IGNORED

Tail vs. Back of Dragon ?

Hi all.

I've been riding the Tail of the Dragon in the Smokys for close to 50 yrs. Too many CRAZY riders with limited skill levels are making it very risky to ride. I've taken to riding it in off season and at night to avoid the crowds, a solution that has its own set of risks.

Saw some info on the " Back of the Dragon " near Tazewell Va. 32 miles vs. 11 miles. Looks good.

Anyone have experience with area ? Opinions, suggestions ? Roads to take, avoid, places to stay ?

I'm sure I'll miss the Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge, Foothills Parkway etc. But always looking for a new ride.

Thanks . Jb

Lone_RT_rider

A quick google search leads me to this link. I think I have ridden this, but it's been over 10 years ago when I lived close to that part of VA. You really can't go wrong in that part of the country. A person could wander the roads in that region for weeks and never hit the same road twice.

It's pretty much it's own little version of heaven.....

There's an old soul on this board with an ID of BigT. He know's that area quite well.

Shawn

I ride in that area often as my MIL lives in Abingdon, VA. The Back of the Dragon is not as technical as the Tail but has a lot less traffic. There can be a bit of traffic on the south end by Hungry Mother state park.

Also nearby is Hwy 421 running from Mountain City, TN to Friendship TN. I always run this route to and from Abingdon. Not as long but usually deserted early in the morning.

It is a great area to ride. If you have the time you can wander over to WV.

Hi all.

I've been riding the Tail of the Dragon in the Smokys for close to 50 yrs. Too many CRAZY riders with limited skill levels are making it very risky to ride. I've taken to riding it in off season and at night to avoid the crowds, a solution that has its own set of risks.

Saw some info on the " Back of the Dragon " near Tazewell Va. 32 miles vs. 11 miles. Looks good.

Anyone have experience with area ? Opinions, suggestions ? Roads to take, avoid, places to stay ?

I'm sure I'll miss the Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge, Foothills Parkway etc. But always looking for a new ride.

Thanks . Jb

Yes, quite fun, the Marion to Tazwell road. Also, in the area is The Snake , the Python which is US 58 between Damascus, Va and Mouth of Wilson. Also, if you look to the NE of "Back of the Dragon", you'll see State Rd 623,....it's a nice twisty ride with a very small portion of gravel (if memory serves correctly, also, it's a narrow lane hardbol road for the paved portions-no traffic). You got Diamondback, U. S. 221 from Jefferson, NC to Independence, VA and many many more.

Sounds like a great ride. Thanks for comments and I promise to NOT cross the centerline in blind corners.

Methinks I gave you the wrong road, SR 622 is the one. Not going to get much speed on it, but it is still a nice little run and almost a single lane road (Haven Ridge Rd/Nebo Mountain Rd)