IGNORED

High milage sale of RS

Gru

I have a 2004 R1150RS, it has 103,550 miles, and no issues, other than high miles, I have been trying to sell it locally, for $2550, however too many people are scared of milage. Would it sell on this site, or should I just keep riding it?

Hi, Gru -

On this site you'd have to replace fuel lines, brake lines and shocks to make it attactive to knowlegeable buyers and still have to discount it for age & mileage. You'd also be asked about documented maintenance, no doubt.

It's a problem many of us have with our still-running older bikes. Another option is to part it out but, oh, what a hassle. Still, some here have done it successfully.

Gru -

I see you have been here a short time, so I should add that you can put an ad in the Classified section (under Information and Sharing) and see what happens. Be sure to read the Rules and Guidelines carefully.

John Ranalletta

Many moons ago, a wise friend in the real estate business said, "Given we're not in a recession, the house that doesn't sell in 30 days is overpriced." You're asking $2,550. Drop the price to $1,995 on ibmw.org, here and other forums and see what happens. Then drop the price $50/week until sold. I've sold lots of bikes and never in less than 2 two weeks.

Edited by John Ranalletta

kinda depends on what kind of condition it's in. mIne is a little beat up at 70K. Some people ride around on shiny new cream puffs with 210K.

Do some shopping of your own. Check local ads, stop at the dealer. See what other people are asking (keep in mind, that's asking, not necessarily getting). Pretend you're interested in a new bike, and see what the trade in offer looks like. Also some dealers will do a consignment deal for you. Might be worth a try. Personally, I like ebay. Put it on there for a couple hunerd, and see where it goes. You have to put some effort into it though - getting good clear photos so people can assess the bike from their laptop.

One thing about offering it here - if you're a new member, this site isn't likely to produce much better results than anywhere else. Now, if you've been socializing with folks here for a decade or more, you might be able to sell it to a friend or acquaintance a little easier.

In the end, you rode a bike for 100K miles. You probably got your money's worth even if you let it go for a song.

On the other hand, take an idea from Hawaiians: Put a for sale sign on it at the price you desire (maybe even add an extra $3K), and just keep riding it as if it weren't for sale at all. Sooner or later you'll find a guy that just HAS to have it. Good luck!

It's a 2004 so it already has steel braided lines. You don't need to replace those.

The RS isn't as popular model as the RT due to the riding posistion and when they were new, one had to buy the luggage separately . The price was very close to the RT which came with luggage and offered more wind protection and a mor comfortable riding position for a number of people.

I say stick to your guns if your bike is nice and clean and advertise here and on the IBMR.ORG

That way, you are laser advertising, not using the shotgun approach.

Can you post a picture ?

The silver one was very pretty.

Edited by Tri750
  • Like 1

As an owner of a 98 high mileage RS and 'sorta high mileage' 2002 RT, I think you will have trouble selling it for much over $1,000. It is 14 model years old. It is getting into the range that people who ride BMWs know you can start expecting things to go wrong, from irritating things like throttle body bushing/shaft wear, pivot pins, front and rear shocks, to the big things: transmission (shaft bearings). People who don't know BMWs will be scared off by the mileage (which really isn't much, to tell the truth).

Good luck.

I have a 2004 R1150RS, it has 103,550 miles, and no issues, other than high miles, I have been trying to sell it locally, for $2550, however too many people are scared of milage. Would it sell on this site, or should I just keep riding it?

Morning Gru

In my area a nice looking 2004 BMW R1150RS with 100K would easily bring $2500.00 but usually only after they are seen by the buyer. Bit more difficult to sell in the papers or Craigs list with over 100K (people usually won't call or even look at over 100K bikes).

But a nice shinny 2004 BMW all cleaned up will grab attention no matter the miles (THEN, you can talk & convince them miles on a BMW are not such a big deal)

Find a BMW club in your area then start riding to some of their breakfasts & events with a "for sale" sign on it-- bet you it will sell for $2500.00.

• 1 year later...

I ride my 95 R1100RSL an annual average of 1K per month, with 85k on the clock.  I recently sold a 97 R1100RT with 175k on it for $1700.  The right buyer will not be afraid of the mileage.  They will be interested in upkeep status, i.e. tires, brakes, oil change, drivetrain fluids, valve adjustment,  throttle bodies, etc.  If it rides out nicely the mileage is only one point of negotiation for the sale.  

I bought a 02 R1150RS just last month, 22k miles, with ABS problem. $2k. 

I rode it 120 miles home from the previous owner with ABS light flashing all the way, other than the servo not working, seems to be operating fine. 

I plan to remove the Servo-assist ABS this winter, just de-link the brakes and replace the brake hoses. 

If you really want to sell your RS, $2550 seems high to me. 

2 hours ago, cat0020 said:

I bought a 02 R1150RS just last month, 22k miles, with ABS problem. $2k. 

I rode it 120 miles home from the previous owner with ABS light flashing all the way, other than the servo not working, seems to be operating fine. 

I plan to remove the Servo-assist ABS this winter, just de-link the brakes and replace the brake hoses. 

If you really want to sell your RS, $2550 seems high to me. 

Well, it's been almost two years since the OP started this thread - maybe he sold it. Or, maybe he's been lowering the price $50 a week, and he'll now give someone $1500 to take it ;)

• 3 years later...

Ha, ha, I sold it for $2500, but that’s been a while ago, just got an 03 with 19,000 miles, plan to keep it for a good long time (providing my health holds up)

79 now, and still enjoying the ride.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Gru said:

Ha, ha, I sold it for $2500, but that’s been a while ago, just got an 03 with 19,000 miles, plan to keep it for a good long time (providing my health holds up)

79 now, and still enjoying the ride.

Good follow up, now 5 years on.  I sold my second, low mileage (17,000 miles) 1998 R1100R 75th Anniversary for $4500 in 2020.  My other identical one now has 41,000 miles and is not for sale.

• Like 1

I have a buddy who has recently bought two 2017 R1200 RT's. One for his house in FL and the other here in MI. I've ridden both and keep thinking of moving to a WetHead, but realize my '04 RT (133k) would be almost worthless. It's been expertly maintained and has Yacugar shocks, Bill Mayer saddle, Cee Bailey's windscreen, new Paralever bushings, clutch, slave cylinder and a million other updates and meticulous maintenance that makes it totally reliable. Hey, maybe I should just keep it and enjoy it. So for now, that's what I'll probably do. :)

• Like 1
szurszewski
3 hours ago, RPG said:

I have a buddy who has recently bought two 2017 R1200 RT's. One for his house in FL and the other here in MI. I've ridden both and keep thinking of moving to a WetHead, but realize my '04 RT (133k) would be almost worthless. It's been expertly maintained and has Yacugar shocks, Bill Mayer saddle, Cee Bailey's windscreen, new Paralever bushings, clutch, slave cylinder and a million other updates and meticulous maintenance that makes it totally reliable. Hey, maybe I should just keep it and enjoy it. So for now, that's what I'll probably do. :)

Maybe you just need a second house like your buddy has - new bike at one, old bike at the other. Easy!

• Like 2
  • Smile 1