IGNORED

Nav 6 questions

RTinNC

I am seriously considering swapping my Nav5 for a Nav6 so have 2 questions. My primary reason for considering the swap it improved display in bright sun which is the reason I moved from my Zumo450 to the Nav5. It is better but I hear the 6 is even better yet ..... SO ..........

1) on a scale of 1 to 10 how much better is the display in the sunlight on the Nav6?

2) Can I transfer my favorites on the Nav5 to the Nav6 is I use the Garmin site?

I'll answer your second question first: Yes you can transfer your favourites. To do this, you must ensure that you have uploaded whatever data (favourites/waypoints, routes, tracks etc.) you want to transfer from your Nav V, to Basecamp on your PC. Then you would connect your Nav VI to your PC, and download that data from Basecamp to your new Nav VI. While you can transfer data wirelessly from one Nav to another, doing it using your PC and Basecamp will be much faster.

As for the display, I have a Nav VI, and it replaced the Nav V I had. The display is better on the VI, but I would not say the difference is dramatic. I can't quantify the difference.

Edited by marcopolo

Thanks Mark! The display is my real concern and while the Nav5 was a big improvement over my 450 it is still tough at times in the sun. I had heard good things about the display on the 6.

You can also use Garmin MapExpress to backup your Nav5 and then restore it on to your Nav6.

I had a Zumo 590 before the Nav 6 and I think it has a better screen. No problems so far no problems in bight sun light.

Now THAT is great news since I use the MapExpress all the time but had not used Base Camp so would need to load it. Thanks Bernie! How much better is the 6 vs the Nav5?

Hi,

I used Garmin Express to transfer my saved destinations - really easy, as Bernie suggested.

My new Nav VI display is easily readable with direct sun shining on the screen. I have the brightness set to automatic on the Nav VI. With the Nav V, direct sun completely washed out the screen. I couldn't tell if the unit was on or off - there was nothing readable on the screen. This was with brightness set at 100%. We don't ride with direct at our backs all of the time, it is hard to numerically quantify the improvement, except that it is quite noticeable.

Hi,

I used Garmin Express to transfer my saved destinations - really easy, as Bernie suggested.

My new Nav VI display is easily readable with direct sun shining on the screen. I have the brightness set to automatic on the Nav VI. With the Nav V, direct sun completely washed out the screen. I couldn't tell if the unit was on or off - there was nothing readable on the screen. This was with brightness set at 100%. We don't ride with direct at our backs all of the time, it is hard to numerically quantify the improvement, except that it is quite noticeable.

Rick thanks for the reply. THAT is what I am experiencing with my Nav5 and it sounds like the Nav6 is considerably better in the sun. Appreciate the info and confirming the transfer using Express.

Nav VI screen is better,but very reflective,which is not so noticeable when on and it shows fingerprints and smudges a whole lot more than the V or IV screens.

There are matte screen protectors available which cut down on the above issues,but last I checked they were from a European source,if that is an issue for anyone.

Had hoped to find screen protector at the MOA Rally last summer,but nothing available there at that time.

JR356

Nav VI screen is better,but very reflective,which is not so noticeable when on and it shows fingerprints and smudges a whole lot more than the V or IV screens.

There are matte screen protectors available which cut down on the above issues,but last I checked they were from a European source,if that is an issue for anyone.

Had hoped to find screen protector at the MOA Rally last summer,but nothing available there at that time.

JR356

Yes have heard that too but also heard they are easy to order.

Francois_Dumas

I ride in Italy, lots of sun usually. So far no problems with visibility. The reflection IS an issue. I have a dayglo-yellow helmet and in certain circumstances I see the helmet more than the map. (Had that with my old Garmin 350LM too, so nothing new, although that has a matte screen protector).

Are those screen protectors not hampering the touch screen function too much?