IGNORED

Can the fictitious "Dare Devil" ride a motorcycle?

beemerman2k

OK, some of you may know that I get the strangest ideas while riding and this one occurred to me tonight. Could the Dare Devil ride? How could he if he cannot see? Of course, he'd have to rely on his keen sense of hearing to detect and monitor the behavior of the cars around him. They slow down, he slows down, they swerve, he knows there's something in the road. He'd probably opt for one of those electric motorcycles so he can better hear the vehicles around him. A Harley would probably be out of the question. An RT might fit the bill, though :rofl:

Then I began to ponder what I could do as a rider if suddenly, at highway speeds, I instantly lost my eye sight! OK, I can gauge where I am according to the indents between the lanes and then the rough patch designed into the highway to alert drivers that they have drifted into the breakdown lane. I"d have to rely on them to navigate to the breakdown lane and hope to God the lane is clear of any broken down vehicles so I have room to stop.

Hey, what can I say? I don't have one of those entertainment systems on my bike: XM radio, GPS, iPhone hookup, nothing! It's either hum tunes or use my imagination :wave:

I have some relevant experience. At one point I owned 1948 Plymouth. It was about 17 years when I bought it. It had one fuse for the electrical system and had a habit of blowing that fuse at inconvenient times. When the fuse blew all of the lights went out. I had several experiences riding on winding mountain roads in Vermont at night. When the headlights died, I had a few seconds of trying to remember what the road ahead did while I came to a stop.

OK, some of you may know that I get the strangest ideas while riding and this one occurred to me tonight. Could the Dare Devil ride? How could he if he cannot see? Of course, he'd have to rely on his keen sense of hearing to detect and monitor the behavior of the cars around him. They slow down, he slows down, they swerve, he knows there's something in the road. He'd probably opt for one of those electric motorcycles so he can better hear the vehicles around him. A Harley would probably be out of the question. An RT might fit the bill, though :rofl:

Then I began to ponder what I could do as a rider if suddenly, at highway speeds, I instantly lost my eye sight! OK, I can gauge where I am according to the indents between the lanes and then the rough patch designed into the highway to alert drivers that they have drifted into the breakdown lane. I"d have to rely on them to navigate to the breakdown lane and hope to God the lane is clear of any broken down vehicles so I have room to stop.

Hey, what can I say? I don't have one of those entertainment systems on my bike: XM radio, GPS, iPhone hookup, nothing! It's either hum tunes or use my imagination :wave:

Afternoon beemerman2k

Some of us "er!" older riders go way back into the 6 volt era. Riding or driving with 6 volt headlights at over 70 mph is the same as riding blind.

Over the years I have also had a few total frontal light failures, usually in an automobile but a couple memorable on motorcycles. Light failure in a somewhat lit area isn't too bad as there is some guidance light but riding in the outback at speed can be a real eye opener (well "something" opener anyhow). Years ago I was sailing across US 2 in Michigan's upper peninsula (somewhere in the upper 80 mph's) on a Ducati about 2 am focusing intently for deer, & more importantly black bears, when all my lighting & electrical quit. I'm not sure if you have ever been in the Mi. U.P. late at night but it's darker than a coffin buried 10 feet deep. Memorable moment in my life for sure!

dirtrider, fortunately, I think that predates me. My first bike was a '77 Kawasaki KZ400S. That was a bargain basement model they offered that year; no tach, drum brakes all around, and a cheap exhaust. The lighting on that bike was pretty poor, but I would think still better than a 6 volt headlight.

Yes.

Anyone can.

Not all can do so equally.

I've seen some riders who don't seem to be able to see.

Now the real question is, how long could DD ride?

Lone_RT_rider
Who is the fictitious Dare Devil?

My thoughts exactly. I never read comic books, is this one of those things? Do I need to consult a Millennial for definition?

Who is the fictitious Dare Devil?

Apparently it is a Nexflix series: "Charlie Cox stars as Matt Murdock / Daredevil, a blind lawyer-by-day who fights crime at night."

beemerman2k

I am only aware of the Dare Devil through comic books, although there is a movie about him. Ben Affleck plays the role of the Dare Devil. Anyhow, all I know about him is that he's a blind super hero who relies on his keen sense of hearing to function. His hearing is apparently so in tune that he can do virtually anything a seeing human can, and then some.

Edited by beemerman2k
beemerman2k
Yes.

Anyone can.

Not all can do so equally.

I've seen some riders who don't seem to be able to see.

Now the real question is, how long could DD ride?

OK, let's change up the question a bit: would you ride as a passenger on Dare Devil's motorcycle? :rofl:

beemerman2k

Lol! I can see; fairly good vision, and yet you might be better off with the Dare Devil!

Edited by beemerman2k