IGNORED

Rear seat latch broke

Trobinson

Anyone know where I can find a seat latch? I broke the mount on mine last night. I started coming into the garage at the wrong angle and speed and about dumped the bike and catching it caused me to shift forward on the seat which apparently moved the rear seat up enough to break the latch. I've looked on MAX's site and don't see it in any of the diagrams.

Bike is a '96R1100RT.

Anyone know where I can find a seat latch? I broke the mount on mine last night. I started coming into the garage at the wrong angle and speed and about dumped the bike and catching it caused me to shift forward on the seat which apparently moved the rear seat up enough to break the latch. I've looked on MAX's site and don't see it in any of the diagrams.

Bike is a '96R1100RT.

Morning Trobinson

Look under Vehicle Trim on the Max diagrams (seat latch assembly is about $51.00)/

I see them on E-Bay once in a while also.

Did you break the actual latch or break the latch tube, or did you break the attachment point under the latch?

52532313203_3_B.jpg

Colorado Jeff

Oddly enough, mine broke too about 6 weeks ago. Could not find one on eBay or Beemer Boneyard, so bought on this weekend from Bob's BMW. Part # 52 53 2313203 for $51.13 plus shipping.

Oddly enough, mine broke too about 6 weeks ago. Could not find one on eBay or Beemer Boneyard, so bought on this weekend from Bob's BMW. Part # 52 53 2313203 for $51.13 plus shipping.

I got one from Max BMW, same price. Couldn't wait for one to show up on ebay or beemerboneyard and I won't deal with the local dealer unless I have no choice (got ripped for tires recently).

Colorado Jeff

I got one from Max BMW, same price. Couldn't wait for one to show up on ebay or beemerboneyard and I won't deal with the local dealer unless I have no choice (got ripped for tires recently).

I have the same issue with my local BMW shop, avoid them if I can do it.

My seat latch lock showed up today, was a breeze to install the lock cylinder and re-install. Bob's did a good job of getting it shipped out quickly.

Well sorry you guys are not happy with your dealers. But to be honest they are not the places to go for tyres, as they end up being the middle men. If possible I like to try to support my dealer if the price is fair (and remember friendly negotiation is possible). When your dealer disappears, that will be even sadder.

Colorado Jeff
Well sorry you guys are not happy with your dealers. But to be honest they are not the places to go for tyres,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but its about more than just tires, although they're ridiculously expensive there. They always seem to get something wrong, they're not very nice and the head of the service department tries to make me feel bad about my '97 R11RT ALL THE TIME. He constantly makes comments about how old it is, how they don't get support from BMW for this bike because of its age, how they can't always get parts anymore, he tells me about all the things he thinks are going to break and how I'm going to have to spend more and more money every year. He's just a jerk and the previous service department manager was worse, if you can believe that. If this dealer disappears, it wont' make me feel bad. It's poorly run and has a bad reputation with BMW riders in our area.

Colorado Jeff

Hi AndyS, there's the rub, the next closest BMW shop is owned by the same people. I'm one of those crazy people that if I'm not treated fairly, I won't give them any more of my money. The next closest BMW shop is about 70 miles away, so not too bad, and very close compared to many on this forum. There is a local independent that I've had install tires last year. I might explore their expertise for other work.

Well sorry you guys are not happy with your dealers. But to be honest they are not the places to go for tyres, as they end up being the middle men. If possible I like to try to support my dealer if the price is fair (and remember friendly negotiation is possible). When your dealer disappears, that will be even sadder.

Morning Andy

Some riders in some areas don't have much of a choice. BMW rims are soft, easy to bend, & very expensive to replace, plus, need special adapters to properly balance. So most shops in my area will not mount or balance BMW tires/wheels as they have been burnt by damaging one & having to replace it.

In some places, unless you mount them yourself, or have a friend that does, then it can be a challenge to find a qualified shop.

Interesting. I have never experienced that in the UK. As they say...live and learn. So maybe those BMW shop prices aren't so bad, if other places won't touch them!

When I mentioned I got ripped for tires I'm comparing to Max's site. I paid about $100 more than I should have had to. Anyway, didn't mean to take the thread in a different direction.

Hi Colorado Jeff,

Why not just go the whole hog and NAME that pesky inefficient argumentative dealership ? That way, more people in your area will avoid the place and maybe perhaps even challenge the boss to change his attitude, for the possible improvement of his operation and his customers.

Jeff,

When I worked up in Ft. Collins a few years back, I did a fair bit of business with Beemers & More (which became Moto Italia...which I see is now closed). Steve and Roxanne were fantastic to deal with. Even after I wasn't up there regularly, I still preferred to do business with them. Sorely missed. I did get a few parts from NoCo. At that time they were in Loveland, and my experiences weren't horrible, though not great either. Maybe different ownership at that time. I would have ranked them slightly better than the two dealers in Denver - for different reasons - so in my estimation you're not missing out on anything great down here.

Like I said, for different reasons. I've always had pleasant people to deal with at Foothills BMW, but a little while back I discovered that their part prices were even higher than the standard BMW cost (i.e. the prices that you find online at Max, Bob's, or Countryside). I draw a parallel to the old stories from way back that I used to hear about certain Honda dealerships that printed their own price list. And, my one trip to BMW of Denver left me very disappointed. You are hit with full dose of attitude as soon as you walk through the front door. Apparently that works for some customers. Also, that same undertone of disdain for anyone riding a bike that's more than 5 years old. Guessing they are the same ownership as NoCo.

I try to do almost all of my own wrenching, but I do run down to the other end of Denver for good tire service. Hoping the indy shop you mentioned can be a good solution for you. Good luck.

This.

Some dealerships (many? most?) have agreements with Tucker Rocky or their ilk.

Have to order certain quantities.

We were in that boat.

Our costs were more than the on-line tire wholesalers.

Most customers understood and we sold a lot of tires, high speed balanced, mounted.

So, yeah, if you want the lowest price it isn't usually at the dealership.

CODB.

We would mount tires bought elsewhere (usually) , but we had to covers costs.

Rim damage was rectified and rare, we stood behind the work, and a malfunctioning tire

we were the advocate for the customer.

YMMV