IGNORED

Cylinder head for Wethead

RTnger

Look at the MachineArtMoto head guards for the liquid cooled bike.

Have a set on my GSA,like how they really blend in with the valve covers.

Proven(not by me yet :) protection.

JR356

Look at the MachineArtMoto head guards for the liquid cooled bike.

Have a set on my GSA,like how they really blend in with the valve covers.

Proven(not by me yet :) protection.

JR356

+1 on MachineArtMoto guards! Well made, easy install and do a nice job.

Morning RTnger

Altrider makes some decent & stout engine protection. I use a number of Altrider products on my off-road bikes & they do the job just fine.

If you are planning on riding your 1200RT to Patagonia or the Artic Circle then those Altrider cylinder head guards as well as a heavy duty skid plate might be a good investment.

For a street ridden motorcycle they are not the best looking as they have exposed (unground) welds & a rather off-road (functional) look to them.

If you want good heavy duty valve cover protection then they will work fine, if you want a more flowing street looking protection in line with the RT's looks then probably not so much.

Morning RTnger

Altrider makes some decent & stout engine protection. I use a number of Altrider products on my off-road bikes & they do the job just fine.

If you are planning on riding your 1200RT to Patagonia or the Artic Circle then those Altrider cylinder head guards as well as a heavy duty skid plate might be a good investment.

For a street ridden motorcycle they are not the best looking as they have exposed (unground) welds & a rather off-road (functional) look to them.

If you want good heavy duty valve cover protection then they will work fine, if you want a more flowing street looking protection in line with the RT's looks then probably not so much.

Probably why Altrider shows them on a GS :grin:

Well, I think their Crashbars look pretty good. However the head guards (IMHO) are far from up to the job. 3mm aluminium will easily deform and whilst that may protect the rocker cover on a stationary controlled fall over, they will more than likely be deformed because of it.

They look like real budget items in terms of finish and form. The OEM guards are so much more robust and resiliant and sympathetic to the lines of the bike.. So too are the MachineArtMoto items (and indeed others). These Altrider units have to be the worst I have ever seen.

I have BMW head guards on my '16, but here's another option that is perhaps somewhere between valve cover guards and full guards. There is conjecture they might protect the head in a tip over because they're not out as far as some of the other designs. This concern suggests the developer never bothered to verify they do work, or knows they don't work but continues to market them as protection. It could also be they will protect the valve covers, but not much else, though that is hard to say from looking at them. I think they look very cool, much more discreet than illium or other full wrap around, but it also appears you might be able to get the valve covers and plugs out w/o removing them which would be bonus. They are also about the price as BMW valve cover protectors, and so are about 1/2 the cost of full wrap arounds.

Screen_Shot_2018-03-03_at_8.08.25_AM.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018-03-03_at_5.58.49_PM.jpg

Edited by NoelCP
That would be MIGHT NOT protect the valve covers in a tip over...

I have these on my 06 RT Hexhead. They do work on a tipover but appear a bit bashed afterwards... yes just from a tipover. I went with the Machine Art Moto covers on my 14 Wethead. I'm happy with the latter, but no falls yet to report.