blowout in my PR4 rear tire at about 7K. I have the 5 on there for about 500 miles now. I was going to wait on a front because it has plenty of tread left but I like the way the 5 feels so much I ordered a front today . No one in the U.S. had a 110/80/19 so I ordered it from the U.K.

My question/problem about the Road 5 NO wear bar in the center of the tire. I had this problem with Z6 and Z8's from Metzeler don't like seeing cord so I didn't buy another set of those...Jay

Hmmm, Jay, I see what you mean. Anyone here used up a set of these new tyres yet?

It is a little disconcerting.

If these are build like PR4's you will run out of thread long before cords appear. I have seen cords on multiple brands, but never Michelin PR3 or 4. And I used to run them till a 2”+ strip of smooth rubber with no markings was in the center of the tire. No cords. So I used a knife on one tire and cut through to see how much more rubber there is. At least another 1/16-1/8” of rubber. Good for at least another 1000 miles.

Hi Bernie, I understand that, but you knew when you had worn the middle down. With the PR5's you don't know you have reached that stage.

Don't worry Andy, you will know, because the sipes next to the center will be gone, even riding in flat Florida, you don't just wear the very center.

If your contact patch is that narrow, it means you have way too much air in your tire.

But on an RT with 40-42 PSIG cold, the weight of the bike will compress the tire enough to a wear the sipes next to the center.

Andrew Harmsworth

I can only dream of some of the mileages quoted. My 2nd set of PR4's have about 5k on them and maybe 1k left. first set went in the same way 6k miles. Both F&R go about the same time. Most of my mileage is my commute 50% motorway 50% back roads - all fast. Front goes about an inch off centre and I end up with two flat spots left and right of the centre line (if that make sense) Shamefully the tyre on the back has nothing left on the centre and unused tread on the outside, winter riding for you. Rear always goes in the centre first so next time I will try the PR5's I see it as an advantage not to have treed in the centre as it won't look out of place for the final stretch.

Lone_RT_rider
I can only dream of some of the mileages quoted. My 2nd set of PR4's have about 5k on them and maybe 1k left.

That's about what I am getting too. The rest of your experiences are about the same as mine. Of course, with the move to Wisconsin, I may wear out the center a bit more quickly. :)

Joe Frickin' Friday
I can only dream of some of the mileages quoted. My 2nd set of PR4's have about 5k on them and maybe 1k left.

That's about what I am getting too. The rest of your experiences are about the same as mine. Of course, with the move to Wisconsin, I may wear out the center a bit more quickly. :)

Go west, old man. The Driftless Zone is within reach. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

Where are you guys finding PR5 tires for the 1200RT

I can't find them anywhere. I thought they would not be released till...well I don't know till when, but I thought they were not available yet

The PR 5 are everywhere are you thinking about the release of the PR 5 heavy wight version? If so that isn't out yet. My feeling is you don't need a heavy wight version tire even BMW delivers bike without this version, my 14 RT came with Metezler Z8 and friend 18 RT came with them.

Jay

The PR 5 are everywhere are you thinking about the release of the PR 5 heavy wight version? If so that isn't out yet. My feeling is you don't need a heavy wight version tire even BMW delivers bike without this version, my 14 RT came with Metezler Z8 and friend 18 RT came with them.

Jay

Ok, tell me: where are they? for the wethead.

why ? I just found 2 links in 5 minutes with the correct size.

Michelin is recommending that the standard version of the PR 5 not be mounted on RTs. The sizes and load specs are correct for the RT, but there was something about handling near that limit that is supposedly better with the heavyweight version of the tires. For now they are specifying the PR4 GT for RTs.

Its hard to find a straight answer on the "why?", but I've seen at least one post that talked about the handling at the limit. All other info I've seen as to the "why?" (including my own question submitted to michelin) has been vague marketing speak.

Off topic ---but will can resist a jump in on this tangent as well

Go west, old man. The Driftless Zone is within reach. :wave:

Maybe yes from the 100 miles of slabbing it to get from Germatown to some awful nice roads in the western part of the state.

+1 on Driftless Region. Actually, anything around the Baraboo Range of hills (SW Wisconsin) is pretty darn nice. Better still is to get off of the state highways for a run through the local paved roads around Wildcat Mountain State Park (West of Hilsboro) are awesome. Drive to a town called Caznovia and head SW toward Richland Center and you will find some nice roads through there. Hwy 55 on reservation land in the North can be nice as the road follows the terrain more than typical.

Check this site out

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Wisconsin_125.html

So back on topic. PR5s sound like the perfect tire for the RT ridden in the Drifless Region!!!!

All the possible different opinions have been discussed and posted. Do what you feel comfortable doing. I'm sure some will use them . Maybe Michelin wants to get rid of the PR4's before everyone finds that the 5's are better.

After using 2 sets of PR4GT on my '16, then a set of Angle GT, now a set of Cont RA 3 I can't figure out for the life of me why the brand loyalty for Michelin. I found nothing particularly exciting about how they handle but absolutely they are the most cupping-prone tire available and they're not cheap!

alegerlotz
After using 2 sets of PR4GT on my '16, then a set of Angle GT, now a set of Cont RA 3 I can't figure out for the life of me why the brand loyalty for Michelin. I found nothing particularly exciting about how they handle but absolutely they are the most cupping-prone tire available and they're not cheap!

I agree completely!