IGNORED

Netflix, Hulu or what?

elkroeger

John Ranalletta

Kodi unknown to me, but we've canceled Netflix & Prime. Hulu seems to have more variety and original content. YMMV.

Hey Jerry - do you have a smart TV and if so, what kind and what is the OS? Otherwise I would have to purchase another stick ...

We pay for Netflix....We have had it for a VERY long time and I don't see that changing anytime soon. Back when we had free time, we would use it for watching movies or catching up on old TV series we might have missed. My wife and I barely turn it on anymore for us, but its great for when the kids want to watch something. We also have Amazon Prime Video, but rarely use it. Its just a nice extra perk for already paying for Amazon Prime. We tried Hulu a few years ago and canceled it pretty quickly. Not for a specific reason other than I found we didn't use it.

Hey Jerry - do you have a smart TV and if so, what kind and what is the OS? Otherwise I would have to purchase another stick ...

I have a Sharp smart TV but found the new Fire TV easier to use and doesn't buffer like the old Fire Stick.

I haven't found a "smart" TV yet that is worth anything. All of the user interfaces I have come in contact with have been horrible. We use Apple TV boxes for everything in our house and have really taken for granted what a user interface should be. I get so frustrated going to my parents house and having to deal with their stupid 4 over complicated remotes and BS just to watch TV. The Apple TV interface and remote is so simple my almost 3yr old knows how to use it perfectly. All the rest of the remotes....TV/Cable box and such are stashed away in a drawer

Thanks guys. I appreciate your help!

On a side note - we have a smart tv with an aerial antenna. Mostly we watch prime on wi-fi, because we get 3 stations, and 3 religious stations. Prime's okay, but leaves a little to be desired. I have to say, the smart tv is nice, but there again, I think you're spot on with the user interface. It's not really all that smart.

Edited by elkroeger

The big problem with the "smart" TV's is that only a few companies actually update things. So how it works the day you bring it home is how it work forever. No new channels, features, or bug fixes. Some companies do firmware updates, but they can be a difficult depending on how they are implemented.

True. Case on point is a 2 year old Samsung I have. Lots of bells and whistles but the built in browser is a Samsung design and is not compatible with all sites. And Samsung has no planes to implement any updates. Consequently its useless.

That is interesting. My Samsung is always getting updates.

Our Samsung TV and the Samsung smart Blu-ray player get frequent updates and new apps also. Though I can't say if the internet browser app has gotten any better since I first tried it two years ago. It was so bad then that I have not been tempted to try it since.

Edited by lkraus
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a Roku and I'm very happy with it. Like others have stated smart TV browsers have limitations and my Roku makes up for that. My smart Sony quit getting YouTube awhile back after some channel updates and I now access it using my Roku to watch ..............Moto GP and WSBK races for example. I too have Amazon Prime for the combination of programing and the free 2 day shipping it includes. Some paid channels apps require a cable subscription on Roku, but others like Smithsonian Channel which is free and has some good content. I also have a outdoor TV antenna in my attic so I can record on my DVR many normal network programs & fast forward commercials. :clap:

Edited by sardineone
LittleBriar

+1 Roku. Use it all the time. It's infinitely better than the clunky interface built into most smart TV's. I would recommend getting one of the higher end boxes as they tend to have a more responsive user interface. The response is close to instantaneous.

I would recommend getting one of the higher end boxes

For example my Roku 3 has a Bluetooth remote that doesn't have to see or be aimed at the unit to work. :grin:

Edited by sardineone