IGNORED

advice please? "Big Five Profile 4.0" for job application

Doug 55

Hi, I'm moving to in-person interviews (QA engr) with a company I'd really like to work for and a "much needed" return to the workplace. Phone interviews went fine and I'm looking forward to the live interview but this requirement is new and unfamiliar to me. Just wondered if anyone has experience with this or similar and how to approach it other than just plow through?? TIA for any advice!

C____ Electronics uses the WorkPlace Big Five Profile 4.0 for a variety of uses with persons in the workforce.

-Pre-employment screening and selection

-Team development

-Succession planning

-Training

The questionnaire typically takes 10 - 25 minutes to complete.

The results of your questionnaire will be used to help make a decision about your candidacy for the position. Your scores will be kept confidential and only shared with a Certified Big Five Consultant (HR) and the Hiring Manager. Your confidential information will be kept on record for hiring consideration or for future openings in other jobs. Please, resist the temptation to answer the questionnaire in a way that you think would make you an ideal candidate this current opening. Doing so might have an undesired effect.

I've had no direct experience with this particular assessment. But, this (Click Here ) may give you an idea of how this one works. I hated these types of personality labeling things, but at least there are greater ranges vs. many that only go 1-5 or 1-10.

I think the best advice is as stated " ... resist the temptation to answer the questionnaire in a way that you think would make you an ideal candidate this current opening." and just answer honestly to the best of your ability.

I always had the problem that sometimes the actual answer is "... it depends" but that isn't an option. :Cool:

John Ranalletta

Not familiar with this tool specifically, but it appears to measure same psychological drives as common to other instruments.

Would be interested to know if the employer has created a job profile and is matching candidate results to that profile. If not, it's just busy work.

Don't try to spin the results. Answer as naturally as possible.

As it says in your tagline: "Even if you're good, you've still got to be lucky."

Personally, I don't think too much of these types of personality analysis assessments. Too many variables and the analysis, in my opinion, is simply subjective. Years ago, a company that I worked for had us all fill out a questionnaire for a similar evaluation, and then a couple people came to present the "results". They had me pegged as having certain qualities, which I disagreed with. And several of my co-workers (that I knew quite well) had weird assessments too. One thing about these questions - it all depends on what you're thinking about at the time, and the way you interpret the question. As stated earlier, the answer is usually "it depends".

So, depending on how badly you want the job, you could:

1) "Work" the answers. Usually you can guess what answer will make you out to look like a God, although maybe you should shoot for Cardinal, or Deacon.

2) Just fill it out, and don't put too much thought into it. Drink a beer while you fill it out.

3) Follow the directions and take it seriously as instructed. Drink some coffee, go to the library, do it when you're rested and fresh. Hope for the best.

4) Don't fill it out, and then tell the HR guy that you don't believe in this airy fairy nonsense (i.e. find a job somewhere else).

5) Have your spouse fill it out for you (giving her view of your answers).

6) Let your neighbor's kids fill it out (giving their own answers)

Think of that as sort of a practice test.

If you can't tell, I find it mildly offensive that someone thinks they can get inside of my head, and then they actually try to. Work is work. Work is not family, or a social club. Make it clear that you will show up on time, and get the job done. A wise man once told me to say this in an interview: "Sometimes I don't know the answer, but I know where to look it up!"

Whatever course you take, best of luck to you!

Be honest - you are selecting them like they are selecting you. If you get the job as a result of lying on the "quiz" and then realize the company culture is not what you like, you can only blame yourself.

I use a variety of personality questions in my interviews to make sure that the person coming in will fit in with the team. For me, having a team that works tightly together is paramount. We spend most of our waking hours working so it had better be with people you enjoy being near.

Edited by Sonor