IGNORED

rear splines lube

pdpwcd

just finished rear splines lube used Honda Moly 60 think this is the right stuff it was not too easy this time hope its easier the next but I was very glad I did the splines were bone dry have 10400 miles

just finished rear splines lube used Honda Moly 60 think this is the right stuff it was not too easy this time hope its easier the next but I was very glad I did the splines were bone dry have 10400 miles

Honda Moly 60 is discontinued, Guard Dog Moly can't be found either. I haven't heard of a good replacement.

Jay

I've been using Loctite LB8012 moly paste for the past six years. 65% moly, seems to be readily available, sometimes packaged as Loctite LOC51048 or just plain Loctite Moly Paste.

Searching Amazon for Honda Moly 60 only turns up Honda HN 08798-9010 (M77). Looking for the the MSDS for that, I'm taken to the sheet for Dow Corning MOLYKOTE® M-77 paste, so apparently it is just re-labeled for Honda.

The M77 might be a better choice than the Loctite just because it is available in small tubes. Costs/ounce are not that different, but I have enough Loctite that I might need to mention it in my will.

Edited by lkraus
LittleBriar

I know there's already been discussion about this on wetheads elsewhere, but what's the consensus? Should the rear splines be inspected/lubed regularly and at what mileage? As far as I can see there is no schedule in the manual.

I know there's already been discussion about this on wetheads elsewhere, but what's the consensus? Should the rear splines be inspected/lubed regularly and at what mileage? As far as I can see there is no schedule in the manual.

Afternoon LittleBriar

Obviously BMW engineering doesn't think there is a reason to do so.

It's not a sliding or wearing area so the lube is mostly to keep the spline joint from rusting or corroding tight.

I haven't seen much being done on this with the wethead yet but on the older 1200bikes I have seen a few that were worse off after lubing as the person doing the work didn't get the gator boot re-installed perfectly & that allowed the spline area to fill with water.

Afternoon LittleBriar

Obviously BMW engineering doesn't think there is a reason to do so.

It's not a sliding or wearing area so the lube is mostly to keep the spline joint from rusting or corroding tight.

I haven't seen much being done on this with the wethead yet but on the older 1200bikes I have seen a few that were worse off after lubing as the person doing the work didn't get the gator boot re-installed perfectly & that allowed the spline area to fill with water.

Over on advrider.com, there's a long post about doing it to prevent rust as several owners have found significant amounts of rust on the joint or driveshaft on their wethead R1200GS.

LittleBriar

I might take a look at it when I do my 30k mile service which is coming up soon. I remember reading about the problems of the gator boot seal so I'll be careful to get it right. Reading the manual, it doesn't look like a big deal to inspect it. I tend to ride rain or shine so I have been in a few rain storms.

My opinion had always been a resounding NO! No harms done in lubricating the spline (nothing gained either), but there can be some serious harms done IF you do NOT replace the rubber boot correctly! I am a bit tired of explaining the reason, but Google u-joint failures for the 1200s boxer. Happens more often with the GS/GSA crowd, especially ones that frequently ride through water.

Edited by PadG