IGNORED

Riding in the Void

Medic Mike

Hello everyone:

The past few times I have taken my RT out, my 660 has been acting a little....well weird. It seems that I go in and out of the Void while I am tooling around. What I mean is that roads do not exist (show up) on the display. I have messed with the zoom and it does not seem to make much of a difference. It is the worst when I am in more rural areas, which to my simple mind does not make sense. If it is a Data/Memory issue, having less roads to show would take up less RAM versus more Urban areas. My 660 is up to date on maps and firmware. I am not missing small little 1.5 lane roads. Major US and State Routes are not showing up (i.e. US52, NC64, NC42). Is this a memory issue? I know my memory is at 98% and I have tried to free up memory by deleting routes and so forth. Any suggestions from the tech gurus or do I need to replace the 660?

Thank you

Mike

I have a 32GB MSD card in the GPS. That is where I store all the routes prior to travel then "upload" from the card to the unit when it is time to use that route.

Hello everyone:

The past few times I have taken my RT out, my 660 has been acting a little....well weird. It seems that I go in and out of the Void while I am tooling around. What I mean is that roads do not exist (show up) on the display. I have messed with the zoom and it does not seem to make much of a difference. It is the worst when I am in more rural areas, which to my simple mind does not make sense. If it is a Data/Memory issue, having less roads to show would take up less RAM versus more Urban areas. My 660 is up to date on maps and firmware. I am not missing small little 1.5 lane roads. Major US and State Routes are not showing up (i.e. US52, NC64, NC42). Is this a memory issue? I know my memory is at 98% and I have tried to free up memory by deleting routes and so forth. Any suggestions from the tech gurus or do I need to replace the 660?

Thank you

Mike

Morning Mike

Are you seeing any of the smaller roads? Or just the major roads.

Major roads (freeways etc) are on the world map with smaller roads on the NT map.

You might try re-loading your NT map. I have seen instances on the older units like the Z-550 that would lose an entire map section so would only show the world map in those sections.

You might try connecting your GPS to your computer & opening Base Camp then use the map in your GPS (not the map in your computer) to view the areas that were not showing up on the road. If they don't show up in Base Camp either then you have a corrupt map in your GPS.

Garmin issued a small update to the CN NT 2019.10 map a month or two after the initial release, without changing the version number. I've not seen a list of changes, but it can't hurt to be sure you have the latest update.

DR: I see some smaller roads and some larger roads but no pattern that I can notice. There have been a few times where I am in nothing but white for 30 minutes or more. Yet when I am in a more urban area 98% of things are visible. That is the first thing that confused me. I have not tried the GPS map view via BaseCamp, will accomplish that in the next day or two.

Larry: I just updated on Tuesday and I have not had a chance to hit the road since the update. That is on the table for Saturday...if I get enough sleep on my 24 hour shift on Friday.

Thank you both and I will update as I figure it out.

Mike

Check your GPS there is an option to 'select' the map you want to use. As DR said you may be viewing the 'world' map and if loaded you can select the 'NT' map. I have both on my GPS unit.

Mike,

On most Garmin's there is a SETTING for MAP DETAIL. Make sure it is on MORE.

I've always found the Garmin Customer Service (phone line) to be VERY helpful and knowledgeable about most anything related to Garmin. I keep it in my phone - 913.397.8200.