IGNORED

IPass work in tank bag?

Lone_RT_rider

Lone_RT_rider

This is a new question for me, since I have never before lived in this part of the country and done a ton of motorcycle touring here. Any time I have had to deal with tolls, I just paid cash and through the change in my tank bag.

So..... If the IPass is sensitive enough to warrant shipping it in Aluminum foil, does that mean it should work and trigger when placed in the top of the clear portion of a tank bag?

Shawn

Lone_RT_rider
Yes it will work. I have my Pike Pass fastened with velcro facing up in my 28 L top box and it works every time.

Awesome. :) I was worried I might have to pull an EB, and velcro the thing to the inside of my windshield. :facepalm:

This is a new question for me, since I have never before lived in this part of the country and done a ton of motorcycle touring here. Any time I have had to deal with tolls, I just paid cash and through the change in my tank bag.

So..... If the IPass is sensitive enough to warrant shipping it in Aluminum foil, does that mean it should work and trigger when placed in the top of the clear portion of a tank bag?

Shawn

It will definitely work. I worked on the IPass project years ago and we did extensive testing (in cars, trucks and buses) that showed the field strength was incredibly strong.

It should be fine in your tankbag. Just remember to remove the foil.

RPG

Lone_RT_rider
It should be fine in your tankbag. Just remember to remove the foil.

When I first got both of the Ipass's in the mail and opened them, they looked like tasty treats at first......

Mmmmmmmm...... Ding Dong's!

dingdong3.jpg

Mine would work in my backpack, but usually only if I leaned forward when I went under the reader.

Then, they changed the Los Angeles rules saying that their equipment could tell if it was a motorcycle, but that was only on Metro Express Lanes, where there was no toll for motorcycles.

Mine also worked on the bridges in the bay area (San Francisco bay) in a canvas travel bag.

dc

RandyShields

Shawn, as a get closer to retirement, I plan on yanking my EZ Pass off my car and use it on my GT. I have done a lot of due diligence on various motorcycle boards and sites, and the conclusions vary by transmitter and state. For many, keeping the pass in a tankbag or tailbag/trunk are reported to work just fine. Others report that having it in a container on the top of the dash works; and others report that it only works if velcroed to the windscreen.

Based on the variation of experiences I have seen, I think it would be best to test it out a few times from various places on the bike and see if the billing shows up.

Good luck.

Randy

Edited by RandyShields

My EZ pass works in my jacket pocket on every toll road/bridge I have been on in PA, OH, IN, IL, VA, NY and DE. It should work fine in your tank bag.

so my last pass I actually installed on my bikes windshield and it was there for 5 years of commuting, never an issue. Yesterday I went in to get a new pass for my current bike, and the agent said, tank bag, chest pocket, windshield does not matter. they did say pants pocket and jacket side pockets usually work, but other three are guaranteed to work. I am going to do the tank bag thing, but not in the clear map pouch, but actually in the bag itself. As I only have one street bike, not sure why I do not just attach to windshield and be done with it.

It's a funny thing. On my 03RT, I placed it in my tank bag within the clear see-thru pouch and sometimes it would work and other times not. Once I installed my EZ Pass on the inside of my windshield it works every time. Don't know why. Try it in the tank bag and if it works, then ok. Mine didn't so beware.

Well having lived in NJ for the first 40 years of my life and moved to NC in 1996 we have had EZ Pass since they first came out. And today you pretty much can't travel in the Northeast without one. My EZ pass did not work in my jacket pocket on WV and while it worked fine on my current Ram Mount if not pointed correctly at times it would not work. So if it were me I would mount it as best I could to get it read. My Ram Mount with the new smaller EZ Pass works great.

83CF1845-CCBD-442C-A337-7750DF0637B5-L.jpg

Edited by RTinNC