IGNORED

Replace Ohlins spring

Dave P

Afternoon all- 1996 R1100RT- I'd like to switch out the spring on my rear Ohlins shock with a lighter duty spring (I have the new spring). What is involved with removing / replacing that spring? I'd prefer to just switch it out myself if I can, rather not ship it out. The shock has been serviced recently. Thanks, Dave

6866.jpg.544b8fae16afc41ff8b17a26b274fdd3.jpg

Edited by Dave P
Eckhard Grohe

I have no answer for your question but I also have an Ohlins with the heaviest spring for the shock on it and am thinking of going down one step. I'd like to buy the spring you are taking out if it happens to be the one I need. I would like to know the numbers on the springs you are dealing with.

Have a look on YouTube for some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Eckhard Grohe

Eckard- I was told the spring on the shock is correct for a 250 lb rider AND a 250 lb passenger. The stiffest spring they offer I suppose. I'm 175 lb and usually it's just me. I'll look on the spring later and get the numbers off the spring. I was planning to sell the spring after I switch it out. I'll get back to you on that with a PM. Dave

Hey, Dave,

Ted Porter at The Beemer Shop is a certified Ohlins distrib (the original and biggest US distrib, I heard) and Ohlins repair/tuning shop, along with several other brands of shocks. He also has a R1100S. The Beemer Shop On top of that, he is a super nice guy that loves to talk about MC suspension and it doesn't matter where you bought your shocks. I'd heard others say this about him and found it to be very accurate. If you have any questions, leave him a message and he calls back.

duckbubbles

I was able to change the front shock spring on my '11 RT myself. The rear had to be sent out for a replacement because I could not find a spring compressor to fit. The coils are too close together and the spring is too short.

Frank

To answer your question, you need a spring compressor.

It's very possible once you have the shock out, a local motorcycle shop would swap it for not a whole lot of money.

It's possible an automotive spring compressor COULD work, (2 piece type) but I would call a few shops.

I won't tell you the caveman method I've used a few times in my garage as there will be lots of finger wagging if I do.

Yeah- I was gonna try to put something together to do it, but a "local" (25 miles away) shop will switch it out for 25 bucks, so I'm gonna do that. D

I won't tell you the caveman method I've used a few times in my garage as there will be lots of finger wagging if I do.

Haha.... I'm like Sargent Shultz on this method. I see nothing I know nothing! But now understand why Hogan needed a vice, a BFH, a block of wood and a helper hanging like a monkey from the spring :dopeslap:

Please, nothing as archaic as that .

A gentleman does not work on things in that fashion.

The subtleness of “handcuff” width zip ties is much more civilized.

Yeah that would be more like Lucy on the savanna. I have used zip ties in a similar way, but the zip locking part typically gets overwhelmed. Not recommended.