IGNORED

Out with the old -- in with the just as old! Trading my Vstrom for R1150RT

rhetoric

Just bought an '04 R1150RT with 18K. Bike was from an estate and the owner rode it to Alaska, but not much after that (by my math).

Looking to do some big trips (maybe a 4 corner trip) and while I love my vstrom 650, it doesn't have much protection from the weather and while it has plenty of power, it wouldn't want any less. The fjr, concours, and ST were all in the running, but the BMW has the upright riding position I like of the Strom.

Pros:

-Hard to know, since I haven't really ridden it yet, but... upright riding position.

-Really good looking and appropriate snob factor. :-)

-Gas mileage (though the strom wasn't bad)

-Seat comfort.

-A bit of garage rash, but it's never been down.

-weather protection... heated grips!

My concerns:

- It's a pig, compared to my vstrom. My strom replaced a 1000cc Concours, which I loved, but ditched because it was so heavy. I feel like I've taken a step back in that regard -- but it's a trade-off, I suppose. Heavy bikes are just waiting to tip over and break foot pegs.

-the controls are annoying (blinkers, etc.) and the way the kickstand comes up near the shift lever? That's bizarre!

-Not sure how much it was ridden. Family member said 800-1000 a year for the last few years. Will be changing all the fluids and plugs and filters before I go too far, but I hope

-I know reading the forums makes you paranoid, but the Suzuki is stunningly reliable and while 90% of you seem very happy, there are some disgruntled BMW owners.

-I would have liked cruise control.

Anyway, I've already been mooching all the great advice here and on youtube so I am looking forward to some basic wrenching (fluids, plugs, filters, charcoal canister delete, etc.) but, quite frankly, I haven't even looked at the bike long enough to see what it needs by way of care and farkles.

(Will post photos when I figure out how!

Welcome to the club Rhetoric. I too have followed the long path away from Japanese bikes and finally have a 2003 R1150RTP. It is totally different than anything else that I have ridden. It is a great long distance tourer so I'm sure you will enjoy your planned trips. Just check the oil level daily until you figure out how much she uses and rev her up when you need to feel the HP.

Alfred

Welcome to both of you! rhetoric you will enjoy the RT. It is a real mile eater and is lots of fun in the twisty stuff. Let us know what part of the country you live in, there may be someone nearby to assist you with learning the ins and outs of the RT.

szurszewski

Consider replacing the brake lines if they haven't been already - for a couple of hundred you get a stainless steel set that will last as long as your ownership; the original rubber set on yours is getting quite old, and in addition to possibly failing catastrophically they tend to fail internally and send bits of rubber around the system possibly gumming up the ABS and calipers. It's not a hard job and get you in and familiar with removing/replacing the body panels, which is not a hard job but can be intimidating before you try it.

Welcome to BMWST.

For sure the V Storm and the RT are different beasts and for significantly different purposes. Both bikes have virtues of their own and just like automobiles, there are some Japanese and German design influences that make them a different experience even if they were both focused on the same end use. For sure replace the brake lines as sooner or later the OEM rubber ones fail. it happened on my '99 RT @ 16 years old. You will find the RT provides best in class wind protection and engine heat management that everyone else seems to be a step or two behind. Dial the RT up to cruise between 60 -80 MPH and it will chomp the miles down like a land yacht class tourer but allow you to blast through the twisties like no big touring bike can do.

Have fun and come back often as there is a bunch of folks that can help you get your RT set up just the way you like it.

My concerns:

- It's a pig, compared to my vstrom. My strom replaced a 1000cc Concours, which I loved, but ditched because it was so heavy. I feel like I've taken a step back in that regard -- but it's a trade-off, I suppose. Heavy bikes are just waiting to tip over and break foot pegs.

Let's tackle this one first. This bike comes alive when ridden hard. It doesn't have huge amounts of ground clearance, but it does have very compliant suspension control which means you can carry high corner speed. It also means you can be braking late without upsetting the geometry, which means you can fire yourself out of the other side of a bend without waiting for the bike to settle again. It certainly was no step back for me.

-the controls are annoying (blinkers, etc.) and the way the kickstand comes up near the shift lever? That's bizarre!

The controls are some of the best I have ever used. I still miss those left for left and right for right indicators on my 1200RT. I also think the dip switch location is one of the best too.

-Not sure how much it was ridden. Family member said 800-1000 a year for the last few years. Will be changing all the fluids and plugs and filters before I go too far, but I hope

Sure is a wise precaution as the brake fluid will have absorbed water. A good time to replace and upgrade to braided stainless steel brake hoses.

-I know reading the forums makes you paranoid, but the Suzuki is stunningly reliable and while 90% of you seem very happy, there are some disgruntled BMW owners.

I'd say way more than 90% of us are happy. I have had issues with my bikes, but they are so stunningly good at what they were designed to do, that I kind of overlook the times it has had issues.

Yes I know what you mean. I designed and manufactured a nifty throttle lock and once that was on the bike, I never missed cruise control. However my 1200 does have it and I use it a lot.

Yes I know what you mean. I designed and manufactured a nifty throttle lock and once that was on the bike, I never missed cruise control. However my 1200 does have it and I use it a lot.

A lot of folks in the US went with a throttle lock. A nicely made one was from these folks. There are others who have made similar units that work in a similar fashion. I went with Trottlemeister on my R1100RT sand liked that it was designed to match stock shape and weight. They made a heavier version as well.

https://throttlemeister.com

If memory serves there was someone offering an add-on cruise control, but looked like some work to get it installed and was a bit pricey.

Welcome.

Pros:

-Hard to know, since I haven't really ridden it yet, but... upright riding position.

Do a search here for MYRP. Master Yoda Ridng Position. The "sit up and beg" positionhas pros and cons.

Snob factor very rare in my limited experiences. However, the ability to be self deprecating and appreciate whale foreskin riding gear is. ATGATT

-Seat comfort.

Perhaps it would be better to tell us what type of oil we should use? :grin:

My concerns:

Get thee to a Police Rodeo competition. Just be sure they have beemers participating. A real eye opener as to what these bikes can do when ridden properly.

Service is dictated by both time and distance

Anyway, I've already been mooching all the great advice here and on youtube so I am looking forward to some basic wrenching (fluids, plugs, filters, charcoal canister delete, etc.) but, quite frankly, I haven't even looked at the bike long enough to see what it needs by way of care and farkles.

BMW's aren't for everyone. But, your model is well known for the positive aspects, and any shortcomings can be addressed.

Oh, and do not short shift it.

Best wishes.

Edited by tallman
Just bought an '04 R1150RT with 18K. Bike was from an estate and the owner rode it to Alaska, but not much after that (by my math).

Looking to do some big trips (maybe a 4 corner trip) and while I love my vstrom 650, it doesn't have much protection from the weather and while it has plenty of power, it wouldn't want any less. The fjr, concours, and ST were all in the running, but the BMW has the upright riding position I like of the Strom.

Pros:

-Seat comfort.

My concerns:

(Will post photos when I figure out how!

Congratulations. The weight is a concern UNTIL you let out the clutch. With all that low center mass, it honestly feels like it's 100 lbs. lighter, at speed. The RT, is just a great all around bike. I rode my '04 to breakfast yesterday amid the 25F temp's. No issue. Just crank up the windshield, dial in the heated vest and grips. If I had to, I could have ridden to Missouri.

RPG

Good news...

--I didn't know to look at the brake lines when I bought but I just went out and checked and it already has stainless steel braided (and plastic coated)!

--I changed the engine oil and it was clean! I changed it because I don't know how old it is, but at least it hasn't been sitting w/ black used up oil. (My filter wrench has a hard time fitting in the recess [it's a thick, pot metal kind of thing from harbor freight], so I know I got it on tight, but it was hard to tell if it's torqued properly.)

--Gassed it up w/ ethanol free gas and ran it to temperature for a 5 mile buzz... and it seems like a keeper.

--The pig that I'm worried about isn't the pig riding it -- it's moving it around in my garage and poking around in parking lots. That said, it pushes around alot nicer when the tires are aired up properly (the rear was 15 and the front was 10!). Zoiks.

(Previous owner died unexpectedly and so I was only able to talk with his son. Clearly they are a motorcycling family (multiple beemers, etc.), but the initial signs are that the bike was well cared for.)

Bad news...

--The roads in western NY are still covered with salt and I refuse to ride until Mother Nature cleans up w/ a good rain.

--I'm still trying to figure out how to reduce my photo size so I can post, though if you care and you're hip like me, I have several posted on Instagram -- my "handle" is "torchier."

Paul

Edited by rhetoric

Welcome. Sounds like your bike has already had some love from the previous owner.

Good aftermarket shocks make the bike 1000% better.

You already have been given a lot of great advice. Folks here know what they are talking about and are happy to share the knowledge and the love of Beemers.

Hi paul, I will throw in my $.02 as I went from a 94 Connie to an 03 RT

The RT is much better balanced as the weight is lower, you just need some time on the bike. Dropping the bike will not break the foot peg . Unfortunately I have dropped my RT in the garage, but just a few scratches The Connie used cheap pot metal and is why the peg broke; a common issue with the Connie. Getting the RT on the center stand is a breeze using the handle .

Weight wise it is hard to compare the Wee to the RT. I looked at FJR and ST1300 at a BMW dealer with no intention of buying the RT. The FJR, ST1300 and 86-06 Concours are all top heavy bikesThe 03 had just been traded in and I knew nothing about BMW bikes. They let me take a test ride and I was sold, agreed on a price and they delivered it. That was almost 9 years ago.

If you ever adjusted the valves on the Conine, you will appreciate the ease of checking valves on the boxer engine.

If you are short like me, 5'5" with my boots the RT feels lower and lighter.

Last thing I would ask you to check is the date code on those tires, may want to consider replacing if more than 5 years old.

I am also waiting for the warm weather to arrive .

Enjoy the bike

+1 on the tire age.

Once you get out and comfortable riding your RT, you'll find all kind of reasons to bend the horizon in the twisties soon enough. Don't want to hear of a get off because of overage hard rubber.

Just bought an '04 R1150RT with 18K.

I owned a series of DL1000's before switching to an '04 R1150RT. Both bikes have good features. The BMW brakes are vastly better than the Vstrom. The suspension is better on the BMW too. Well, at least, when you get some good shocks, it will feel much better. I got a Sargent seat and some handlebar spacers on my RT, and now it feels very comfortable for me -- like the Vstrom with much better wind protection. The boxer engine is an acquired taste. I like being able to adjust my valves on the RT by pulling up a stool to the cylinder head, and using an allen and a box-end. On the other hand, my Vstroms were a pain to set the shims, but once set, they never needed adjustment again. On the Vstrom, balancing the TBs required some black magic, but it is dirt simple on the RT. Plus and minus.

Put some Ohlins on your RT if you don't already have them, and then ride it for a few thousand miles. I think you will come to appreciate it.

I don't think there's anything I could add that others here have't already said multiple times. I bought mine new in '02 and it's seen many bikes enter and then leave the garage but my RT has been the mainstay of my riding stable. There's a reason for that; it's an incredible mile eater and the wind protection is unlike any other bike of similar ilk. The '04 was the epitome of the 1150RT model line before giving way to the newly designed 1200RT line. That means your bike is one sweet ride and I hope you're grinning from ear to ear once the roads up your way are rideable!

Thanks all for the advice and welcome. I've been getting alot done in the mean time (final drive, gear box, oil, upper and lower plugs, and the alternator belt). I also put fresh gas in it. I"m not sure if it's the plugs or the gas, but whereas it took forever to start when I first bought it, it fires right up now and I don't even have to "choke" it.

I don't think there's anything I could add that others here have't already said multiple times. I bought mine new in '02 and it's seen many bikes enter and then leave the garage but my RT has been the mainstay of my riding stable. There's a reason for that; it's an incredible mile eater and the wind protection is unlike any other bike of similar ilk. The '04 was the epitome of the 1150RT model line before giving way to the newly designed 1200RT line. That means your bike is one sweet ride and I hope you're grinning from ear to ear once the roads up your way are rideable!

That's why I bought it! Mile munching w/ wind protection!

Just bought an '04 R1150RT with 18K.

I owned a series of DL1000's before switching to an '04 R1150RT. Both bikes have good features. The BMW brakes are vastly better than the Vstrom. The suspension is better on the BMW too. Well, at least, when you get some good shocks, it will feel much better. I got a Sargent seat and some handlebar spacers on my RT, and now it feels very comfortable for me -- like the Vstrom with much better wind protection. The boxer engine is an acquired taste. I like being able to adjust my valves on the RT by pulling up a stool to the cylinder head, and using an allen and a box-end. On the other hand, my Vstroms were a pain to set the shims, but once set, they never needed adjustment again. On the Vstrom, balancing the TBs required some black magic, but it is dirt simple on the RT. Plus and minus.

Put some Ohlins on your RT if you don't already have them, and then ride it for a few thousand miles. I think you will come to appreciate it.

Some things make lots of sense (the valves -- hope to check them and the chain tensioner soon), others will take some getting used to. I had to remove the faring to replace the lower spark plugs because of the placement of one stinking bolt! It's supposed to rain the next couple days. With any luck, it will be hard enough to was the salt off the roads and I'll put it through it's paces. It as a Cee Bailey aftermarket screen (a bit wider) and I've never had heated grips before. :-) :-) :-)

Hi paul, I will throw in my $.02 as I went from a 94 Connie to an 03 RT

If you are short like me, 5'5" with my boots the RT feels lower and lighter.

Last thing I would ask you to check is the date code on those tires, may want to consider replacing if more than 5 years old.

I am also waiting for the warm weather to arrive .

Enjoy the bike

6'2, so no problem flat footing it. I loved the height of the vstrom. The reason I nixed the FJR and the ST and the new Connie is how cramped I felt on them. I like an upright riding position -- not cruiser, not sport. So far, I'm optimistic about the RT.

Never knew there was a date code! The front tire is 2004 original (?!) and while there's plenty of tread, it's cupped and cracked. The rear is much newer (6-7 years and garage kept). So I'll replace the front for now and keep an eye on the rear. Both Metzlers.

Thanks again!

Rhetoric : Replace both tires. Tires are cheaper than a hospital visit. Using a 7-year old rear tire (like the front, the rear tire will also have a date code), whether it's been garaged or not, is false economy. You will probably be surprised at how much more nimble your R1150RT will be with fresh tires.

Glad to hear that it already has SS brake lines — 14-year old rubber lines are a disaster waiting to happen.

Out of curiosity, why did you not move up to a V-Strom 1000? It shouldn't be too big for you, and weighs ~100 pounds less than an R1150RT.

Oh wait — your location information says "Western NY". Heated grips and full bodywork are really nice...

Rhetoric : Replace both tires. Tires are cheaper than a hospital visit. Using a 7-year old rear tire (like the front, the rear tire will also have a date code), whether it's been garaged or not, is false economy. You will probably be surprised at how much more nimble your R1150RT will be with fresh tires.

Glad to hear that it already has SS brake lines — 14-year old rubber lines are a disaster waiting to happen.

Out of curiosity, why did you not move up to a V-Strom 1000? It shouldn't be too big for you, and weighs ~100 pounds less than an R1150RT.

Oh wait — your location information says "Western NY". Heated grips and full bodywork are really nice...

I prefer the 650 to the 1000 strom, but neither has good weather protection.

The tires? Riding a motorcycle is a disaster waiting to happen. But thanks for the concern!

Hey, Rhetoric,

"The tires? Riding a motorcycle is a disaster waiting to happen. But thanks for the concern!"

Maybe, but you want to stick around and enjoy it as long as possible!! Go ahead and drop a bill for a new front tire, at least. It's usually best to have the front end up and going where you point it. You're ahead dollarwise dropping a bill instead of the bike, too.

I bought a '99 R11RT about a year ago, a "garage queen" with only 40K. After driving it for a while and getting the engine running really well, I was using it as a "commuter" bike to my brother's house in N GA where I keep my '99 R11S. But, I just couldn't get used to the crappy handling, didn't want to put $1K in shocks and decided to sell it. The old front tire was down to the wear bars so I found a great deal on a Dunlop Sportmax and mounted it. A few days later I drove it about 10 miles to show it to a guy and couldn't believe it was the same bike, the front tire made that much difference. Fortunately, he decided not to take it and I still have it.

Well, maybe inspect the tyre for any perishing. Then maybe a couple of heat cycles through it. If the tyre has been exposed to UV for that time...or had constant weight in just one point (particularly if it were under inflated. But certainly agree with 'due diligence'.

Replace both tires.

Replace both tires.

Sold bikes and tires, etc for a long time.

False economy is correct.

Don't short shift, wear good shoes, service on mile/time schedules, enjoy.

The routine maintenance is doable, and can be fun.

While the tire age and safe performance for traction is the big concern I have to agree the impact of tire profile pointed out by Lowndes. Never judge the handling of a Telelever bike from that vintage with a tire that it more than 50% used up. Especially the last 25% of tread life seems to get extra heavy and lethargic feeling compared to other bikes with standard fork suspension I have driven.

I prefer the 650 to the 1000 strom, but neither has good weather protection.

The tires? Riding a motorcycle is a disaster waiting to happen, he said rhetorically . But thanks for the concern!

Fixed it for you! :wave::grin:

This is a strange group of riders. They tend to take safety seriously. Therefore they spend a lots of money on personal protection with quality gear that will allow them to get up after an incident to ride another day: Helmets, riding suits, heavy duty boots, gloves etc.

The other half of that is equipment: Good tires are high on the list as that is, as the Goodyear ads used to say, "Where the rubber meets the road".

No one is trying to give you a hard time, just passing on some of our hard earned experience.

BTW When I first joined here, someone suggested I should budget money for gear when thinking how much I could spend on a bike. At the time, I thought they were nuts! Didn't take long to see the wisdom in that advice.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the new ride. Glad to have you here.

No one is trying to give you a hard time, just passing on some of our hard earned experience.

I have a patch of skin on the underside of my forearm that doesn't tan well from running new (unused) but hugely overage tires...does that qualify as hard earned?

The tires? Riding a motorcycle is a disaster waiting to happen, he said rhetorically . But thanks for the concern!

Fixed it for you! :wave::grin:

This is a strange group of riders. They tend to take safety seriously. Therefore they spend a lots of money on personal protection with quality gear that will allow them to get up after an incident to ride another day: Helmets, riding suits, heavy duty boots, gloves etc.

The other half of that is equipment: Good tires are high on the list as that is, as the Goodyear ads used to say, "Where the rubber meets the road".

BTW When I first joined here, someone suggested I should budget money for gear when thinking how much I could spend on a bike. At the time, I thought they were nuts! Didn't take long to see the wisdom in that advice.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the new ride. Glad to have you here.

Well, at least SOMEBODY understood the rhetorical significance and irony of my reply! Thanks, Bud (originally from Illinois -- the top part). I'd make some light-hearted comments about the nanny culture of sport touring bikers ("What? Motorcycling is dangerous?! Oh dear, tell me what to do!"), but it just makes people mad.

My point is that there is no end to the tyranny of safety. If safety were our only priority, we wouldn't ride bikes -- we wouldn't drive cars -- we'd just stay home and watch TV like everyone else.

I'm not new to bikes -- I'm only new to BMW. I'm a 54 year old man who has been riding for decades and I, like all of us, make calculated decisions about risk. How many of you wear modular helmets? You know they're not as safe as regular full-face, right? How many of you ride over the speed limit? You know that's not as safe as observing the limits, right? How many of you... anyway, you get my point. Yes, I wear helmets (full-face modular), riding gear, steel toed boots, and the whole 9 yards. Yes, I repair my own motorcycle and have done so for years and yes I will replace the front tire, but only the front. I don't want to enter into a full-blown argument with anyone about the efficacy of expiration dates on tires, but I'm convinced (emphasis on the "I'm convinced') that the back tire doesn't need to be replaced. (If you read the fine print on tire expiration dates, some say, "Replace in 6 years," while many say, "After 6 years, make sure the tire is carefully inspected annually and replace after 10 years.") So I know you are all concerned, and I appreciate that! Really! I appreciate the welcome and the advice, both safety and technical.

p.s. I wear a helmet, but I hate helmet laws, if that explains anything. The cool thing about freedom is it allows people to make different kinds of decisions!

I have a patch of skin on the underside of my forearm that doesn't tan well from running new (unused) but hugely overage tires...does that qualify as hard earned?

:thumbsup:

You are going to do well here. :clap:

Looks like you may be one of the smarter Illinoisans who got out? :rofl:

Can't help my self...must not say this...oh hell. You mean there are smart flatlanders?

Sincerely

Mr Cheesehead :grin:

Totally get your point Rhetoric. Calculated risk is what we all do. A friend at work spent a lunch hour doing a back of the napkin calculation of the fatality risk of riding a motorcycle. We basically concluded on a per thousand vehicle mile basis it is close to the same risk as giving a 16 year old boy the keys to sports car with 300+ HP.

And being from a helmet choice state I have had a few spats with the AGAT folks live and on line about taking a ride sans helmet from time to time. And being from MKE, a few spats with the most safety minded for having a beer with my lunch while riding. YUP, there I said it. A BMW rider without a helmet on 100% of the time and enjoying gods golden nectar with his lunch once in a while.

Can't help my self...must not say this...oh hell. You mean there are smart flatlanders?

Sincerely

Mr Cheesehead :grin:

Even worse, I'm a Cheesehead by birth and an Illini by choice. :dopeslap::wave:

MKE Is that short for the Beer that made Mel Famee walk us?

Edited by Bud

Again, welcome.

Not "nanny state" mentality.

So, just when does a tire become "unsafe"?

When manufactured? Because it is going on a vehicle that is dangerous to operate?

When past wear bars?

When it is old?

6 year is old

10 years replace?

This one is from '06 and a whole lot has changed.

So, sure, ride 'em.

Your bike, enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

rhetoric- Welcome to the group! Are you in the Buffalo area (western NY)? I'm in Skaneateles, outside of Syracuse, eastern end of the Finger Lakes.

If you are available, you would have a GREAT time Labor Day weekend at the Finger Lakes Rally in Watkins Glen. Usually around 600 BMW riders attend and travel from as far as the west coast, Florida and all over the east coast. A lot of folks from Ontario too. My club (Finger Lakes BMW Club out of Rochester) puts on the rally. Food, bands, flea market (we sell your stuff and take a small cut) and LOTS fo BMW talk. Love to have you as our rally guest! I work the flea market tent most of the weekend, stop by if you like. Dave

ps- I'm on a 96 R1100RT wit 117k on the clock and counting. Love it love it love it! D

Edited by Dave P
rhetoric- Welcome to the group! Are you in the Buffalo area (western NY)? I'm in Skaneateles, outside of Syracuse, eastern end of the Finger Lakes.

If you are available, you would have a GREAT time Labor Day weekend at the Finger Lakes Rally in Watkins Glen. Usually around 600 BMW riders attend and travel from as far as the west coast, Florida and all over the east coast. A lot of folks from Ontario too. My club (Finger Lakes BMW Club out of Rochester) puts on the rally. Food, bands, flea market (we sell your stuff and take a small cut) and LOTS fo BMW talk. Love to have you as our rally guest! I work the flea market tent most of the weekend, stop by if you like. Dave

ps- I'm on a 96 R1100RT wit 117k on the clock and counting. Love it love it love it! D

Indeed, I'm in Rochester. I looked up the Finger Lakes Group. What's more active, the FB page or the website? I'll put the rally on my calendar!

R- well I'm not a Facebooker, so I can't weigh in on that. We have a monthly meeting in Canandaigua on Saturday mornings. Have to get back to you on the next one. Dave

Rhetoric- April 14 is their next Finger Lakes club meeting, 9:30 at the Acropolis Restaurant in Canadiguia. I plan to be at the May meeting but won't be at the April meeting. Dave