IGNORED

What else do you do for fun besides ride?

I make sawdust in my basement.

Here are a couple of the latest things.

5" beveled glass hand mirrors

152069562045.jpg

Make these cheese boards on order. This was a donation to my grand daughter's band auction. She lives in Highlands Ranch, CO. The buyer wanted it for a gift and I sent it to Navarre, FL.

152069593120.jpg

I'm a chronic social drinker of hot brown water with local friends to discuss any subject on Saturday mornings. Of course I'm retired now so I have 6 Saturdays a week! :grin:

I'm also a big fan of Peter Eagan's writing. I'm not nearly as prolific as he is, but I have written a few articles on my motorcycle experiences.

The Sportbike Rally

I'm a chronic social drinker of hot brown water with local friends to discuss any subject on Saturday mornings. Of course I'm retired now so I have 6 Saturdays a week! :grin:

I'm also a big fan of Peter Eagan's writing. I'm not nearly as prolific as he is, but I have written a few articles on my motorcycle experiences.

The Sportbike Rally

Nice read. Is the event still taking place?

Unfortunately not, as it just got too big for its' own good in such a small town. I owe my Moto Guzzi Lemans and the MGNOC (Moto Guzzi National Owners Club) for even knowing of the event. The event founder was a Moto Guzzi Lemans II rider and member of the club. I first attended in 1990 and still have Canadian friends that I normally visit yearly.

Edited by sardineone

Oh gosh, I have so many fun activities. :clap:

Putting holes in paper with a variety of instruments.

Training our GSD girl, still trying to find her a "job".

Searching estate sales for vintage vinyl of many jandras and interesting tools I might not have.

Always on the lookout for small Native American and western items for home decor.

Restoring and resale of A Brandt Ranch Oak furniture. It's suppose to be a business

but when you spend more that you make it's a hobby.

Helping the wife with flower gardening.

Taking power naps. :rofl:

I build traditional flintlock muzzleloaders. Also build cedar strip kayaks. Still haven't figured out the picture thing.

Running, because it keeps my brain from exploding at work.

Gardening because we like to grow what we eat

Primitive black smithing because i like the smell of coal forges.

Trying to understand what Henry Ford was thinking with the Model T.

Tinkering with antique farm equipment and hit and miss engines

I do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me what to do ;)

Home renovation, a constant transformation. We just finished knocking two bedrooms down to a make our master suite, fun, fun fun. Also, just prior to that, build an additional bathroom in the basement so that my oldest daughter, husband and grandkid would have something downstairs to use while they moved back in with us.

Running, not because I like it, because it's a necessary evil that keeps the tubbiness at bay. Road cycling, that, I do like, while stationed in Okinawa, Japan, I was doing anywhere from 2-300 a week. Here, time is the constraint, so not so much but still ride.

Cutting grass,.....yes, I dig it.....it's about 3-4 hours to do my yard and is extremely relaxing......no weedeating,...I use roundup ;)

Shooting.....simply targets, keeping the precision skills up along with failure drills and quick reaction drills.

Lately, I come home from work and take a nap.

However, for awake fun: Backcountry skiing and cycling (road & mtn. bike) pretty much top my list. The rest is puttering and trying to keep up on house/yard/moto/car/bike/ski maintenance. Just rototilled the garden, and now working on getting that planted. And then there's the geriatric pugs that are a remarkable amount of work. One's totally blind, the other very near blind and completely deaf. Oh, and selling the clutter in the back room on ebay (this is actually quite rewarding, even when I let stuff go for a song).

Oh, and arguing with people on the internet.

Play my drums and compose music, go to the gym, enjoy my four legged daughter (Belgian Tervuren), and spend time with my wife usually renovating some part of the house.

I know the thread is about fun besides riding, but I'll grant you a waiver to post a photo of riding during a medieval joust! :grin:

I know the thread is about fun besides riding, but I'll grant you a waiver to post a photo of riding during a medieval joust! :grin:

I like my motorcycle and my life too much to try that!

There is a British jousting association, if you've a mind to go over the pond.

Tropical fish and aquatic plants in my aquariums.

Helping my wife raise one of our granddaughters.

And cleaning my bike and cutting grass.

We travel in the Motorhome trying to see every nook and cranny of this fantastic country. Running is a passion as well and discovering new trails and routes. Got bit by drag racing 50 years ago and much to my wife's chagrin I simply cannot shake it. And of course two grandkids make everything interesting and fun, starting last year one spends the summers with us on the roads of the West.

roadscholar

Routes, always looking for new dirt roads (and trails). For the past six years I've done the Trans-Fla Rally routes, dirt roads and trails from the Atlantic to Gulf then back a different way. Last year we started doing a 2nd one in the Fall so two a year now. We try to start and finish in different towns every year.

I think it's been five years for the Polar Bear Rally in January, eight routes each year (big/small bike on Fri, A, B+, B, C, and Adv on Sat, and Adv ride on Sunday). 5 or 6 years ago I finished a mostly dirt route from Ormond Beach to Tellico Plains, Tenn where the TAT starts. Recently completed it to Everglades City, Fla, I think total it's around 1700 miles. Also over the past 4 or 5 seasons have finished a 1500 mile dirt loop for big bikes around Colorado. The fun is in finding new stuff, tying it together, and pre-riding it all to make sure it's passable which is the time consuming part. It's almost an obsession, soon as one's done, have to move on to the next, We just held this Spring's Trans Fla last weekend (we average 80-110 riders), it went from St. Augustine to Yankeetown and back. Yesterday I finished up next Fall's route from Jax to Steinhatchee and back : )

Francois_Dumas

Now retired, but stil

Designing 3D objects for Flight Simulator

Scale modelling and diorama building

Drawing and painting, both on paper and digital

Photography

Writing blogs and newspapers

Run my EuropeRides website

Run my FSAddon.com webshop

WW2 history research and book reviewing

Travel Italy

Argue with Nina about when I finally will get to

work on our house and terrain, never finished

Knightriders From what I remember, a pretty good flick for the times.

MV5BNzRiZGNlOTctYjY5OS00YTcwLThkNDctN2VjYTdhNWJiODJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,732,1000_AL_.jpg

Lone_RT_rider

I have to admit, most all of my hobbies involve something motorized. Motorcycling is a bit more than a hobby for me, but the other actually hobbies include....

This....

6291606_20170719074522944_1_LARGE-L.jpg

And this....

Corvette%20001.jpg

And then there is making some of this....

DSC_0036-X2.jpg

Knightriders From what I remember, a pretty good flick for the times.

MV5BNzRiZGNlOTctYjY5OS00YTcwLThkNDctN2VjYTdhNWJiODJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,732,1000_AL_.jpg

Man, I haven't seen that in years. I'm told that some of the folks who worked on that movie were early SCA people, and after filming was done the armor used ended up as loaner gear for one of the local groups.

I might have to pick up a copy of that on DVD one of these days.

....arguing with people on the internet.

No you don't.

Yes, I do.

Sorry, time's up.

Apparently you are unfamiliar with Dazelight Spending Time.

Time is never up.

Or Down.

You can't spend it, or save it.

You can waste it.

You can run out of it, sorry, don't have time to explain and you'd disagree anyways.

:lurk:

Joe Frickin' Friday
I make sawdust in my basement.

You too? When I'm not busy making Mojo, I make...other stuff. My website has galleries of stuff I've made for the house and for the workshop, but I haven't updated it for a long time.

Back in summer 2016 I made a vintage fire truck sign for a somewhat historical workbench I had inherited. That same summer I also made an outfeed table for my new SawStop tablesaw. Sounds like it shouldn't be hard, but there are some important requirements: it has to be flat, it has to be parallel to the saw table, and it has to be on a level with the saw table.

That's it on the left:

i-mHkD3bH-L.jpg

flimsy MDF on a warped-up welded steel frame, joined by gap-filling construction adhesive that hardened while the MDF was laid on a flat surface. The long legs have adjustable feet, and the side without legs has standoffs that are shimmed so the whole thing sits level with the saw table:

i-nLrf25p-L.jpg

Top surface is Formica for durability and low feed friction. It has tabs on it so you can clamp it securely to the saw table:

i-vkz9H5G-L.jpg

It works great, no more fumbling to hold up long stock for rip cuts:

i-L6cFQsb-L.jpg

i-NszcfKT-L.jpg

What else? A couple of years ago I made a sushi display. No, really. In Japan, pretty much every restaurant has a display case out front filled with plastic models of their menu items so you know exactly what they sell before you even walk in the door. If you want to start a restaurant there, this will be one of your major initial expenses:

i-SgsWdRv-L.jpg

i-6SMtxTF-L.jpg

i-zFmFsv4-L.jpg

There are a couple of sanpuru manufacturers that dominate the market, and one of them has a shop for tourists in Tokyo. A few years ago I bought some sushi fridge magnets there and brought them home, where I made a tray for them.

Started with a bamboo cutting board:

i-XRRV7WB-L.jpg

After a little cutting and drilling, I got this far:

i-gRwSM9F-L.jpg

The four small holes are for dowelling the feet in place, but the rest are for magnets (remember, the sushi pieces are fridge magnets!):

i-Vt6Ff8m-L.jpg

Cutting and installing plugs for the magnet holes:

i-GnSQRr6-L.jpg

i-fTfG26q-L.jpg

A little chiseling and sanding, and they become pretty much invisible:

i-zSxZvSH-L.jpg

Some final assembly, a bit of spray varnish, et voilà:

i-XM3TmjK-L.jpg

Just add (fake) sushi:

i-znqc84K-L.jpg

And maybe a briefly-refreshing 3-ounce can of coke:

i-6kS64v8-L.jpg

The magnets actually work pretty well:

i-ph9kmkL-L.jpg

This decorates my office desk now. Every once in a while my boss rearranges the sushi pieces just to mess with my head.

I envy your saw. I'm using a used Rigid saw that works well enough, but obviously doesn't have the safety feature of yours.

I also need to build an outfield table. Currently my router table which is on a cabinet, is being used as it is the same height as my saw table top.

Very creative use of the fridge magnets.

I say this in the best way possible "It's a damn shame some folks get all of the talent and the rest of us struggle getting by." :wave::grin:

PS Your shop is too darn clean. NO SAWDUST to be seen. :old:

Photography, playing the guitar, fishing, and HAM radio.

Burt.

How did that not come up at FART?

W9BUD

Photography, playing the guitar, fishing, and HAM radio.

Burt.

How did that not come up at FART?

W9BUD

I don't know. I guess I never though of it. I haven't been too active lately.

W8DAQ

Bill_Walker
....arguing with people on the internet.

No you don't.

Yes, I do.

Sorry, time's up.

Apparently you are unfamiliar with Dazelight Spending Time.

Time is never up.

Or Down.

You can't spend it, or save it.

You can waste it.

You can run out of it, sorry, don't have time to explain and you'd disagree anyways.

:lurk:

I think elkroeger and I were channeling Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" sketch.

"I think elkroeger and I were channeling Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" sketch."

No we weren't.

(hey, what did you expect?)

Cut reflective vinyl and wait for you guys to order it. :wave:

I also get on Facebook and poke at Steve Carr and Bill Walker and their friends. :rofl:

Francois_Dumas
Cut reflective vinyl and wait for you guys to order it. :wave:

I also get on Facebook and poke at Steve Carr and Bill Walker and their friends. :rofl:

I hadn't noticed .... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by Francois_Dumas
I chase fish

FkJb3ZCyEAGKI9I72

Tell us more about your boat John.

My wife will tell you never ask me to talk Boats or Motorcycles it never ends. I have a 2008 Harbercraft 2525 Aluminum boat built in BC Canada, and a 1984 Boston Whaler Montauk used primarily in North Western Washington and BC. Pictures worth a 1000 words RITWJKokPVBZAgvC2

Salmon, crabs, prawns yummy.

Good looking boats. Love the Harbercraft. Nancy and I boated Desolation Sound year before last. Good memories.

Bill_Walker
"I think elkroeger and I were channeling Monty Python's "Argument Clinic" sketch."

No we weren't.

(hey, what did you expect?)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bud, I have done Desolation sound area many times, I'm actually leaving the unrally a day early so I can run the Harbercraft up that way to meet a “Yacht Club” group. If you ever get back to the area I have a dock and deep-water moorage in Fisherman Bay Lopez Island that is about 3 miles from Friday Harbor. Love to here about your trip over a pop at unrally.

Being surrounded by water , it is in and offshore fishing ,clamming, oystering, and chasing scallops when they rarely come in season.

Still like to play music, but the licks are getting a little tougher with each passing year.

roadscholar

Another thing I enjoy (beside exploring and finding new roads and trails) is driving. Particularly in entertaining well-engineered cars and especially those whose tops go down, definitely adds to the experience.

008-XL.jpg

004-XL.jpg

003-XL.jpg

053-XL.jpg

002-XL.jpg