IGNORED

BMW Repair Manual on CD

Roger C

I purchased the Official BMW Repair Manual for the 'R Models K2X Street. Quite honestly, I don't understand how to get started using. it Is there a tututorial out there that can help?

I purchased the Official BMW Repair Manual for the 'R Models K2X Street. Quite honestly, I don't understand how to get started using. it Is there a tututorial out there that can help?

Morning Roger C

Are you sure it is a CD? Most are DVD, a DVD needs a CD/DVD player so usually won't work in a CD player.

In any case, will it auto load start or can't you even get that far?

What type of computer are you using it on Windows or Mac?

If the disk didn't auto launch itself after inserting into the optical drive, then in the windows OS you need to get to your computer drives (computer from the start menu) and double click on the autorun file and this will start the process. If memory serves it wants to download onto a hard drive, and you need internet access because it must be registered with the mother ship. You might be able to run straight from the DVD, but I think it can't update the manual with revisions as they come through. Once loaded to your hard drive you can launch it from the application file call Repair_Manual (about 9 megabytes in size). It launches into its own browser window but first passes through a splash screen which is the same as the picture on the front of the jewel case the disk came in.

The first screen you get is a not so intuitive liability statement screen, but at the top left of that screen is an icon that looks like a 4 lane highway with an off ramp, click on that and your in. From there you need to select the specific model bike you have and then on the right side of that screen there are 9 categories (chapters) of manual that you navigate through. Once actually in the manual navigation is fairly straight forward.

Let us know if you get that far.

As a side note, I also purchased the Haynes manual as the BMW manual assumes you have all the special tools and the Haynes manual will show alternate ways to do some of the procedures. In the end, beyond simple maintenance and medium difficulty service work you'll need the special tools unless you build your own one off tool with a vertical mill and a lathe. A person needs to know their limitations and tap out when they feel like they're lost in the tall weeds.

Edited by Paul De