IGNORED

R1150r transmission/final drive oil

eliastfk93

Hello all,

I'm taking my 04 r1150r rockster on a 1000 mile round trip from Houston to Northern Arkansas. I've been using mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 for the engine oil, but I'm going to be flushing the transmission and FD oil before this trip as well. I used mobil 1 75w-90 for the trans and FD about 9,000 miles ago. Just wondering if anyone has any other recommended oil brands/weights that I should try. Keep in mind, my bike gets ridden almost daily in the Texas heat.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I'm taking my 04 r1150r rockster on a 1000 mile round trip from Houston to Northern Arkansas. I've been using mobil 1 v-twin 20w50 for the engine oil, but I'm going to be flushing the transmission and FD oil before this trip as well. I used mobil 1 75w-90 for the trans and FD about 9,000 miles ago. Just wondering if anyone has any other recommended oil brands/weights that I should try. Keep in mind, my bike gets ridden almost daily in the Texas heat.

Thanks!

Evening eliastfk93

If what you are using now is working then keep using it.

For the transmission life the gear oil selection is not important but different gear oil choices can effect shifting. Problem is there not one specific gear oil that works best across all 1150 bikes. So use what shifts best in YOUR motorcycle.

On the final drive the Mobil 1 75w-90 is about as good as it gets as long as you don't have seal leakage. A number of BMW 1100/1150 final drives have some seepage issues with uplevel synthetic gear oil (it isn't the synthetic gear oil itself but the lack of enough seal conditioner in the synthetic oil blend that usually causes the problems). On the seepers sometimes changing back to non-synthetic can slow or even stop the seeping.

Thanks DR! Everything runs as it should. No leaks or seepage anywhere, so I'll just stick to the regular routine. I like the mobil 1 20w50 because it seems as though it quiets down the valve train a bit. I tried valvoline and castrol of the same viscosity when I first purchased the bike, but she seems to really like that mobil 1.

Edited by eliastfk93