IGNORED

Wethead Questions

BamaRider

I'm rapidly closing in on a deal for a new 2017 RT (left over inventory). I'll be trading my 2005 RT. Not sure its a done deal as the dealer is 150 miles away and not seen the bike yet. I'd say its 80% chance this time next week, I own a wethead.

Save me sometime please and tell me what I need to know about this bike. The dealer advised this bike had everything except navigation, he said that was a dealer thing. He told me it was a garmin unit if I wanted it but I forget what models. Will my garmin 390 Zumo work? If not will the garmin models needed talk to basecamp and allow me to custom design routes?

Research has been a mixed bag via google. I read the bike roasts rear tires in 5k miles? How can that be? My 2005 delivered over 10k on the Pilot Roads.

My 2005 RT is in excellent condition with 85k miles. What ya reckon its worth? The bike looks brand new. Never been on the ground and garage kept.

Are there various trim packages? I'm confused because the dealer told me a guy can order this or that if he wants. Kinda like the old days when you bought a car cafeteria style. ( I want this, want that, don't need that etc) My understanding a guy picked a trim package and that was it.

Thanks for any feedback.

New wets are amazing. Tires for me about 14k per set. If loaded should have hill start, speed shift, heated everything, seats grips, blue tooth radio with sat radio.. The wet has a cradle for the GPS. I'm not sure but think the only thing it will hold is Garmin BMW NAV V or VI. Talk the dealer into discount on new gps. Got mine for half. It's integrated into all things sound related and can be controlled from the wheel. My only complaint is comes with BMW 2x4 wrapped in leather they try to pass for a seat. You will likely end up changing it. Many customs to chose from. The throttle has three modes. I would set it for road until you are really familiar. It is significantly faster than prior RT,s. Good luck. Suspect you will love it. One last suggestion. If it comes with continental tires make them change them for your favorite tire. If in first or second and you hammer it it will raise the wheel so be careful if traction control turned off

Your in for a great experience.

First the 17 has transmission updates. New transmission shaft, bearings, shifter forks, and anti shudder. HUGE improvement in shifting. I just went from a 15 RT to a 17.5 GS and it is night and day shifting. You will read not much difference from others but I am here to say it is night and day. And as far as first gear it is all but a snick now, no clunk.

As far as tires all in where, what and how you ride, Surface of roads do in tires, Mountain roads versus highway, chip and seal versus regular black top. Aggressive into and out of turns will contribute to tire wear. Right wrist no matter what helps decide that also.

A Garmin 660 will fit into the cradle on a RT but you loose some functions of the "Wonder Wheel" in interfacing with the GPS. I had a Nav 5 and got a Nav 6 with my GS as a incentive. The Nav 6 is much better as far as readability. The screen is just fantastic IMHO.

The worth of your bike you probably are not going to like but you can look at NADA and get a pretty fair estimate of what you are going to be offered. If you can do the deal and sell it outright you may do better.

Also look for incentives on leftover 17 model years. I am not sure what is running right now. On the GS I got 1.9% financing and a free Nav 6. I was hooked. Now that was BMW incentives, your dealer may offer more or a better price. I also know the Nav 6 was a GS thing only at that point.

Wish you luck hope you get the bike as you will enjoy it for sure.

I'd do two things:

1) ask that dealer to email you a complete list of the packages and options that are included on that bike (I'd ask him to include the option codes with each line item, so there are no misunderstandings. You might also want to ask him to list all packages/options that are not on that bike). You could also go to BMW Motorrad USA's website and build a bike, just so you can get a feel for what sort of packages/options are available, though it'll only have the 2018 models available; and

2) go to BMW Motorrad USA's website and click on "promotions" (top left of home page) to see any, and all, BMW incentives. For example, you can get 1.9% financing on any 2017 model until February 28th. There are others, but they may, or may not, apply to you (if you buy a 2017 GS or GSA, you get a "free" Navigator VI GPS. This does not apply to the RT, however).

As for a GPS (that fits in the holder on the RT, and can be controlled with the "wonder wheel" on the left grip), the latest model is the BMW Navigator VI. Yes, it's built by Garmin, to BMW's specs. It lists for $949. I'd try to negotiate a deal that includes that GPS (it's considered an "accessory", meaning it's neither a "package", nor an "option". And yes, the Nav VI certainly can "talk" to Basecamp, so you can continue to use Basecamp to create routes etc., and load that data onto the GPS.

Edited by marcopolo

As stated previously, your tire life will vary depending on conditions. I think 5k is on the low side for most riders. I get 8-10k miles on my rears.

I came off a '99 to a wethead and it is functionally better in every measure, except the saddle and horn is as terrible as it was on my '99. Prolly you'll have a similar experience coming from an '05. The wethead is an awesome bike.

Tire life is highly variable and mostly defendant on your personal riding variables. It should be similar to what we're getting on your '05, but with the extra power if you like working the fun dial a lot it may give you less mileage on the rear tire. But you'll get more out of the front cuz the front tire will want to be airborne(until the computer takes over) :D

As far as the Nav goes it is a pricy add on and while it integrates into the bikes info system nicely you can get simple navigation for a lot less...Google maps on your smart phone does the job and the App is free. I may be a bit biased though as I bought the BMW Nav unit and have used it twice in the two years. I'm a little bit on the side of getting lost makes the journey all that more interesting.

If all the accessories were a la carte, I would be just as happy if mine didn't have shift assist pro, but it was bundled with something else I did want. Do get the accessory package codes to see what you actually have, but BMW sends the majority of the wetheads through loaded leaving only the Top box, NAV, driving lights, and some body trim add-ons to the dealer.

Hello Bama...

First of all, I too had an '05 RT so I can make some observations if you like. Certainly ask here or PM me.

I loved my '05. It served me very well. I never got that sort of mileage out of any set of tires on the '05... no matter what brand. It could be related to riding style or more likely related to where one rides. I'm out here in the west with lots of mountains and juicy curves. I do not think the mileage is all that correlated to the bike... the rider maybe, but the bike is the bike. (I have 8k on the original tires and there is at least 2k left. The '05 was generally toast at 5/6k before.)

I am on a '14 Wethead with the complete package. I got everything at once and I highly recommend working with your dealer to get the GPS in the package. One can certainly do without it but I personally could not. Fitting another Garmin device can be an option as mentioned above but trust me- controlling things via the Wonder Wheel is something you want. (note: if all you want is a basic stripped motorcycle you are investing too much into the deal anyway. If you want the full Wethead experience do yourself a favor and figure out how to get it all in the beginning .)

Garmin came out with the Nav 6 after the Nav 5 (duh) so I suppose there is a slim chance someone upgraded to the 6 and thay may have a 5 available. I love my 5 and cannot imagine riding without it. (for instance- the Navigator 5/6 will pair with your smartphone so that you can send/receive calls seamlessly- but you still need to get that audio to your head one way or another. Do not assume you can hear it via the speakers because there no way that is acceptable.. so you are going to need a headset which is best via some bluetooth link to the GPS. So, finding a GPS that just fits into the cradle may not give you the features you want- or will want in the future.)

I love the way the '05 rode and functioned. I did all the maintenance I ever needed for nearly 8 years on it. The '14 is really fun, functions well but compared to the '05... the '05 was easier to work on. Roomier, as it was, to get hands and tools in to do things. Did you do throttle-body synchs on the '05?- that will be a thing of the past- Oil and filter changes are still easy- everything else... well it depends on you and your shop.The Wetheads are far more compact, tight, and packaged to the N'th degree. It is not an issue unless and until you start to poke around to add something or make a change. (Your actual mileage may vary). and... I do not know the numbers but the '05 now seems lighter. The Wetheads will feel heavier but probably not much, yet they are just as nimble.

I never thought I needed Pro Shift Assist till I got it. Certainly no an essential but it works and I use it about half the time. In a different thing- Where we live, in Colorado, we have lots of hills and un-level streets. The Hill-assist feature works, comes in handy and once you figure it out it is one of those things you will appreciate and wonder why you never had it before. Is that sort of feature worth the $15k change- that's you call.

If you want an "overall" impression I can tell you there are subtle but important differences between your Hexhead generation and the Wethead generation. The Wets are a different package. Tighter, more modern, more electronic and more difficult to access and modify. This is a bike you use rather than the earlier approach where you use and maintain, and play with mechanically. This is not a bad thing unless you prefer the hands-on, I was a do all/most of the work myself- kind-a-guy. If you are mechanical guy and find that is a HUGE part of your motorcycle life you might want to think about things... If you are ready to enjoy the latest gee-whiz features like controlling audio/suspension settings/navigation/tire pressure/seat heat/grip heat/ and many others from the Wonderwheel, scrolling through, what is it... 8 pages of settings to go find something will have a lot of fun breaking the code. Once you do figure it out- it just works.

It is a big change from a Hex to a Wet... but well worth it, especially if you know what you are getting into. Not to try to be Zen about it but know yourself before you commit.... and... get the GPS.

Edited by hopz

The sales guy I'm tawking to yesterday advised he would be off till Tuesday on a 3 day weekend ( I don't fuss with anybody wanting extra time off) and I told him I'd see him then. I'm still not sure exactly what this bike has for him to call it "loaded" he told me they don't order RTs any less than "loaded" because that buy RTs demand = (0ld guys like us with discernible income, he didn't say it but what he meant LOL)

The bike is substantially discounted and 1.9 finance. Shopping 3 dealers for a 2018 returned nothing but full retail.

Is there any difference in the 2017 and 18 other than cosmetic?

I'm bummed about the pony up for the GPS, but I can still use the zumo on the FJR and ST, I can go with it if the in house gps can talk to basecamp. Why I came to the collective, the sales guy probably doesn't know what basecamp is.

So lemme see if I have this correct.

- there are no trim packages

For instance package 1 gives you abc

package 2 gives you all of package 1 plus def

Pacakge 3 gives ya all of 2 and ghi.

Instead I can build a bike in any combination? If so Marco's advice of making sure what's on the bike is important, I've not ruled a 2018. I like the red better but this gold color bike is thousands less when the price tag and 1.9 finance are factored in. I'll keep y'all posted.

Guy, that's not exactly correct. There are:

- Packages (one example is the Premium package, which includes a long list of features. Packages are incorporated into the bike at the factory);

- Options (examples are keyless ride, gear shift assist pro, central locking system, anti-theft alarm system) These typically come from the factory also, but a few can be retrofitted by the dealer, at extra cost obviously. For example, gear shift assist pro can be added by a dealer (a combination of parts, and a software update). Usually a dealer will charge much more to supply and install an Option than you'd pay for it on a bike delivered with that feature from the factory; and

- Accessories (a few examples are top case, bag liners for side and top cases, Akrapovic exhaust, Navigator VI GPS). Accessories are typically obtained directly from the dealer.

The bike sitting on the dealer's floor will have some combination of package(s) and option(s).

Yes, if you wanted to order a 2018 bike à la carte you probably could, but you'd be waiting months and months for it to be built and delivered. That's why you absolutely need to find out -- in writing -- exactly what packages and options are on that 2017 bike. If you are told that the bike has Package X, you also need to know exactly what features are included in that particular package, or packages. That should be very easy for the sales guy to do. It will all be on paper.

This is why I strongly suggest you go to BMW Motorrad USA's website, and select the "Build Your Own" feature. Even though it'll only show you the 2018 models, it will give you a good idea of what packages are available, and what features are included in any particular package. You will also find the list of available Options as well. I suspect you'll find that the bike on the floor has at least the Premium package, with the longest list of features (and the most costly too. The list price is $3,250 for the Premium package on the 2018 RT). I'm also pretty sure that you'll find that it probably has a number of Options too. Options are priced individually. I don't think there's much difference between a 2017, and a 2018, so going through this bike-build process on BMW's website will be a valuable exercise, I'd say.

Edited by marcopolo

Like Mark said, there are trim packages, and the M/C division does it just like the cars where they are bundles of accessories and as far as I know you can't do al a carte accessorizing period. If memory serves some of the packages overlap some accessories, and they segregate them into groups like comfort, technology etc. The dealer you are working with are like all other dealers and have bikes loaded with all the factory accessory packages. I have never seen a stripped RT on the dealer floor.

Did I mention that the wethead is more flickable light handling than previous generations and goes like stink! It has re-balanced the bike's focus to SPORT/TOURING from the sport/TOURING of previous generations:cool:

Oh... and one other thing... If you have a top case for your '05... It will fit the Wethead. You could change the lock or just carry two keys... just sayn'

and Paul De, above got it right... I think the Wetheads may have a lower CG but who knows. I do know it handles great.

Edited by hopz

I was in the same boat one week ago. I had the dealer email me the spec sheet/price sheet to the bike in question. That way there was no question what was on it. I went for the GPS too and am glad I did. I bought a ‘17 as there is really no important difference in my eyes.

I also sprung for the Akropovic slip on and some Illium silver engine guards. Good luck.

Hello Bama...

First of all, I too had an '05 RT so I can make some observations if you like. Certainly ask here or PM me.

I loved my '05. It served me very well. I never got that sort of mileage out of any set of tires on the '05... no matter what brand. It could be related to riding style or more likely related to where one rides. I'm out here in the west with lots of mountains and juicy curves. I do not think the mileage is all that correlated to the bike... the rider maybe, but the bike is the bike. (I have 8k on the original tires and there is at least 2k left. The '05 was generally toast at 5/6k before.)

I am on a '14 Wethead with the complete package. I got everything at once and I highly recommend working with your dealer to get the GPS in the package. One can certainly do without it but I personally could not. Fitting another Garmin device can be an option as mentioned above but trust me- controlling things via the Wonder Wheel is something you want. (note: if all you want is a basic stripped motorcycle you are investing too much into the deal anyway. If you want the full Wethead experience do yourself a favor and figure out how to get it all in the beginning .)

Garmin came out with the Nav 6 after the Nav 5 (duh) so I suppose there is a slim chance someone upgraded to the 6 and thay may have a 5 available. I love my 5 and cannot imagine riding without it. (for instance- the Navigator 5/6 will pair with your smartphone so that you can send/receive calls seamlessly- but you still need to get that audio to your head one way or another. Do not assume you can hear it via the speakers because there no way that is acceptable.. so you are going to need a headset which is best via some bluetooth link to the GPS. So, finding a GPS that just fits into the cradle may not give you the features you want- or will want in the future.)

I love the way the '05 rode and functioned. I did all the maintenance I ever needed for nearly 8 years on it. The '14 is really fun, functions well but compared to the '05... the '05 was easier to work on. Roomier, as it was, to get hands and tools in to do things. Did you do throttle-body synchs on the '05?- that will be a thing of the past- Oil and filter changes are still easy- everything else... well it depends on you and your shop.The Wetheads are far more compact, tight, and packaged to the N'th degree. It is not an issue unless and until you start to poke around to add something or make a change. (Your actual mileage may vary). and... I do not know the numbers but the '05 now seems lighter. The Wetheads will feel heavier but probably not much, yet they are just as nimble.

I never thought I needed Pro Shift Assist till I got it. Certainly no an essential but it works and I use it about half the time. In a different thing- Where we live, in Colorado, we have lots of hills and un-level streets. The Hill-assist feature works, comes in handy and once you figure it out it is one of those things you will appreciate and wonder why you never had it before. Is that sort of feature worth the $15k change- that's you call.

If you want an "overall" impression I can tell you there are subtle but important differences between your Hexhead generation and the Wethead generation. The Wets are a different package. Tighter, more modern, more electronic and more difficult to access and modify. This is a bike you use rather than the earlier approach where you use and maintain, and play with mechanically. This is not a bad thing unless you prefer the hands-on, I was a do all/most of the work myself- kind-a-guy. If you are mechanical guy and find that is a HUGE part of your motorcycle life you might want to think about things... If you are ready to enjoy the latest gee-whiz features like controlling audio/suspension settings/navigation/tire pressure/seat heat/grip heat/ and many others from the Wonderwheel, scrolling through, what is it... 8 pages of settings to go find something will have a lot of fun breaking the code. Once you do figure it out- it just works.

It is a big change from a Hex to a Wet... but well worth it, especially if you know what you are getting into. Not to try to be Zen about it but know yourself before you commit.... and... get the GPS.

Hello Bama...

It looks like Hoplz pretty much nailed it I would agree with 99% of what he posted. I too came off a 2006 hexhead and while I absolutely loved the 06 I wouldn't go back after having owned my 2016.

As already noted and from talking with my dealer each dealer has the option of ordering their bikes with whatever packages they want to include so as noted earlier you could potentially order a bike specifically with or without any of the options are packages that you desire. But honestly most buyers want most of the features the only features my 2016 didn't have was the keyless start and the central locking both of which I did not want

If you Can get a good deal on a 2017 I would go with the 2017 and be done with it.

Edited by RTinNC

Oh one more thing just spend the extra money and get the BMW Nav 6 . GPS I to did not do that with my 2006 and was happy when I finally upgraded to my Nav 5. And now the 6 is even better. Heck You are spending $20,000 on the motorcycle spend the extra Couple hundred and get the better GPS that is fully integrated with the bike.

P. S. I had dinner with you and the ST1100 guys in Waynesville back around 2001. Nice to see you on a BMW.

Edited by RTinNC

"... he told me they don't order RTs any less than "loaded" because that buy RTs demand = (0ld guys like us with discernible income, he didn't say it but what he meant LOL)"

That was what I was told at my dealership as well. "If you want something other than the full packages(s), we'll have to special order and that will take X much longer. Oh, and your resale value will suffer because everybody who buys one of these wants all the features." So, I put $ down on one with the whole meal deal. Should be here in 4 to 6 weeks.

... he told me they don't order RTs any less than "loaded" because that buy RTs demand = (0ld guys like us with discernible income, he didn't say it but what he meant LOL)

Dealers don't order less than "loaded" for the showroom because the more options, the greater the profit. They know that if a showroom bike has the feature you want, you may be willing to pay for features you don't particularly want just so you can take it home today. The "packages" are optional, and with the exception of a few inter-related items, ordering only the items you really want is possible. Special orders usually take about 6-8 weeks for delivery. Dealers may also discourage à la carte at times when their allotment is limited and demand is high, because they would rather maximize their immediate profits by only ordering fully loaded bikes. Yes, resale on a less-than-fully-loaded bike will be less, and the market for it may be slightly smaller, but your initial price could be lower by thousands of dollars. Notice that price guides for used bikes don't often adjust prices for options.

For those that have logged at least 30,000 miles, what is your average fuel consumption? Wetheads and the previous gen.

Thanks

I don't have detailed records to fall back on but I would say that my 2014 R1200GS gets mileage similar to my 2007 and 2011 RTs. RTs generally get better mileage than GSs (probably due to different gearing and better streamlining). A lot of factors affect fuel mileage so what you would experience could be quite different. My worst fuel mileage has been about 36mpg running down the interstate around 80mph with some headwind. My best fuel mileage has been 61mpg on a couple of rides where speeds were in the 40-60mph range. I consistently get in the mid to high 40s and it's not uncommon to see the low 50s.

For those that have logged at least 30,000 miles, what is your average fuel consumption? Wetheads and the previous gen.

I have 28k miles on my 16RT. Mid 40s. I tend to ride fairly aggressively.

Yes, you can mount the 390 Zumo with some type of handle bar mount and wire it to a power source. But the Navigator VI works very well and you can use it with Garmin Basecamp just like you do with the Zumo 390.

I had a Garmin 590 before. I did not want to mount my GPS on the handlebar and decided to just get the Nav 6.

Another nice feature on all the newer Garmin GPS's and BMW Navigator V & VI is that in BaseCamp, after you created a route, you can mute all the points you added to shape your route (WayPoints, ViaPoints and ShapingPoints). This is really nice if you have the GPS give you turn by turn directions, now you will only get turn directions.

I have also switched from a 2007 R1200RT HexHead with 188,703 miles to a 2018 R1200RT-LC.

The WetHead is so much more refined over the HexHead or the OilHeads. The electronics package is almost over whelming. Using the Wonder Wheel you can access all kinds of info as you are riding, besides being able to use some of the basic commands on the Navigator VI.

The bike handles amazingly better and feels lighter on its feet (wheels). Even though the stock ESA suspension doesn't absorb some of the bumps as good as the Ohlins I had on the HexHead, it has a very refined ride and is very confident inspiring. I am not sure about this, but I think the seat on the 2018 is different from the 2017 and it is way more comfortable then the stock seat of the 2007. But a Sargent seat would be cheaper then any discount you can get from your dealer on a 2017.

The brakes are much improved over the 2007 also, even thought the disc's and the system are about the same, maybe it's the radial mounts or better components.

I am at 4700+ miles and so far it gets similar gas mileage and I don't expect the tires to last any longer then on my 2007 (Metzler Z8).

The only disappointments so far have been, that there is no room under the seat for a tool kit or a tire repair kit and the smaller fuel tank.

I am also having a hard time to get used to the transmission. The Shift assist Pro works fine on down shifts, as long as the throttle is returned to the closed position. But up shifts is another story.

Even though 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 works, it will only be smooth if shifted above 6-7K rpm, which is something that is not useful in every day riding. If shifted below that range, it is very abrupt and jarring.

While 3rd gear and up inside while power is being applied.

At the moment the biggest problem I have is trying to down shift from 4th to 3rd gear while riding at a sporting pace, regardless of with or without clutch lever, there are times when I just can't get the shift lever to move the gear selector, including at least twice it has done a "Fake" shift, ending up back in 4th gear after the shift.

But that is why we have warranty.

Here's the latest.

Too long a story to post here, but the short version I'm trading the 2005 not on the 2017, but a 2018. No pressure from the dealer it was a personal matter. I look to close the deal Tuesday if nothing happens. Dealer could do something to change my mind.

Spent the last couple of days on the mottorad website educating myself. I feel like I know what's going on now with the various packages. I took marco's advice and built several versions of the RT.

-Let me ask this- why can't a guy buy a Nav 6 off Amazon and use it? Or is this Garmin unit unique to BMW? Will a off the shelf Nav 6 work with the RT's wonder wheel thing?

-I have a Sena Bluetooth, it will connect with the RT's audio? If so. can you hear music on the system at speeds over 40?

Here's the latest.

Too long a story to post here, but the short version I'm trading the 2005 not on the 2017, but a 2018. No pressure from the dealer it was a personal matter. I look to close the deal Tuesday if nothing happens. Dealer could do something to change my mind.

Spent the last couple of days on the mottorad website educating myself. I feel like I know what's going on now with the various packages. I took marco's advice and built several versions of the RT.

-Let me ask this- why can't a guy buy a Nav 6 off Amazon and use it? Or is this Garmin unit unique to BMW? Will a off the shelf Nav 6 work with the RT's wonder wheel thing?

-I have a Sena Bluetooth, it will connect with the RT's audio? If so. can you hear music on the system at speeds over 40?

I did something similar and decided for the 2018 also. You maybe able to still get a little of the list price or maybe a free 600 mile service. My dealer did give me 15% off the Nav 6 and tank bag.

I believe any Nav 6 will work on the bike with the wonder wheel or even the Nav 5 (screen not that great).

As for the RT audio and the Sena Bluetooth, I have a Sena 20S and a Sena SM-10, I installed a MotoChello Speaker bridge to the radio under the passenger seat. It connects to the SM-10. My Radar detector also connects to the SM-10 unit. My Sena 20S connects by Bluetooth to the SM-10. This works for the music part of the RT audio and the audio of the radar detector.

Then I connect my Sena 20S by Bluetooth to the Navigator 6. My iPhone 7 is connected by Bluetooth to the Navigator 6.

This allows me to hear my directions from the Nav 6 and see caller ID on the GPS screen. The GPS direction or phone calls will silence the radio.

I have not tried this setup with intercom with other riders, but that part is not that important for me. By the way, I do use ear plug speakers.

RKA's website has lots of how to do it youtube videos also.

I was reading on another forum recently about zumo's 660 and why is it not possible to control it with the wonderwheel. Not a 100% sure but it looks like either is possible: 1. Someone said that the connected pins in the back are not the same as on a nav 5/6 and 2. also possibly because of the firmware. I personally think firmware is probably the issue rather than the hardware.

Personally, I can't justify a nav 5/6 for myself just because living in the city and not having a garage, I can't even lock that thing in place (jealous of the GS owner's for that only reason!) Besides, the price point is way beyond reasonable for me.

I was reading on another forum recently about zumo's 660 and why is it not possible to control it with the wonderwheel. Not a 100% sure but it looks like either is possible: 1. Someone said that the connected pins in the back are not the same as on a nav 5/6 and 2. also possibly because of the firmware. I personally think firmware is probably the issue rather than the hardware.

Personally, I can't justify a nav 5/6 for myself just because living in the city and not having a garage, I can't even lock that thing in place (jealous of the GS owner's for that only reason!) Besides, the price point is way beyond reasonable for me.

Yes you will need to remove the Nav for save storage, I put mine in the tail case but I believe it fits in the left glove box. I'm glad I have the Nav V but I understand the Nav 6 has a better screen in the sun, if so I'd get the 6 vs. the 5. Amazon pricing won't beat the dealer when buying a new bike. If you finance it at the promotional rate the Nav will be part of the payment and you won't even notice it :grin:. The bike is amazing, the price you pay will be forgotten quickly, the grin will be there a long time.

Jay

If you look closely at the Amazon offerings, the Navigator VI sellers are either BMW Motorrad USA or BMW Motorrad dealers. You might as well buy from your own dealer.to generate some good will.

Edited by lkraus
How good are the BMW option LED lights? Yay or nay?

My goal is to get a deal on the LEDs and Nav 6 in package play.

If you mean BMW's LED fog lights, it depends on what purpose you want them for.

I have them as driving/fog lights -- which by definition are meant to be mounted low as they are on a car. Once aimed, the BMW LEDs' beam has a nice sharp cutoff that won't dazzle oncoming traffic, so I leave mine on constantly so as to be seen better in traffic. To me, they're ideal for that purpose and their style looks great on the bike.

If you want big, supplemental "blaster" lights for extended night driving, you can skip the BMW LEDs and get a third-party set like Clearwaters instead.

If you are negotiating a deal with your dealer on Nav 6 and lights I would go for Clearwater lights on the BMW brackets. They are better lights and probably priced close to BMW lights. My deaker gives a discount an all accessories you buy with the bike. It is best to support your local dealer as they will then support YOU if and when you need it. My experience is that BMW dealers in general are not just interested in selling you a bike and making one transaction hspppen but in building a relationship that makes you a return client. At least that is what I have found with my dealer and the half dozen or do other BMW dealers around the country's .

I decided to rather install a Clearwater auxiliary lighting system.

The price for the BMW lights is very close to what Clearwater was asking for theirs.

If you install it with the CanOpener, it can be controlled with the Wonder wheel and the factory controls.

It also lets you add a rear tail/brake LED light bar that can be programed to flash even when you decelerate without using the brakes, like a double down shift.

Also the low beam settings and rear light can be programmed for different intensity for day light and night time.

I decided to use the factory fog light mounts, which mount the lights low. I don't like the mirror mounts, disturbed the lines of the bike in my opinion.

This lets the driving lights do double duty, as they also function like Moto Lights, creating the triangle without having to buy another set of lights.

I don't sell these items, just a satisfied customer.

ME9NQ2V.jpg

Clear and Yellow lens covers installed.

Kkycnhu.jpg

Low beam, without lens covers installed

V4kPudX.jpg

High Beam, without lens covers installed

Here's the latest.

The Navigator VI is a BMW-branded GPS (built by Garmin), and new ones are only available from BMW dealers, so yes, it is unique to BMW. If you find a new, in-the-box, never-opened unit on Amazon, or any other site, it's bering sold by a BMW dealer. I've never seen one, though. I had the Navigator V, and I bought the Navigator VI to replace it, when it was released. Sometimes there are deals to be had. I saved $200 off MSRP, by being part of a group buy, organized by someone over on ADVRider. That was months ago.

As for buying any accessories, like the Nav, or BMW lights etc., my selling dealer offered 10% off all accessories for several months after I took delivery. That's pretty common practice, so you should try for at least that level of discount. For my GSA, I bought a BMW tank bag, and the BMW aluminum side and top cases.

Edited by marcopolo

I have the BMW auxilliary fog lights.BUT, money better spent would be to buy just the BMW brackets, and has been said above - buy a clearwater CanOpener and (IMHO) get a set of Darla's. When set to dim the darla's are great daytime lights whereas the Erika and Krista's are still too bright. Once on Main beam, the Darla's are great (but conversly, not as bright as the Erika and Krista's.

I have both the BMW and the Darla's, but if i did it again, it would be just the Darla's.

Bernie- what exactly is a motochello speaker bridge? Does that boost the radio volume? I have no problem hearing the unit on bike to bike intercom, or phone, but connected to my Iphone I can't hear any music above 40 mph.

Bernie- what exactly is a motochello speaker bridge? Does that boost the radio volume? I have no problem hearing the unit on bike to bike intercom, or phone, but connected to my Iphone I can't hear any music above 40 mph.

Since you ask Bernie to respond I'll let him tell you about the Motochello I'll just say plus 1. If you haven't I'd turn up the volume on your iPhone try that.

Jay

First let me tell you, that I don't use my iPhone for music. I use music on a USB stick and just listen to the same stuff over and over.

The Motochello speaker bridge is basically a switch, that lets you convert the sound that you hear on the BMW speakers into an earplug speaker plug.

This will allow you to use the bike controls for sound and volume adjustments AND let you plug that sound into a Bluetooth Dongle (Sena SM10) to be able to hear that sound through your Bluetooth headset in your helmet.

But I have been told this doesn't work that great with music from a iPhone.

It does not amplify anything.

RKA's website has a whole bunch of videos on how to connect the iPhone, the BMW sound system, the NAV6 and the Sena headsets and make it all work with great sound quality.

If you need music from your iPhone, use his advise for a complete integration.

Now if you have hardwired your iPhone to the bike by means of the aux input in the glove box, then you will have to control the volume by using the controls on the phone.

But there is a big book just for the audio system.

I decided to rather install a Clearwater auxiliary lighting system.

The price for the BMW lights is very close to what Clearwater was asking for theirs.

If you install it with the CanOpener, it can be controlled with the Wonder wheel and the factory controls.

It also lets you add a rear tail/brake LED light bar that can be programed to flash even when you decelerate without using the brakes, like a double down shift.

Also the low beam settings and rear light can be programmed for different intensity for day light and night time.

I decided to use the factory fog light mounts, which mount the lights low. I don't like the mirror mounts, disturbed the lines of the bike in my opinion.

This lets the driving lights do double duty, as they also function like Moto Lights, creating the triangle without having to buy another set of lights.

I don't sell these items, just a satisfied customer.

Yep .... EXACTLY! I really like the way the BMW brackets integrate with the bike. I got Darla's which were on sale at the time and the whole package was about $450. Money well spent as is opting for the Nav6 that is integrated with the wonder wheel. Once I started using the wonder wheel I really like it .... so much so I am thinking of swapping my beloved 2012 GSA for a 2017 GS with SAP, Cruise and the Wonder Wheel. It is easy to get spoiled with the BMW features.

I was never one to listen to music when I ride, but my RT will have it so I dunno. I was prefered my own thoughts when I ride, and I'm NOT gonna take calls when i'm riding either, they can leave me a VM. Somehow riding across Eastern Montana on perfect day, only to have a phone call come in, well, kinda weak.

I'm not gonna spend a bunch of money to make those things happen, but that's just me.

This will be the most money I've ever spent on a bike, Everything is good for me health wise, I hope have 10-15 years riding to go, bu twho knows, so I'm buying this bike with the possibility this will be the last bike I ever buy, so I'm pursuing it accordingly.

Might be a dumb question, especially from a guy with all my experience and miles, but the plan is to trailer my 05 to the dealer with my friend. Each of us buying RTs in a package deal, the dealer is bonkers about this deal. No bike I ever owned has EVER been in a trailer, if he's going somewhere, I RIDE it . With that in mind I don't know what I'm doing, so how do I do it?? He says I can ride it up, but I'll make the final call on it when I actually see the trailer. Many a bike has been messed up,on and off a trailer. Is it best to use the center stand and tie off, or just tie it off sans no stand??

I can't really help you with trailering, as the only time in 189,000 miles my 07 RT was on a trailer, is after it kicked me off.

I don't remember how my friend tied of the bike, I think he had a wheel chuck for the front tire mounted in the trailer.

The bike was not on the stand, tie downs where applied to the rear subframe and to the fork brace up front.

But as I said I don't have much experience with that, check the trailer section of this forum.

After making the deal with my dealer, my salesman explained most functions to me before I rode of.

Set the ride mode to “Rain” and the suspension to either “Soft” or “Normal”.

Don't worry much about the clutch less shifting or the radio. Find out how to read the tire pressure monitor and get familiar with the controls before you pull out.

There are so many different buttons on this bike, compared to the HexHead, it will take a little while to get familiar with it.

Take some nice country roads home and try to follow some of the break in recommendations.

The throttle is electronic, so it turns real easy. It can catch you by surprise with a big power burst if you are holding on to the grip to tight and hit a bump or something.

I hope the deal works out great for you and your friend and lots of luck and many happy and safe miles.

You can do a search on this forum for how to tie down an RT. I found it at near the end of a 3 page search. It was a pic from Tallman. Everybody who commented said DO NOT tie down to the handle bars. I have used a purpose built strap that slides over the bar ends and then you hook up your tie downs to loops which dangle below the bars. Did not seem to cause any problems, however I heard that cinching too much in that fashion can bugger the front forks somehow.

First and foremost buy quality tie downs. I prefer ancra type over ratchet. You are going to want some soft ties also. Tie bike down with four tie downs, at four corners, no exceptions. I've never heard anyone say “wish I wouldn't have tied it down so good.” It's preferable to have a front chock to keep front wheel from turning. Stop and check bike often.

Don't put the bike on the center stand it can easily roll off. Tie it down using soft ties on the forks and rear. Compress the suspension some but you still want it to float. If you have a motorcycle trailer it will have chucks making it easier. There must be a ton of videos to review, I'd ride the bike to the dealership :)

Congratulations on your new ride, you're going to love it!

Jay

I was never one to listen to music when I ride, but my RT will have it so I dunno. I was prefered my own thoughts when I ride, and I'm NOT gonna take calls when i'm riding either, they can leave me a VM. Somehow riding across Eastern Montana on perfect day, only to have a phone call come in, well, kinda weak.

I'm not gonna spend a bunch of money to make those things happen, but that's just me.

Amen to that!! And here I thought I was the only one of that ilk

Edited by RTinNC

Guy I don't think I'm answering any of your questions here but, I just took out my 2014 RT for the first time this year and it still wows the ---- out of me! :revit: Fill in the blanks. :grin:

Pat

John Ranalletta

Don't save money on straps. When you corner at high speed, that 600 lb bike will exert tremendous g-forces.

I use four straps. Two attached to front fork area and fastened forward on the trailer. Two attached to pillion peg frame forward to trailer.

I use Jegs. You only have to see your bike going over 45 deg in the rear view mirror once to appreciate good tie down methods. Using a "belts and suspenders" approach, I also use a smaller ratchet strap to make fast the front wheel to the mast of the chock.

555-80136.jpg

The deal is done. Rode 200 miles non stop from the dealer on my new bike, just got home about 2 hours ago. It took forever at the dealer, they were really busy.

I'll post a few pics on my website tomorrow. My first impression this bike lives up to its billing. It is a fine machine and I can say right now it is the best bike I've ever owned. I got the nav and fog lights in a package deal (25% off)