IGNORED

What else do you do for fun besides ride?

Inspiring visuals

Yep, Bill does that really well. :clap: Now I WANT A JEEP TOO! :grin::thumbsup:

Pat

You're still too young! Not really, wish I'd gotten one years ago. I was just telling Molly it didn't seem right to have this much fun and not be breaking any laws..

Thanks guys, here's (quite) a few more from yesterday.

008-XL.jpg

015-XL.jpg

023-XL.jpg

033-XL.jpg

038-XL.jpg

044-XL.jpg

047-XL.jpg

052-XL.jpg

055-XL.jpg

I'm very late to this topic. I guess motorcycle maintenance doesn't count as much different from riding....

Last year my wife and I moved from Atlanta to the outskirts of Dahlonega. In late fall, I started to think about ways to keep my mind active, and thought that studying a language other than English would be provide a good mental tuneup. To my surprise, the University of North Georgia (~7500 students, ~800 of them military cadets) has a strong Middle Eastern Studies program, not something you would expect to find in rural north Georgia.

My undergraduate major at Michigan in 1968 was Near Eastern Languages & Literatures (Arabic, Turkish), and I did a year of graduate study at UCLA (adding more Arabic and Ottoman Turkish) before realizing that someone with a PhD in Ottoman History would be nearly unemployable and switching to the library school. I sent off for transcripts and was officially admitted as a student last spring. During the winter/spring term, I sat in on intermediate Arabic, which was a challenge after ~45 years of disuse. I did better than expected.

This fall I'm taking an Introduction to Islam course MWF, which includes one day of readings from the Qur'an (in Arabic) on Fridays. Think about reading the Bible in Aramaic or Greek, and you get some idea of how much work is involved. The other 11 students in the class are taking full course loads, the cadets have their military responsibilities, and some students hold down jobs to put themselves through college. I'm retired, with little else to distract me, so I can afford to devote as much time as I need (which is a lot) to study. Next semester there is talk of a calligraphy course in conjunction with the art department.

One of the things that has changed tremendously since my undergraduate days in the 60's is the worldwide web. I have unimaginable resources at my disposal without ever leaving my house, so I spend a lot of time searching for things. Did you know that Edgar Allan Poe wrote a poem about an angel named Israfel ? Until yesterday, I didn't. In 4 weeks I have already accumulated more reading material than I will be able to digest in a year. The intellectual stimulation has been great, and the other students are gradually accepting in their midst someone who is old enough to be their grandfather.

I should add that, like the instructor, I am totally a-religious, but all my life I have tried to understand why some people have religious feelings — something that is a total mystery to me.

Good for you. You don't shrink from a challenge, that's for sure.

Iv'e tried to understand why some people don't have religious feelings. :)

It's new at Disney, the Rockies experience, pretty realistic.

Thank God the little one quit Disney, or I'd be going back. Although, the Rockies experience does sound like it's right up my alley! ;)

Pat

Man - there's a lot more hills in N. Florida than I remember....

We don't put those roads on the maps.

Any local can help you out.

Shouldn't have any cold weather closing for at least a couple months...

Took a ride over to the East side today, Aspen Ridge, Herring Park (new to me, nice landscape over there, next to last pic), and Ute trail.

001-XL.jpg

010-XL.jpg

a little moto content..

011-XL.jpg

017-XL.jpg

020-XL.jpg

021-XL.jpg

022-XL.jpg

Took a ride over to the East side today, Aspen Ridge, Herring Park (new to me, nice landscape over there, next to last pic), and Ute trail.

001-XL.jpg

Do you drop your air pressure before heading off the beaten path, those tires seem mighty plump,.....looks like your on bunny trails but even still, I'd drop down to 12-15psi. If you drop the pressure, you'll notice a lot less wheel spin as the tires "grab" the obstacles.

When I played off-road, my happy pressure was 8psi and that's without beadlocks.

Do you drop your air pressure before heading off the beaten path, those tires seem mighty plump,.....looks like your on bunny trails but even still, I'd drop down to 12-15psi. If you drop the pressure, you'll notice a lot less wheel spin as the tires "grab" the obstacles.

When I played off-road, my happy pressure was 8psi and that's without beadlocks.

No I don't deflate and prefer my tires plump for the most part : ) For one, I don't really 'play' offroad or care about rock crawling, mudding, or other activities a lot of Jeepers do. It gets used as a fun reliable vehicle to get places I wouldn't or couldn't take hardly anything else. We usually go off for 6-8 hours and travel 100-200 miles for day trips, sometimes half of which is getting to and from the trail on 65 mph highways or 50mph dirt/gravel roads (occaisionally I like to pretend I'm Bjorn Waldegaard or Walter Rohrl on fast flowing dirt roads with a little opposite lock thrown in too..)

It's a four wheel adventure bike or crude, simple sportscar with offroad capability, takes you where you want to go and becomes much more when you get there. Enzo Ferrari once said that America's only sportscar is the Jeep, being a Porsche guy I kind of agree. Actually I don't have a problem with deflating I just don't want to worry about the inflating part afterwards for the 80 mile slog home. I've never aired down on Adv or dualsport bikes either, although my buddies always harped how much easier they are to ride. Just tell 'em I adapt and deal with it which is a nice way of saying they might want to learn to ride a little better : )

When I get back to Florida I may air down some for the sand, doubt it'll help a lot but willing to give it a try. In the Rockies traction isn't that big of a problem like back East unless it's really steep, I can go almost anywhere a 4 wheeler can at crawl speed, the limiting factor sometimes being ground clearance. Seldom get any wheelspin and when it does it's usually quickto hook up. Yes much of it is bunny trails but not all, some are fairly steep and there are the inevitable rocky sections, some long, and then the combination of the two. Also it seems like I'm too occupied to stop and take photos in the tricky parts so they almost never show up.

Google Imogene, Hancock, and Tincup passes on Youtube, it's some of the rockier stuff I've done but not all.

Today we went up Alder Creek south of Poncha Pass, it was fun but some was slow going and worth it (Ask lawnchairboy, Whip, and DHanson what they thought of that one on their dirtbikes : )

A few shots from today..

What I really want is a RZR, they fly over the bumps, combining dirtbike suspension and flat track steering, problem is they're not road legal.

007-XL.jpg

012-XL.jpg

035-XL.jpg

049-XL.jpg

074-XL.jpg

076-XL.jpg

080-XL.jpg

The main thing is that she's happy, and so far so good..

055-XL.jpg

Yes, that's a cow and flying saucer warning. :grin:

054-XL.jpg

Beautiful pics, Bill. :thumbsup:

I looked at one of these yesterday (not serious) while getting an oil change in my truck. Fun looking-Diesel motor-4x4-16K but same issue as a RZR, no plate. :-(

2018-Mahindra-Roxor-Review-45.jpg

Pat

No I don't deflate and prefer my tires plump for the most part : ) For one, I don't really 'play' offroad or care about rock crawling, mudding, or other activities a lot of Jeepers do. It gets used as a fun reliable vehicle to get places I wouldn't or couldn't take hardly anything else. We usually go off for 6-8 hours and travel 100-200 miles for day trips, sometimes half of which is getting to and from the trail on 65 mph highways or 50mph dirt/gravel roads (occaisionally I like to pretend I'm Bjorn Waldegaard or Walter Rohrl on fast flowing dirt roads with a little opposite lock thrown in too..)

It's a four wheel adventure bike or crude, simple sportscar with offroad capability, takes you where you want to go and becomes much more when you get there. Enzo Ferrari once said that America's only sportscar is the Jeep, being a Porsche guy I kind of agree. Actually I don't have a problem with deflating I just don't want to worry about the inflating part afterwards for the 80 mile slog home. I've never aired down on Adv or dualsport bikes either, although my buddies always harped how much easier they are to ride. Just tell 'em I adapt and deal with it which is a nice way of saying they might want to learn to ride a little better : )

When I get back to Florida I may air down some for the sand, doubt it'll help a lot but willing to give it a try. In the Rockies traction isn't that big of a problem like back East unless it's really steep, I can go almost anywhere a 4 wheeler can at crawl speed, the limiting factor sometimes being ground clearance. Seldom get any wheelspin and when it does it's usually quickto hook up. Yes much of it is bunny trails but not all, some are fairly steep and there are the inevitable rocky sections, some long, and then the combination of the two. Also it seems like I'm too occupied to stop and take photos in the tricky parts so they almost never show up.

Google Imogene, Hancock, and Tincup passes on Youtube, it's some of the rockier stuff I've done but not all.

Today we went up Alder Creek south of Poncha Pass, it was fun but some was slow going and worth it (Ask lawnchairboy, Whip, and DHanson what they thought of that one on their dirtbikes : )

Sounds kinda like the person that will wait to put it in 4wd until the vehicle is stuck and then wonder why it's not pulling out ;) BTW, unless it's a rubicon, your jeep is a 2wd (one in the front, one in the back, unless of course you put lockers in)

Talk to any of the real jeepers out west, bet bottom dollar they air down, it's not an east/west thing, it's a grip thing. Moab, Johnson Valley, all those areas where the hard core go keeping plump tires is not an option.

If that's the way you want to do it, so be it. I know at 8 psi, traveling between trail heads, I could maintain 65mph easy enough, along with having the swaybars disconnected too, this on a Jeep that was locked F/R, 37's, 4.56s with wife and kids in the back seat. I drove from Murphy, NC back to Albany, Ga with the swaybars disconnected and running 15psi on a stock Jeep at interstate speeds. Our average time on the trail was 10-12 hours pending no one broke.

Get a viair pump, throw it in the back and air up after the trails.

Glad you are enjoying it, wished I hadn't sold mine but I didn't play with it anymore. It was my daily driver and well modified for the trails.

It was entertaining.... I think whips KTM was down at least 4 times. The mighty DR once. Picking up a downhill laying DR650 at 12000+ without any help (Whip left me to die) about knackered me for 10 minutes.

DSCF0017-L.jpg

DSCF0021-L.jpg

The DR was, of course, uneventfully parked at the top of this little grade while we righted the KTM, again.

Edited by lawnchairboy

Because of guys racing around on RAZR's . I hate them. I was just in Ouray area again and rented a Jeep. Trails are getting rougher. Most of dirt is gone. Folks there blame the little RAZR guys racing around. They tear up stuff lots worse than our bikes. Wife and I came across about a dozen racing down Imogene. Tons of dust and rocks flying. Not for me. With their long travel suspension, they do cover lots of ground rapidly. I was told they ride a lot better then the Jeeps. However, we stayed dry and we saw a lot of folks wearing garbage bags. :rofl:

Jeep needs a little lift. :wave: When you gonna do Imogene and others around Ouray? Need to do Schofield and travel to Crystal Mill. We did all the passes againaround Ouray and Silverton. Tons of rain when we were there. Also found a couple new spots for a good breakfast and lunch in the area.

As to tire pressure, the rentals I have had has the tires running about 32-35 psi. Less flats I guess. I have never had traction problems in the rocky trails running the higher pressures of my rentals.

Because of guys racing around on RAZR's . I hate them. I was just in Ouray area again and rented a Jeep. Trails are getting rougher. Most of dirt is gone. Folks there blame the little RAZR guys racing around. They tear up stuff lots worse than our bikes. Wife and I came across about a dozen racing down Imogene. Tons of dust and rocks flying. Not for me. With their long travel suspension, they do cover lots of ground rapidly. I was told they ride a lot better then the Jeeps. However, we stayed dry and we saw a lot of folks wearing garbage bags. :rofl:

Jeep needs a little lift. :wave: When you gonna do Imogene and others around Ouray? Need to do Schofield and travel to Crystal Mill. We did all the passes againaround Ouray and Silverton. Tons of rain when we were there. Also found a couple new spots for a good breakfast and lunch in the area.

As to tire pressure, the rentals I have had has the tires running about 32-35 psi. Less flats I guess. I have never had traction problems in the rocky trails running the higher pressures of my rentals.

People that haven't driven Jeeps in the high Rockies evidently don't understand that traction isn't much of a problem, it ain't Moab which is completely different. I'm buddies with the Jeep rental guy here, he's got a fleet of 25 or so of every Wrangler combination imaginable including some seriously tricked out stuff. He knows more about Jeeps and what you need to get where than any ten people I know, including LTD.

I run about 32 also and it takes me wherever I want to go and gets me home with no hassle. As far as assuming I'm the guy that puts it in 4wd after he's stuck would be a mistake, I've had a couple previous Jeep life's not to mention a slew of 4wd trucks and know how to drive off road in sand, mud, snow, and now rocks.

I think I'm done with the popular trails around here and Ouray for reasons you mentioned, they're getting ripped to shreds by the RzR crowd and are visibly worse every year.. the old adage sort of applies though, if you can't beat em, join 'em : )

Last year I was at Micky D's here and BigDog from ADV stopped by on his way to ID. He said he wouldn't go back to CO again. For reasons stated above. Claims he could go a whole day in ID w/o seeing another rider.

I looked at one of these yesterday (not serious) while getting an oil change in my truck. Fun looking-Diesel motor-4x4-16K but same issue as a RZR, no plate. :-(

2018-Mahindra-Roxor-Review-45.jpg

Pat

I had never heard of those so checked around a little and found this. Besides, probably not fast enough for me and likely you either. :grin:

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/jeeps-wants-block-sales-mahindras-jeep-report-says

Last year I was at Micky D's here and BigDog from ADV stopped by on his way to ID. He said he wouldn't go back to CO again. For reasons stated above. Claims he could go a whole day in ID w/o seeing another rider.

I don't blame him, although things calm down considerably in September. Plus there's still a plethora of places/trails that are largely undiscovered by the masses, it's just the scenery may be a little less majestic than the famous spots, but I'll take that anyday. A couple more from yesterday, and right up behind the campground, only took me 8 or 9 years to go up the only road I hadn't and find it.

179-XL.jpg

If you look closely you can see the same mountains in the previous days shots, only 30 miles farther away..

173-XL.jpg

186-XL.jpg

192-XL.jpg

196-XL.jpg

Edited by roadscholar

Yeah I asked about the cruise speed and the sales guy didn't know or didn't want to tell me. (45MPH :facepalm:) If you could figure a way to plate it, you'd grow a beard traveling from Salida to Ouray. :grin:

Pat

Glad you are enjoying it, wished I hadn't sold mine but I didn't play with it anymore. It was my daily driver and well modified for the trails.

C'mon admit it, you know you want a stock Wrangler with 35lbs in the tires to cruise around the countryside : )

072-XL.jpg

Pat

Guy at work has a Mitsubishi Jeep, he brought it back from Okinawa, Japan and plated it. Jeep licensed the CJ3B to Mitsubishi to allow them to build. It's a diesel. I saw them while I was stationed there but they are the ugliest Jeep that was ever made. The high hood on the 3B was for the taller engine that was installed,.....just plain ugly,.......but still a flat fender :drool:

img_50_5_a.jpg

Out in Ouray Co. :thumbsup:

Pat

Ya, that's a real Willys,.....if you look closely on the one I posted, you can see the Mitsubishi diamonds on the grill.

C'mon admit it, you know you want a stock Wrangler with 35lbs in the tires to cruise around the countryside : )

Nah, stock would never work......I'd have to hit the rocks. Here's a nicely built police seizure up for auction. The differentials alone are worth the current bidding price.

Back seat seems an odd place for a drive shaft... Wonder what "drivable" really means.

244_478_17.jpg

I'd guess that that'd be a spare. I had my spare axle shafts strapped to the cage. I've seen other's with a spare drive shaft, fuel pumps, hubs, etc. Amongst a good group, you could damn near rebuild a driveline. One one trip, I blew my front locker (long shaft and u-joint too), went to my spares and pulled the spider gears to at least wheel in three wheel drive but was missing one thrust washer to get it back on the trails (axle shaft and u-joint I had).

Additionally, if you read through the list of equipment and look at the pictures, you can clearly tell that this rig was purposely built for hardcore rock trails and not bunny trails. Spares are expected as breakage is highly likely.

It's starting to sound familiar, a lot like endurance racing. The whoosh of large sums of money vanishing into thin air.

When I built my fifth Jeep, I was on the phone with supply houses for 15-30 minutes and dropped $7-8k on parts. Lift kit, gears, lockers, hub conversion, winch, winch mount, SYE, engine lift, tires, blah, blah, blah,......nothing done for looks as for me it's function over form. You get all the bits and pieces in the mail from the brown truck guy and it's kid in a candy store, first remembered Christmas, best birthday party.......until the work starts to put it all together. I did everything at once vice piecemealing it. Ah the joy of riding two-five miles in eight to ten hours :)

It's starting to sound familiar, a lot like endurance racing. The whoosh of large sums of money vanishing into thin air.

Better than boating where the money continues to go in a hole in the water. :grin:

Bill,

Ever do the co$t per hour to do that...

:P

:wave:

Asked my buddy when he came back from pheasant hunting in the Dakotas how much it cost per pound of meat! :grin:

All you can think about is the amount of smiles per mile regardless if it is a bike, jeep, boat or any other big boy toy. :clap:

Supporting a twin engine airplane can cost a bit as well. Glad IBM paid most of it. :

Edited by Marty Hill
Bill,

Asked my buddy when he came back from pheasant hunting in the Dakotas how much it cost per pound of meat! :grin:

All you can think about is the amount of smiles per mile regardless if it is a bike, jeep, boat or any other big boy toy. :clap:

Yep, it's the trophies, plaques, crystal, and silver that cost a lot, the memories are priceless.

I can probably elaborate on Tim's question a little more when I get home in a day or so.

Bill,

Having given it more thought still don't know, too many variables.

On another note, the trip home was w/o incident. 1800 miles, sixteen tires, no flats, a new record. :grin:

006-XL.jpg

This is where BD rides,out and away from civilization as far as possible

IMG_3098-X2.jpg

..and for him this is a crowd...LOL

A huge amount of riding history in this group,from the left Dingweeds,owner of the Three Step Hideway in Ut,Bob,Big Dog and High Five

I also have had enough of Colorado with all the traffic,of course if I had Bill as a guide I'm sure it might be different...

IMG_2563-X2.jpg

The irony is I learned a good bit of that stuff from reading big-t's ride reports : )

Speaking of flat fenders a few pages back, we ran across a herd of em on the way to Leadville one day, photos by Molly.

030-XL.jpg

035-XL.jpg

042-XL.jpg

043-XL.jpg

052-XL.jpg

057-XL.jpg

062-XL.jpg

078-XL.jpg

085-XL.jpg

113-XL.jpg

Love to have an old Willys like one of those. Here's the Willys I had for a short time (ok the sticker anyways :grin:) before bailing back to a pickup truck. Sometimes I think I should have hung in a little longer, I may have figured it out. :dontknow:

image_zpsfvzjgfhy.jpg

Pat

Nice Pat, that would've been fun. My first car was a Willys, a '49 Overland a guy cut the body off and made into a dune buggy, flat head four, 3 speed, and a whopping hundred bucks. It was not pretty : )