IGNORED

Alternator Belt Adjustment Hack ! 2004 r1150rt

rhetoric

Trying to freshen up my "new" 04 r1150rt (fluids, filters, plugs) and the next thing I know I'm ripping off the alternator cover to take a stab at the belt... (thanks for all the helpful threads!)

Everything went well till the dreaded tensioner. I only had to lift the alternator about 1/4 of an inch, but I read all the cautionary tales about stripping the tensioner and I didn't feel very good about jamming a pry bar under the alternator and cranking (it's already so low there's not alotta room for wedging and I don't want to scrape all the paint off the frame). I don't think anybody makes a pulley spreader that small and I even fiddled with a homemade spreader (couple chunks of wood, a socket, and a tightening nut on a bolt...), but got nowhere.

Then I thought, "Hey, I don't need to press against the bottom pulley -- I have all of God's green earth to pry against." So, as "proof of concept," I took a couple long ratchet extensions and a large socket, taped a chunk of wood to the top, and then pried up the whole thing with my floor jack (just to see if I could get any purchase and lift.) The concept worked so perfectly I just went ahead and tightened the bolts!

Tips? 1). I think a wooden 16 inch pole with a "v" cut block on the top might be less likely to slip off the jack or pulley than the extensions. 2)The jack needs to be positioned so it won't roll (perpendicular to the bike) 3) You might want to have your wife sit on the bike! I don't think there was any real danger of lifting the bike off of the center stand, but I wouldn't take any chances.

Anyway, for all the hassles I was reading about, this seemed like fairly low stress alternative.

(I see some guys are removing the old belt and putting on the new belt without loosening the alternator at all. I can't imagine! I loosened and still had to get the hot air dryer out to soften up the belt.)

Hope this helps someone.

Paul

Morning Paul

Good job

You mentioned it but didn't address the seriousness-- you might want to add a real caution to the above procedure.

When jacking on the engine or any parts of the bike it is s-o-o-o-o easy to knock a BMW boxer bike off the center stand (center stand instantly folds into the up position) when the load or loading direction changes.

Before attempting the above use a ratchet strap or even a piece of rope to tie the bottom of the center stand to something on the bike forward of the stand so it can't collapse.

Yes, good advice to be careful. I really like the wife method, but for you single guys out there, see above! :-)

Yes, good advice to be careful. I really like the wife method, but for you single guys out there, see above! :-)

Morning rhetoric

My wife isn't strong enough to hold up a 1150RT that collapses a center stand so both her & the bike would probably fall over. Not to mention having to take her out to dinner as a bribe for her help.

• 2 weeks later...
Morning Paul

Good job

You mentioned it but didn't address the seriousness-- you might want to add a real caution to the above procedure.

When jacking on the engine or any parts of the bike it is s-o-o-o-o easy to knock a BMW boxer bike off the center stand (center stand instantly folds into the up position) when the load or loading direction changes.

Before attempting the above use a ratchet strap or even a piece of rope to tie the bottom of the center stand to something on the bike forward of the stand so it can't collapse.

I found this out the hard way when I had both wheels off for tire changes. The only thing that saved the bottom of the engine was my coiled up air hose which needless to say was cut in half when she came down on it. It took me a while to figure out a way to get it back on the stand (by myself). The ratchet strap is a must for doing things when you remove a wheel/wheels