IGNORED

Heated gear

joeb

Hi all. Temps in Midwest now consistently soaring to above freezing, so that means can now start planning longer rides than the short hops I've been doing all winter long.

I've been using a 30yr old widder heated vest that worked well till it finally screamed for me to retire it. Think the last straw was when after multiple rewires, I used some polypropylene roofing fabric and gorilla glue to remount the electric plug to the fabric. I can understand it rebelling to my mistreatment, but I have to say, I think it was a little mean to always wait till I was 100 miles or more from home before deciding to play dead.

Bought a Hotwired electric jacket. Was skeptical as it was half the bulk of my vest, more like a thin wind breaker, but it really works. Love it. One drawback is the short wire that goes from the controller to the vest. After using it for a while I don't mind it so much. Down side is every time you get off the Bike and disconnect it, it turns off and stays off till you dig it out of your clothing to turn it back on. The old widder would stay at what ever it was set at. But, as I said real happy with the warm sleeves and collar. Packs up small too. Hope this is helpful to someone who can't seem to be content sitting by a warm fire while the sun is shinning.

Long time ago I also had a Widder vest. It worked super. But my arms were always cold, so a heated jacket liner became my next purchase. Been riding with one ever since (about 18 years).

Recently,

[/color]came on the market, and it looks very promising. Apart from probably having to wash it more often because your body comes in direct contact with it all day long (body oils, skin flakes, perspiration, etc.), I think it bodes well as a solution for cold-weather riding. Certainly the reviewer (Moshe Levy, a respected longtime member here at BMWST) really liked it. A lot!

I purchased a Gerbing's LT jacket ,Gerbing's G3 gloves and the Gerbing's dual thermostat six years ago and am satisfied with it , and recommend it to other riders.

Use the Warm & Safe jacket and gloves and the dual remote controller clipped to my tank bag for dialing in my comfort level. Prefer a good technical long sleeve shirt underneath the jacket with my BMW Rally jacket as well. Year before last friend and I rode to Alaska in June (snowing on the Icefields Parkway) and was always toasty. Very satisfied customer here.

lawnchairboy

Gerbings pants, socks, G3 gloves, and jacket liner all in service with the dual temptroller this last Friday with temps in the high 20's and low 30's for a couple of hundred miles. I've had all that stuff since 2007. The jacket liner gets probably 30-40 uses a year, the rest of the stuff less often. Money well spent as far as I am concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Warm n Safe jacket and glove liners with a wireless heat-troller for several years and loved it from the moment its toasty, all-encompassing warmth first hit me.

Long time ago I also had a Widder vest. It worked super. But my arms were always cold, so a heated jacket liner became my next purchase. Been riding with one ever since (about 18 years).

Recently,

[/color]came on the market, and it looks very promising. Apart from probably having to wash it more often because your body comes in direct contact with it all day long (body oils, skin flakes, perspiration, etc.), I think it bodes well as a solution for cold-weather riding. Certainly the reviewer (Moshe Levy, a respected longtime member here at BMWST) really liked it. A lot!

I wonder about having the controller right next to your ribs if your bike happens to take a nap on the side of the road.

+1 on Moshe. He calls it the way it is.