IGNORED

It's that time of year again to start watching eagles nesting.

We have a great live nest cam here in PA that we watch every spring. My kids love me to put it up on the computer screen in the evenings when I'm cooking dinner. We have seen some really cool stuff over the past few years. They have 2 eggs in the nest this year

LINK 1

LINK 2

roadscholar

I live one house off a big river and have a yard full of mature Pines. I used to park my older Mercedes SUV in a slot next to one of the larger ones (4-5' diameter trunk). One Fall day I noticed more than the usual amount of tree stuff on it, there were 2 and 3 inch diameter pieces of branch on the hood and roof and the passenger mirror glass had a crack in it (good thing MB's are made of thick metal : ) I'm thinking WTH did that and looked up to see a huge Bald Eagle's nest near the top (guessing 80-90 feet up). They stayed for 7 or 8 years, came back every Fall and stayed thru Spring, usually throwing the little ones out around the first windy day of March. It was cool watching them learn to fly as well as the airshow the parents put on. If you've never been up close to one they are really big, I accidentally came very near one on the bike once.

They are definitely pretty awesome. Growing up in and around the Susquehanna river valley here in PA, I've been lucky to have been around them my whole life. It was routine for us to see them hunting the river when we were fishing for small mouth bass back in high school. There are actually quite a bit more of them around now then there was back then. My kids get super excited every time they see one when we drive across one of the bridges.

We have a couple that fly up and down the river outside my office.

One of my favorite memories was the time I was walking the dog around our local lake. There was a big flock of ducks hanging out by the boat launch, when all of sudden they took off as a group. About 2 seconds later, an adult bald eagle came swooping over the water where the ducks had been. This was 20-30 feet away, and I could see every detail of the eagle easily. The dog thought it was pretty cool, too.

I've been watching one down in florida. My Daughter just showed me one about 50 miles north of me in Dahlonga, Ga.