IGNORED

1998 r1100rt Battey Removal

wqbusch

Battery needs to be replaced. Whats the best way and how do you get the battery out. Its got a cheap Walmart battery in there. Not sure which battery to replace it with but it won't be hard to get a better one.

Walt

Take off the main panel on the left side, remove the air intake tube that is in your way, and if you can't undo both connections start with the closer (neg) one and then you should be able to slide the battery left to undo the other connection.

I like the Odyssey PC680. Three things to know about them: they are about as expensive as you can get (maybe short of walking into a dealer and getting a BMW branded battery), if you regularly leave the bike on a charger the odyssey is spec'd to receive an higher voltage than typical smart maintenance chargers, and they have a reputation, though this seems rare, formdyif with no warning.

(This did happen to me once with a six month old, daily used odyssey - I was of course on a trip on the literal opposite end of the country without my receipt, but got the bike started with a jump pack and then battery replaced no charge no questions at the local odyssey dealer.)

The next time I need a battery, if the 680 is an option I'll buy it.

Edited by szurszewski

I have the PC-680 in my 03 R1150RT and also my 81 R100RT. I do have the proper charger to keep them topped up. I have read that the Panasonic LCX1220P is an excellent battery also.

Ya all know where I,m at on this question. Universal Battery UB12220. It is an sealed AGM battery, works with any AGM compatible charger and is about $50 shipped to your door. It fits perfectly, has plenty of cranking power and will last more than 5 years. You will note the posts are thinner than an automotive battery because it is designed for wheel chair and battery back up applications. You have to slighty ream the post holes to fit the larger battery bolts on the bike. I've run 3 in my '99 RT since replacing the OEM battery. Because they only cost about $50, I replace them at 5 years but they are still going strong. The UB12220 might last 7+ years if you want to push it to the bitter end.

Like PAS says Panasonic is a good one and is essentially the same type of battery as the UB12220. The best price to your door wins!

The PC-680 is an excellent choice and I believe a mil spec extreme service environment battery, but you do pay a premium for that. If I were riding from here to the southern tip of Patagonia Argentina, I might be inclined to go with the PC-680, riding around the US, I'll stay with th UB 12220.

I wouldn't necessarily say a Walmart battery is bad. They are often made by Johnson Controls (think Interstate branded batteries) and a friend who used to work for them said that for standard lead acid batteries you want as fresh as possible more than worry about the name on the side. Wally World turns over a lot of batteries so they will typically have some of the freshest on hand.

Edited by Paul De
I have the PC-680 in my 03 R1150RT and also my 81 R100RT. I do have the proper charger to keep them topped up. I have read that the Panasonic LCX1220P is an excellent battery also.

+1 for the Panasonic LC-X1220P AGM battery. I've had many of them, in my RT the 1220, and in my Airheads, the 1228. With the low voltage ABS warning on the R1100RT I am changing out my battery somewhere in the 2 to 3 year range.

Just recently, I changed out a 1220P at 3 years for a YUASA YT19BL-BS. This is an AGM shipped dry with acid supplied in a nice easy to install pack. Only installed 3 months, so no issues.

I bought a PC680 a few years ago and sold it to someone else shortly after. I did not like having to rig up the battery cable connections. You have to work out something to get your cables connected to the PC680. Either use the supplied L bracket or make one - or twist the cables so they can lay flat on the top. That issue along with all of the issues about the PC680 needing a special charger or higher voltage just made it not worth the bother - for me.

Both the Panasonic and the YUASA have traditional posts on top and will fit your OEM battery cables.

Eckhard Grohe

If your going to run an AGM battery it would be of use to change the voltage regulator in the alternator to give the correct charging voltage. See this recent post from D.R. about the posibilities.

Morning Rick

If you don't positively need to remove the alternator & can trust just spinning the rotor for smooth noise free bearing operation then you can probably replace the voltage regulator with the alternator in place (kind of a bugger to reposition the rear alternator plastic cover & work the regulator out from under it) but it "c-a-n" be done without removing the alternator.

If you choose to do it this way please remove all the women & children from the area as your language choice might not be PG rated during the process.

Edited by Eckhard Grohe
If your going to run an AGM battery it would be of use to change the voltage regulator in the alternator to give the correct charging voltage. See this recent post from D.R. about the posibilities.

While that would be the by the numbers correct thing to do, I'm not so sure it is mandatory to change it out. I did not change my voltage regulator on my '99 RT and get an easy 5 years out of the AGM batteries. To be clear though, when the bike was going to sit for more than a few weeks, or 3-4 months over winter, I have it on a AGM compatible smart charger.