IGNORED

R1150RT Radio Plug Switched Power

TedKerr

Hi folks, I'm adding a new switched circuit to my 2004 R1150RT and looking for switched power near the front of the bike to use as the trigger for my relay. I have read that one of the wires in the 4-pin radio plug (located in front of the glove box) carried switched power but mine does not. The radio plug on my bike pins out as below. I do have a good fuse in location 8 and all other locations, validated using continuity mode on a Fluke volt meter.

Is there something else I need to do to get switched power to that plug?

Red = unswitched 12v

Brown = ground

Blue/Red = dead - key on or off

Blue/Black = dead - key on or off

Many thanks!

Ted - Denver

Afternoon Ted

Yes, install a fuse in the underseat fuse box cavity #11 (probably no fuse there now).

You should then have switched 12v on the Violet/Black wire.

Edited by dirtrider
Yes, install a fuse in the underseat fuse box cavity #11 (probably no fuse there now).

Hi DR, I'm at work so can't post a picture but I'm only seeing 10 fuses (blade type). Is slot 11 away from the bank of 10 at the left-rear of the fusebox?

Edit: found a pic online that looks like my fusebox.

6198581423_af458d64c9_b.jpg

Edited by TedKerr

Afternoon Ted

How about fuse #8 for the radio fuse.

I seem to have an error in my 2004 1150 wiring diagrams as that shows #11 but as you say there is no fuse 11.

Make sure your are looking at the violet/black wire for ign-on 12v power (might be in the other radio connector)

Edited by dirtrider

Hi DR, thanks as always for your help with these types of things. Yeah, I confirmed fuse #8 was good and, while there, confirmed the other 9 fuses were good as well. Also checked the blue/red and blue/black wires on the radio plug a few times, with the key on and off. Strange.

Oh, I just noticed your mention of the "other radio connector". The one I'm looking at is just in front of the glove box. Approximately where is the other radio connector?

Thanks again,

Ted

Oh, I just noticed your mention of the "other radio connector". The one I'm looking at is just in front of the glove box. Approximately where is the other radio connector?

Thanks again,

Ted

Evening Ted

Usually close by the other one.

I can't remember the radio connectors on the 2004 as I can't remember using the radio

connector for aux power on the twin spark 04 but on the earlier 1150RT's the ign 12v

at the radio connector was Violet/Black (probably looks all Violet at first glance).

Here is a look at the radio side of the connectors.

cMa9igA.jpg

Edited by dirtrider

I took another look behind the glove box and don't see any connectors like that. Maybe my bike wasn't wired for radio?

What I have is a blue 4-pin plug as picture below.

It pins out as:

Red = unswitched 12v

Brown = ground

2hzh0tx.jpg

Edited by TedKerr
I took another look behind the glove box and don't any connectors like that. Maybe my bike wasn't wired for radio?

What I have is a blue 4-pin plug as picture below.

It pins out as:

Red = unswitched 12v

Brown = ground

Afternoon Ted

Red = unswitched 12v--- (my wire print shows red/white for radio 12v B+)

Brown = ground

Blue/Red = dead - key on or off ---Blue/Red = R/H speaker (+)

Blue/Black = dead - key on or off---I show a blue for R/H speaker (-) but no blue/black

I do show a blue/red & a blue black for the radio control but no red or brown in that connector.

As I mentioned I am not very familiar with the late twin spark radio harness as mid 03 through end of production the 1150RT didn't come from the factory with a factory radio prep kit unless they came with a factory radio or were specifically ordered with a factory radio prep kit installed at additional cost. I would also imagine the dealer tec installing the radio prep kit would not be required to wire all the way back & into the bottom of the fuse box so there should be a radio ign-on 12v wire (violet/black) terminating somewhere in the radio area (at least that would be my educated guess)

I have a number of 1150RT wire schematics & all that I have looked at show the radio ign-on 12v power wire to be violet/black.

If your fuse #8 has a wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse cavity on the power-out side then it s-h-o-u-l-d be violet/black. If you can somehow see that wire going into the harness then it should come out somewhere near the radio location (at least I would think that).

I'm still guessing that you should have another connector in the radio area somewhere, maybe behind something or wedged back behind the glove box.

If you do find that violet/black wire termination please post the info here as I'm sure someone else will be looking for that little beauty in the future like you are now.

Added: I believe the other radio connector (if you have one) will be black.

Edited by dirtrider

I am looking at doing the same thing, the blue plug you found I believe to be the plug in port for a diagnostic tool less I am mistaken. Just before that though on the frame rail you should see a wire assembly wrapped in black tape. This is where the proper radio and Siren wires would run through to the front of the bike and there are several "hot wires" in that area. Our 2004's are the only year that the radio assembly did not come stock on the bike in the states, however, the wiring is still present for both the radio and the rtp conections.

I am looking at doing the same thing, the blue plug you found I believe to be the plug in port for a diagnostic tool less I am mistaken. Just before that though on the frame rail you should see a wire assembly wrapped in black tape. This is where the proper radio and Siren wires would run through to the front of the bike and there are several "hot wires" in that area. Our 2004's are the only year that the radio assembly did not come stock on the bike in the states, however, the wiring is still present for both the radio and the rtp conections.

Evening jelake

You are mistaken, the diagnostic connector is under the seat, plus the diagnostic wire colors are different.

My bike does have these two odd harness "stumps" on the left front. Maybe this is where my would-be radio wiring would have emanated from?

xmnccj.jpg

My bike does have these two odd harness "stumps" on the left front. Maybe this is where my would-be radio wiring would have emanated from?

Morning Ted

RKgawLo.jpg

When I bought my 04 RT back in 03 I also thought that the wire stubs you found might be where the radio would connect. I pulled the tape off of one of the stubs only to find a bunch on ground wires connected together.

roger 04 rt

xmnccj.jpg

Ted,

Those are connection bundles. Inside there you can find, for instance, a green bundle which is unfused switched +14V.

There will also be a green/Black bundle which is switched +14V fused by F1.

Test everything before you wire, e.g. make sure the bundle you find is switched and controlled by F1.

Edited by roger 04 rt