IGNORED

Seal Skin Fork Covers R1200R, year 2011.

Roger C

Anyone have these covers on their forks? How are they holding up? Are the worth the $100+ investment? How dark is the gray outer layers and has they faded since initial installation? Are there fork covers still available for my year model?

I was in contact with Revzilla today and was advised they do not have gaiters nor skin covers to fit the long forks of the 2011 R1200R.

If the pictorial of the Kriega covers are to scale, they would be too short for my forks. I can send you a measurement of my forks tomorrow or Sat. for comparison to yours. According to the BMW repair manual, design changes were made in 2010-2012 models, which may have included fork dimensions. The Revzilla rep said his R1200C forks were 39mm diameter and he assumed my R1200R would be the same--begging the question would the 2 sizes offered by moose racing be too small or too large for my tube. I may be overthinking this project but I want my cycle to look "right" for my taste.

Edited by Roger C

These show fitment for the R1150GS. Will they also fit the 2011 R1200R forks? Do you know the length of the covers?Thanks. I'm having to look at Chinese gaiters now.

Edited by Roger C

I happen to have a black pair of NOJ fork guards as they call them, they are 4.5" long and about 2.25" inside diameter. I purchased them for my GL1100, but the design of these forks don't allow the use of the fork guards.

I was in Cycle Gear today with a friend and asked the sales guy if they stocked fork gaiters. He said they could be ordered and he had a catalog listing for a pair of gaiters measuring 50-55 mm diameter on top and 50-55 mm on bottom end with 170 mm relaxed length. Perfect fit for my 2011 R1200R at $24.95 plus tax so I ordered them. I'll probbably have to trim a slot on the sides to allow for the reflectors but the diameters will work on my forks. I think they are the slit type gaiters but if not, they will be. Lucky find for me. Sorry,, part number not readily available.

The gaiters Cycle Gear sent originally were too short. In their place K & S # 16-3008 fits nicely and extend from the top flute of the lower fork section to the reflector on the side of the fork at the bottom. Another number found on the packaging is 0406-0068 16-3008. I did have to cut the gaiters in half and use plastic straps to hold in place, rather than disassembling the forks themselves.

These gaiters were made for early model Triumphs but they will fit the BMW R1200R forks nicely.