IGNORED

RT and 2018 Goldwing Comparison

LudemJo

Here is a review I wrote on another forum. Thought some might be interested:

I've only got about 175 miles on the Goldwing Tour DCT, so take this comparison with a grain of salt. My wife hates riding on the back of the RT. She says she sits higher and gets blasted by the wind more than my (traded in) Harley Electra Glide, and she felt much more exposed. If your wife likes riding on the back of the RT, buy it. I rode the RT to work this morning after riding the GW for a few days and I am reminded how responsive and effortless it is. Performance and handling wise, the RT beats the new GW in every way. It is the perfect blend (to me) of sporty with touring capabilities. Steering feels light, responsive, and precise (with my Metzler RoadTec 01 tires). The GW steering is super light at low speeds, which is great for parking lot and low speed traffic work. It's touring mission comes through loud and clear at cruising speeds where the steering gets more stability and it takes much more pressure on the bars to initiate a turn at speed.

I've got the quick shifter on the RT, so I don't need the clutch once I get rolling. It works well in the higher gears, but is not happy doing it in the lower two gears. It will do it, but it kind of sounds and feels painful for the transmission. The GW DCT is so smooth you almost have to look at the gear indicator on the dash to see if it is shifting. It is amazing...really. If you get the chance, you really need to go to your dealer and ride a DCT bike. Many of the Honda dealers have demo bikes and are offering test rides, so go do that before they go back to their old habits of not allowing any test rides as they have done forever. Two issues with the DCT in my limited experience so far: 1) It upshifts to the next gear way sooner than most of us would. It shifts to 2nd within 50 feet of rolling away from a stop and will be in 6th at 40 mph. I think it is programmed for economy overall. Now, if you get on it more aggressively from a stop it will hold the gears longer, and of course you can always shift into manual mode, but the transmission's mission in life is to get to 7th and cruise. Not a bad mission for a full dress touring bike really. 2) The throttle response in Sport mode is too aggressive. I rode in sport mode yesterday and on a bumpy road I could not hold a steady speed every time I hit a bump it moved my wrist and hand enough to make the bike jerk. I will continue to experiment with it, but the throttle mapping in Touring mode is just right.

The GW bags are indeed small. My RT's bags are cavernous in comparison. Two FF helmets will not fit in the GW trunk...no way. The helmet lock setup would be fine if there were two of them, but Honda decided to provide only one, and oh by the way, there is a piece that goes through the D-ring that is separate and I can see it disappearing making the helmet lock useless. Investigating other alternatives now. I did order the luggage rack and built in brake light to be installed soon. That will help with carrying capacity. My wife and I generally take day rides and the once or twice a year 3 - 4 day trip, so with the luggage rack I think we will be fine. Locking up the helmets though, is important to me because I hate hauling around a helmet when we are off the bike.

Overall, with about 175 miles under my belt, I am very happy with the GW. It is much better than the Harley Electra Glide Classic that it replaced. The GW is still a touring bike through and through. Don't think of it as a sport tourer. The RT is a sport touring bike in my opinion, and a very good one. I don't really believe that these two bikes are direct competitors, the GW is more aimed at the K1600, which I have never ridden so I can't make a comparison of that. I ride with a group that has several oldwings, and it would be a struggle to keep up with the Harley. The redesign of the GW happened at the perfect time for me, and I am pleased to be an early adopter. It is a beautiful bike, and doesn't have a bad photographic angle. It is much prettier than the RT. For our two-up riding, it will be the perfect tool for us...and I still have the RT for solo riding, what could be better.

In closing though, I will say it again. If your wife is comfortable on the back of the RT, buy it. It will satisfy your desire for some performance when you are riding solo and has more than adequate two-up touring capabilities (and luggage capacity). BUT...you really need to go take a demo ride on a DCT Goldwing before you decide. I am having a blast riding it. In spite of a few issues, I love it, and plan on riding it through my 8-year extended warranty period.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

John

Edited by LudemJo
My wife hates riding on the back of the RT. She says she sits higher and gets blasted by the wind

Well, I have heard amazing things about Aeroflow AeroWings. Also fitting a Werks Quiet Ride Windshield transformed the air management on the Wethead for us.

Makes sense that the passenger would like the Glide, the Wing, or the GTL, that's why I never let my wife near any of those land yacht machines when I was buying the RT. What she don't know won't hurt her!

RecentConvert

My wife doesn't think highly of the RT either! She would much prefer that we still had the Honda ST1300. Even with the Werks Quiet Ride shield, she mentions the Honda was/is superior.

The RT was a compromise for both of us. She wouldn't ride the FJR that I wanted and I didn't like the weight or handling of the ST1300. We settled on the RT.

My wife doesn't care for how she sat on the back of the RT vs. my old Honda Shadow. Sat too high. My problem is I like to sit fairly far back on the seat. That forced her to put her knees way out. That hurt her hips too much. If I moved forward, that hurt my knees after awhile of riding.

Luckily my wife rides her own RT. Problem solved! But if I ever did have to go to a 2 up situation, I'd keep the RT and get a Wing.

Ooops ... did not see this post before I posted this : (looks like we had similar perspectives)

Yesterday my buddy and I had the pleasure of riding the new Wing at a local Honda dealer. He was actually more interested than my in a purchase but I had my interest peaked by all I had heard. The dealer was VERY gracious and allowed us to demo 2 of the new Gold Wings for about 20 minutes each.

Let me begin by saying this is arguably the BEST iteration of the Wing to date! Honda really seemed to do their homework and it is one nicely put together motorcycle. The color options are all really attractive and the fit and finish and attention to detail is very well done. I love the way the side cases open and the lids seem very securely mounted. In addition the attention to the “little details” is very nice. But like the sales manager noted “it only took Honda 11 years to get it right” !

Riding the new Wing it is well …. very “Wing Like” which is smooth and powerful but not crazy fast but more sophisticated fast and very well mannered. We demo rode both the 6-speed manual as well as the DCT for about 20 minutes each. Not a very long ride but enough to get a feel for the bike. While the new Wing was comfortable at 6'3” tall with a 34” inseam I could not tell how comfortable it might be after 3 hours on it. But on the demo ride it was very comfortable. I did find on the 6-speed manual that my left boot toe kept bumping into the back of the cylinder. I assume that could be resolved by an adjustment but if not that would be very annoying. In addition I did feel a slight bit of heat on both my ankles since you ankles are right behind the cylinders that seems reasonable but I will note that my buddy did not notice that heat. I also notice a slight whine from the 6-speed manual that I did not notice on the DCT bike.

While I love shifting and using a manual transmission I have to say I was VERY impressed with the DCT (7 speed) and how buttery smooth it works. The BMW Shift Assist Pro (SAP) is very smooth on upshifts but have to say I think the Wing was even smoother. And in sport mode using the DCT the power was really impressive. If I were buying a Wing I am not sure if I would get the 6-speed or the DCT and I never thought I would say that about an “automatic transmission” as it was THAT good. I did not like that even in manual mode it downshifts for you. I would like manual to be well “manual”. The motor sounded very Wing like with maybe a slight bit or rumble added. I noticed that more on the DCT model than the 6-speed and liked the sound a lot. Not as nice as the BMW K1600 sounds but nonetheless a nice Wing sound.

The “parking motor system” both front and reverse seemed to work well and I did notice the “front assist” is only available not eh DCT. Not a big deal for me but some may want that feature. Also, the bikes had Hill Start Assist which worked fine but I did not like that it only says engaged for 5 or 10 seconds. On the BMW it stays on until you release it or pull away.

The new front suspension worked very well and it was neat to watch the top of the shocks (if they are shocks?) move up and down as the bike floated over bumps. The infotainment system seemed pretty well integrated but I did not really play with it too much. I will say that like most any other new high tech vehicle today the owner will need to study the manual as there are a LOT of tech bits to learn. Heck there are 2 or 3 different ways to just start the bike.

At 6'3” tall I thought the standard height windshield on the Tour model did a good job and provided a nice calm riding capsule. Some might find the windshield a bit narrow and lacking the arm and shoulder coverage but for me I really liked it.

All that being said would I buy one? Probably not. For me there is just not enough there to justify a $30K purchase. It is still a 800+ pound motorcycle and still a Gold Wing. My wife and I are never going to be a “touring couple” spending weeks on our motorcycle and if I were I would opt for a late model BMW K1600 as there are a ton of them on the market with very low miles for 1/3 the cost of the new Wing. And nearly ALL of the very nice enhancements on the Wing have been on the BMW bikes for a few years now i.e. electric windshield, DCT (BMW has the SAP), keyless ride, central locking, improved from suspension, etc. The Apple Car Play was the only feature I thought was unique to the Wing and since I believe we already have enough distractions that is not an issue for me. In addition the K1600 has more luggage room which if touring 2-up really is a big deal and something I think Honda may hear from the owners.

That being said if you are a Wing owner looking to upgrade and have been waiting for the new Wing you will LOVE this bike! It seems to have everything Wing owner have been waiting for. I was happy to get the opportunity to demo ride it now as I suspect the lines at Americade will be miles long !!

Oh and on pricing … it seems that a lot of the options are “dealer installed” and we learned from the dealer that while you can go on-line and configure / build your Wing and get an estimated cost, since the options you may have selected are “dealer installed” they will need to add labor for that installation of any of the accessories which could add quite a bit to the bottom line. The also noted that while there was not much ability to negotiate price at this time they were offering a “good deal” on the extended warranty and the service plans. I would probably look hard at the extended (5 year) warranty giving you a total of 8 years which is what I got on my 2016 RT, not sure I would go for the service plan. But that is just me.

As I have always said motorcycles are aa very personal thing and while the new Wing is probably not for me it is a superb motorcycle and I am certain the current Wing owners will love it and the initial demand seems to be supporting that perspective. What I am not certain of is whether this new Wing will attract the next generation of Wing owners. For me riding solo the RT is a much better option offering virtually all of what the Wing offers in a much lighter and more nimble package.

As always YMMV !!

My wife doesn't think highly of the RT either! She would much prefer that we still had the Honda ST1300. Even with the Werks Quiet Ride shield, she mentions the Honda was/is superior.

The RT was a compromise for both of us. She wouldn't ride the FJR that I wanted and I didn't like the weight or handling of the ST1300. We settled on the RT.

Wives are funny. Mine preferred my old RT 1150 to my current ST1300. She said she sat up slightly higher on the RT for better visibility and had better air protection :-/

• 2 weeks later...

A GW?? Why not just buy a car? Maybe a nice convertible and I bet your wife would really like that and think of the luggage space and no helmet required. Hmmm, maybe not a bad idea.

Does the GW have a transmission that runs in its own oil? IMO that would be a plus.

I'd rather think the proper comparison to the Gold Wing is the K1600.

Do you see any Police riding Gold Wings?

Actually. I've seen a few.

A GW?? Why not just buy a car? Maybe a nice convertible and I bet your wife would really like that and think of the luggage space and no helmet required. Hmmm, maybe not a bad idea.

Does the GW have a transmission that runs in its own oil? IMO that would be a plus.

I know some minimalists who'd say the same thing about an RT, or a GT/L.

I admit I do like the sleeker GW, and I'm not so concerned about luggage space. Buy wash & go clothes, and follow the old saw about taking twice the cash and half the stuff. My problem is that I have a hard time forking out car money for a motorcycle. I'm part of the demographic that's upsetting new bike sales because I'm busy trolling Craigslist.

Really?!? I didn't expect that kind of response from this crowd. If I have to explain why this motorcycle is different from a convertible, you are a troll and not a motorcyclist.

Really?!? I didn't expect that kind of response from this crowd. If I have to explain why this motorcycle is different from a convertible, you are a troll and not a motorcyclist.

John,

Thank you for your OP which I found interesting and I agree that Jame's post was an unexpected response on here.

John,

Thank you for your OP which I found interesting and I agree that Jame's post was an unexpected response on here.

I generally don't question others' bike choices and it's clear from James' response that he doesn't like GWs, but with 1200+ posts over 17 years on this forum he can hardly be considered a non-motorcyclist "troll."

By the way, I have an 04 328cic convertible and know the difference. :)

I just thought the response was out of line. We ride because of the freedom of movement it allows us to exploit to control the motorcycle. It is the closest thing you can get to flying on the ground. Banking into a curve is no less enjoyable on a heavy touring bike as it is on a sport bike. A convertible, or any car, does not give you that sensory experience. Comparing ANY motorcycle to a car is just dumb. If it was the same thing, none of us would be riding motorcycles. We all get it, or I think we do, that is why I took exception to James's response.

oh, by the way, I also own a Volvo C70 convertible. There is no comparison...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the OP John and the comparisons of the 2 bikes. You are a lucky guy to have both the RT and a GW. Any feedback on the new suspension on the GW?

I have been researching the new GW extensively. There are a few posts on other forums stating that there are potential problems with the new front, double wishbone suspension. I am not going to post any links here for fear of enflaming the issue. I am a newbie on this site and don't wish to be a sacrificial lamb. It won't take much web research to find the videos. I am curious to hear if any owners of the new GW are having any front suspension issues. This of course leads to the possibility that manufacturers putting out these bikes too quickly and the new owners are the beta testers. And no, before anybody asks, I am not an owner of a '14 RT. Not wanting a Do Not Ride email from Honda.

I am comparing the 2018 GW to the 2018 K1600B which inevitably brings in the R1200RT into the discussion. I have an old 97 Valkyrie in the garage which is a blast to ride. The flat 6 is a wonderful motor and has a very low COG. I am planning on test riding the new GW this week. I anticipate a similar ride. The RT is appealing in that the weight is nearly 200 lbs less, great reviews, etc. I have a '16 R1200 GS so I am familiar with the motor. Zero issues with the GS in 16K miles.

Russ

The GW suspension issue brought up would give me pause in purchasing. Granted, the info being put out there is from a suspension company that happens to do a lot with the Goldwing. Seems credible though. I think Honda will address this fairly quickly once the shock bumpers begin blowing out. I really like this new wing, think it would be a perfect companion to the GS you have! :thumbsup:

BTW, welcome to the site! :wave:

Pat

So, Traxxion is the primary source of all the bad suspension comments. As Tewks states, they are a aftermarket suspension manufacturer. In fact they bill themselves as "the center of the Goldwing suspension universe." I think I got that quote correct. So, here's the thing, Honda spent 4-years designing and developing the new Goldwing which is their flagship model. I'm sure they had a team of engineers working on the project, and didn't take anything for granted, or make decisions without some serious thought. Yet, Max, from Traxxion, has the bike for a week or two and declares it garbage. This opinion is contrary to all the glowing reviews that were coming in after the model launch and after several notable riders pronounced it the best they had ever ridden, even stating it was as good or better that one tester's old Goldwing with the "Full-Monty" Traxxion suspension on it. None of this is surprising thou. Max needs people to believe that the new Goldwing's suspension needs help, and that he alone can fix it. He is a business man, he is not going to say the suspension is great, when his business depends on selling new generation suspension upgrades.

I think Max is a very poor marketing guy. Instead of bashing the new bike, he should have said, "It is good, but I can make it better." He has alienated so many current owners by bashing the new bike that he may have hurt his future business.

Personally, I think that bike rides and handles well. As I put more miles on it, particularly two-up, I may determine that the suspension needs some help, then I will look at my options. Just consider the source, and question his motives. He also has several followers that also are banging the drum, but few other sources have raised such a stink as Max and Traxxion. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet.

Do yourself a favor, and go ride one. Honda dealerships are generous with test rides with the Goldwing debut. They won't keep doing this forever. Eventually, they will go back to not allowing any test rides at all, so do it now. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by LudemJo

For sure one should apply critical thinking to anything read on the Internet. I would also say don't give a blanket pass to a manufacturer for a miss on execution. There are plenty of examples where the manufacturers with their fleets of smart people followed their project management process to a goof. So what are we to believe? Our lying eyes of near zero free shock stroke travel or the momentum of a multi million dollar launch process that says all is perfect? The truth is always somewhere between.

I am sure fundamentally the new front suspension is going to be great and I can also believe that an 11th hour purchasing decision to save money could have resulted in the observed out of travel under static load condition. The third party shock guy making hay out of it to maybe have a banner year is understandable.

The zero available shock stroke thing will sort itself out either by the aftermarket, or the manufacturer. The thing that is not being talked about is the loose steering head bearings that was also pointed out. Now that is something that I would check ASAP if I was so lucky to have a new GW sitting in my garage. Hope that was a one off issue and not an assembly flaw that affects the safe operation of a whole bunch of new GWs.

Everybody I know really like the new GW.

There is about 190 pounds difference in the wet weights of the 2 bikes.

This after the GW shed about 150 pounds from prior version.

So, good job Honda.

But weight wise it is like comparing the RT to the Ducati Scrambler.

;)

So, what did they eliminate?

Cargo area and gas capacity, among others.

More than anyone needs to know

:)

Good review of different bikes that just happen to carry a rider and pillion a long way in comfort.

So, what did they eliminate?...Cargo area and gas capacity, among others..

Just like BMW has done on all their RT's from the 1150 onward. We now have our Wetheads with no place to hide the essential 'stay on the bike' stuff which we had with the lovely old Oilheads.

Edited by AndyS

The bike that had the loose steering head bearings is the sole example that has been found and documented. I am not saying that there aren't others out there, but a sample size of 1 is not statistically significant. I just have a hard time buying Traxxion's claims, and their video proof could very well be manipulated to get the result they want on film. So far, I think the Goldwing's suspension is good, and matches the machine's mission. I only have about 500 miles on the bike so, time will tell. I just think Max approached his marketing incorrectly, and harmed his reputation with many new Goldwing owners, many that are now buying their first Goldwing.

I'm not saying the bike is perfect as is, but, "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." Someday I may determine that the suspension needs some help and if that happens I will look at the options, just as I did with my HD Electra Glide, Traxxion will not be the first place I look though...

Oh, and this is my first Goldwing.

A troll am I? Well, imo a nice convertible would be more desirable than a GW or any other motorcycle that approaches the gizmo loaded land yacht Honda refers to as a motorcycle. Honest to god I would rather walk than own a conveyance like a GW. There, I feel better having said that. And while we're on the subject the K1600 kind of fits in the same category as a GW in my very humble opinion. Oh, and don't get me on the HD dresser subject and loud noises save lives. Grrrrrrrr....

I should also say that to BMW's credit you can special order a new R1200RT without the gizmos and lower the price down close to a new FJR1300ES which is the only way I would consider a new RT. In fact this idea really intrigues me and I could almost see the future in it but I'll keep the two bikes I own for now especially the like new '93 RSL.

Edited by JamesW

A troll am I? Well, imo a nice convertible would be more desirable than a GW or any other motorcycle that approaches the gizmo loaded land yacht Honda refers to as a motorcycle. Honest to god I would rather walk than own a conveyance like a GW. There, I feel better having said that. And while we're on the subject the K1600 kind of fits in the same category as a GW in my very humble opinion. Oh, and don't get me on the HD dresser subject and loud noises save lives. Grrrrrrrr....

I should also say that to BMW's credit you can special order a new R1200RT without the gizmos and lower the price down close to a new FJR1300ES which is the only way I would consider a new RT. In fact this idea really intrigues me and I could almost see the future in it but I'll keep the two bikes I own for now especially the like new '93 RSL.

What does the "gizmo load" have to do with the difference between riding on four wheels versus two? The experience is totally different regardless of gizmos. I have to agree with the author of the post you quoted. If someone has to explain it,, you're not really a motorcyclist. Maybe you should buy a convertible and forgot about motorcycles.

Hey, maybe I'll be the lucky winner of that '74 R90S that will be raffled off by the MOA. Now there is a motorcycle worthy of the name. Got my tickets.

Edited by JamesW

Glad you feel better JamesW. You have the right to an opinion, just like everyone else...

I love both of my current bikes, and your opinion doesn't change that. Have a wonderful life.

Hey John, I got just the bike for you. Well, not literally but it's a new behemoth by Yamaha called a Star Venture. This beast weighs in at 959 pounds and has about every gizmo known to man. I think it even has forward and backward park assist. How sweet is that? Makes my FJR look like a moped. Oh, it's also the heaviest "motorcycle" ever tested by Rider magazine.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

• 1 month later...

I had to ride a GW for a week while a friend was thinking in coming back to BMW. Let me tell you, the only thing that I can admit that is better is the headlight and horn. The rest, there is no comparison, plus it loves the gas station. MPG is horrible! Neatless to say, he is now heading to Portland to pick up his new RT. I have a set of Ericas with the Police brackets above the handlebars and I'm very happy with the outcome.

Edited by alexp
A troll am I? .......Hey John, I got just the bike for you. Well, not literally but it's a new behemoth by Yamaha called a Star Venture.......Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Yep - troll is politely accurate.

Edited by TPadden

Nah, James is a good guy. We talked via PM and discussed our backgrounds. That explained much of the difference of opinion. As I told Jim, "Sometimes the forums don't allow for the full story behind the person, and because of that sometimes we miss golden opportunities to relate to fellow enthusiasts."

alexp,

A friend that owns a 2017 Goldwing and I swapped bikes during a ride recently. It was my first time ever riding an older generation bike, I had never ridden a Goldwing before riding mine. The 2018 Goldwing is an entirely different animal from previous generations. Like I said before, most Honda dealers have demo bikes available, and you should take the opportunity while it is available even if you are only remotely curious.

John,

That is what my friend was contemplating in getting. 2018 GW. He finally realized that bike is just too big for Hawaii. The RT is more a perfect one IMHO.