IGNORED

Possible R1100S purchase

BobW03

Today I was at a luncheon with friends from non-BMW club. One of the people there previously had a K1200 inline series but then bought a 2005 R1100S from the same person. The R1100S only had 800 miles when he bought it and he has only put on maybe 1500 since purchase. I currently ride a 2003 R1150RT and am wondering if the 100 would be much lighter to be used for single riding only. I would still keep my 03 for riding 2 up with the wife. I have done maintenance on my 1150 and wondering if anyone has any experience with the 1100S? Besdides the age of the tires, any big concerns or should I look for a different bike if I want something lighter? AT 5' 4.5" I had a custom seat made for my 1150.

Thanks

Bob

I have an 04 S, with about 25k, great bike. Very good for solo riding. However with me, at 73+ years of age, I'm moving down to smaller bikes, so it will be out there for sale soon, just part of life, so will be getting more time on my 500.😖

I have had two R1100S models. The first was an 04 Boxer Cup edition (non ABS) that I rode for 46,000 miles with no problems. Went to California and other long rides. Was out of the states for 5 years, but when I came back I got another 04 R1100S with ABS. Purchased from a non BMW dealer it took me awhile to get in running well. Have taken in on several long trips over 1000 miles and no problems. If it has ABS then a little more maintenance is required in that the brake system should be flushed to keep the pump operating well. I also think that these bikes don't have the same problems with the transmission output shaft splines as the early RT models. I am 5'-10 1/2" and I found the seating position very good, but a lower seat or trying to lower the overall bike if you can. Brake lines should be replaced if they are stock. Otherwise I find it hard to find another bike as good.

BobW03,

I have had a '99 R1100SS for two years now and it is a very good bike for 1 up riding. I sold the double seat and kept the solo Corbin Smuggler. There are also ways to lower the suspension front and rear I've read. It's not as tall as my '99 R1100RT and handles so much lighter.

The engine has more in common with the 1150 than the 1100. There were obviously changes made during the years it was in production, but the clutch splines definitely were an issue with some in the early years. Also the early HES wires and of course the OEM brake lines. You might consider drilling a weep hole for the hydraulic clutch slave cyl on the rear of the tranny. If the slave cyl fails the DOT4 will eat up the rear seal on the tranny and the DOT4 and tranny lube will travel down the clutch push rod to the clutch disc requiring fixing all the above. I was doing that last year this time.

I found that my bike's engine was really improved with the addition of an AF-Xied by NightRider.

Depending on how aggressive you are riding the twisties, Michelin PR4 tires are very good, as are several other tires. You might need to replace them, depending on the age.

oilhead1100s1150rt

iABS - issues..........you got to flush the brakes every year. I wouldn't even wait the recommended two year period. I have had mine on several 1000 mile plus trips. You will love it, just watch the fluids.

iABS - issues..........you got to flush the brakes every year. I wouldn't even wait the recommended two year period. I have had mine on several 1000 mile plus trips. You will love it, just watch the fluids.

Morning oilhead1100s1150rt

It hasn't been a 2 year recommendation in quite a while now

Per BMW service bulletin # 3400206019 (2006) the I-ABS brake fluid service interval has been revised to every year on the wheel circuits if the motorcycle has rubber brake hoses (might as well do the control circuits as you are already in there).

On I-ABS BMW's with stahlflex brake lines (like the 1200 bikes) the wheel circuits are every 2 years & the control circuits are every 4 years, but again (might as well do the control circuits as you are already in there).

As mentioned above by another member, I had two separate consecutive R1100S bikes - a '96 red non-ABS and then the '98 yellow ABS version. Both lovely bikes with the bigger rear wheel and the polished ports with forged pistons. Both were hydraulic clutch models which of course means annual replacement of / attention to the pesky fault-prone pathetic clutch slave cylinder.

The yellow ABS bike gave me no trouble in the pump maintenance issue that so often crops up on these pages.

But a smashing bike for whizzing along one-up with the 'dropped' handlebars; however, still quite a heavy vehicle but lovely performance. I dissed the fairing-mounted mirrors and replaced them with handle-bar-mounted ones. Much more convenient for twisting the bars at a junction to be able to see back up the joining road.

You see here the OEM rugby-ball-shaped Russian-made tank bag plus the Baglux rear-seat soft luggage case, with the front wheel Fenda-Xtenda and the rear wheel hugger with the under-bike fairing. All the bell'n'whistles. Should never have sold it... familiar story ? ?

BMW_R1100_S_-_Alan_in_2003.jpg

Edited by Alan Sykes

I had a 1998 R1100s. As a solo bike it is one of my favorite all time bikes. If I could afford more than one bike, I would have not qualms about owning an older R1100s. I still feel the R1100s is one of the most timeless bikes there has been. It sill looks sharp in todays styling environment.

oilhead1100s1150rt

Hi DR, Interesting on the flush interval. Seems another miss by my trusty dealership. I have the rubber hoses and was told just a few months ago the interval was two years. If I didn't mention it before, I want be going back to them - no matter what.

For anyone in the area, they happen to be on rt309,if interested.