IGNORED

Just Received Sena INC Helmet

RT5HTP

I was checking Sena's site on a daily basis for many months until it was finally released. Just got it yesterday, but unfortunately I'm not going to test it until the roads are salt-free. This helmet, at least in theory, has great potential for those (like me!) looking to maximize noise protection. I came down with Tinnitus a year ago due to lack of protection in multiple domains, not the least of them, motorcycling. I got my RT primarily in the context of superior wind protection. I also started wearing ear plugs and bought a couple of highly rated (in terms of noise reduction) helemts- Schubert C3 Pro and Shoei GT Air...love both!

However, the prospect of having a helmet that uses active noise canceling technology that deems ear plugs unnecessary gets me really excited! I hate having to wear ear plugs. After examining the helmet and trying it on, I was a little surprised and perplexed with ear/speaker area. It had been referred to as "ear cups", so I assumed (like ear muffs/head phones), the "cups" would actually enveolpe the ears. Since they do not, how does this work? I am not technilogical savvy at all, so maybe someone can help me here. I am really hoping I can use this helmet without ear plugs, otherwise what's the use? The helmets fits well (decent seal at neck), appears to have good venting, comes with pinlock and is nice looking. I'm very happy to see a helmet manufacturers trying to address the issue of noise reduction. Much needed. Thank you!

For those who haven't heard of the helmet, here's a lnk:

https://www.sena.com/product/noise-control-helmet/

At $549, with Bluetooth built in, this helmet looks like a winner! Thanks for the heads-up and I anxiously await your ride reports.

I had been waiting for this helmet as well, and for the same reasons as yours. I saw a couple of comments on SENA's FB page from a couple of people who had actually used this helmet and said that the noise cancelling feature was good enough for them to ride without ear plugs. Like you, I had assumed that the ear CUPS will surround the ears as well, but being cushioned and resting on top of the ears should be OK. I think that is how the Bose earphones fits? Personally, I prefer a modular helmet, and so I have to decide between the SENA and the new Neotec 2. BTW, based on a video that I saw of the SENA Momentum (non-INC), I believe that the helmet is made by Shoei. The clue that I saw was that the visor release mechanism is identical to what I have on my Neotec. Is that true with your INC?

I have Tinitus also, and I also bought the Shoei GT Air for noise reduction. That being said I still use earplugs a lot of the time. If I'm going slower on mountain roads I leave them out and listen to music. If I need to do some freeway work I put them in. I had custom earplugs made at a motorcycle show and they are really quiet, and all day comfort. Funny that my ears ring even louder with them in, but I know I'm still getting protection. I ride with my face shield up almost all of the time. I wish the Sena site explained how the noise reduction worked. 2 drawbacks, no flip down sun visor, and the color choices. I have the Sena unit that is made for my helmet, built in, which I really like. Mr. Original poster, give custom earplugs a try. I think that's the only way to really cut the noise.

Bill_Walker

Here's how active noise cancellation works: Active Noise Control (wikipedia link)

I'll be interested to see how well it works in this application. It's widely used in aviation headsets, where I gather it works pretty well. I'm a little skeptical of putting this much technology in a helmet, which will need to be replaced every five years, but at least the price is competitive with regular helmets from Shoei or Arai.

I had been waiting for this helmet as well, and for the same reasons as yours. I saw a couple of comments on SENA's FB page from a couple of people who had actually used this helmet and said that the noise cancelling feature was good enough for them to ride without ear plugs. Like you, I had assumed that the ear CUPS will surround the ears as well, but being cushioned and resting on top of the ears should be OK. I think that is how the Bose earphones fits? Personally, I prefer a modular helmet, and so I have to decide between the SENA and the new Neotec 2. BTW, based on a video that I saw of the SENA Momentum (non-INC), I believe that the helmet is made by Shoei. The clue that I saw was that the visor release mechanism is identical to what I have on my Neotec. Is that true with your INC?

I'm not sure if the visor release mechanism is the same as my GT Air. I've yet to remove the protective film from the visor.

I have Tinitus also, and I also bought the Shoei GT Air for noise reduction. That being said I still use earplugs a lot of the time. If I'm going slower on mountain roads I leave them out and listen to music. If I need to do some freeway work I put them in. I had custom earplugs made at a motorcycle show and they are really quiet, and all day comfort. Funny that my ears ring even louder with them in, but I know I'm still getting protection. I ride with my face shield up almost all of the time. I wish the Sena site explained how the noise reduction worked. 2 drawbacks, no flip down sun visor, and the color choices. I have the Sena unit that is made for my helmet, built in, which I really like. Mr. Original poster, give custom earplugs a try. I think that's the only way to really cut the noise.

I did get custom plugs a while back, but they didn't stay put in my ear canal when riding. They became dislodged whenever I would turn my head.The foam ear plugs are amazing as far as blocking noise is concerned. But after I put the plugs in it's goodbye to any conversation! I have an appointment with the Audiologist in a couple of weeks. Another set of custom plugs might not be a bad idea. He actually rides a BMW as well.

Here's how active noise cancellation works: Active Noise Control (wikipedia link)

I'll be interested to see how well it works in this application. It's widely used in aviation headsets, where I gather it works pretty well. I'm a little skeptical of putting this much technology in a helmet, which will need to be replaced every five years, but at least the price is competitive with regular helmets from Shoei or Arai.

Thanks for that link!

odd, foam plugs actually make it easier for me to use my Sena for music or phone calls.

I can play music and hear phone calls without issue with the bluetooth helmet, but off the bike, it's tough to discern speech with the helmet/plugs.It would be nice to not have to take the helmet/plugs out just to hear someone who strikes up a conversation at a gas station or where have you.

How comfortable is the helmet, when you tried it on, as compared to your GT Air? Is the fit the same as the GT Air?

I am giving this a serious thought about buying this over the Neotec 2, because even though I like the modular style, the only time that I have my chin bar up is when I fuel up, or in taking the helmet on/off! On top of that, buying the Neotec 2 plus the SENA SRL will be a lot more expensive than this helmet.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Waiting for someone's page to say if it is a round oval or what? That it is similar to a Shoei fit is very good news. At least the store policy allows for returns minus all the shipping costs.

I have bose headsets for flying. They indeed have cups that fit around your ears and the noise cancellation is pretty darn good. It drowns out all the engine and wind noise and allows you to use very small volume on all the devices. They cost a grand or more. When I wear a non-noise cancelling headset in the plane, I wear ear plugs with it. When I wear the bose ear plugs are not required. Just a guess on my part since the helmet doesn't have cups, it is somehow using the sealing of the cheek pads and inside of the helmet to create some version of a giant ear cup. I'm very anxious to see what you think...

A few years ago I had a noise cancelling headset in the plane from another provider. The band broke and I had a big idea of putting the electronics in my motorcycle helmet. I got the stuff installed but it really didn't work at all when turned on...not to mention I would have had to major surgery to change out the mic and receiver jack for 3mm with different resistance and ohms....I eventually just through it away but the thought has always been I hope someone puts this technology in a helmet someday..

The visor release mechanism does not look identical to the GT Air.

Waiting for someone's page to say if it is a round oval or what? That it is similar to a Shoei fit is very good news. At least the store policy allows for returns minus all the shipping costs.

I believe that I am intermediate oval. I'm very happy with the fitmant of both my GT Air.

Got a chance to test the helmet today. No epic ride, but I don't think it was necessary for the test.. I did an 8-mile loop, 50% interstate- 3 times. On the interstate, speed ranged 65-75 mph.The first and last runs were with the Sena (without plugs) and the second run was with the GT Air (with plugs). Let me preface this by saying I already have hearing loss, tinnitus and more sensitive ears than someone with intact hearing. I also have been wearingear plugs 100% of the time since my ear troubles manifested (March of last year). Lastly, I probably came into this with unrealistic expectations.

In short, I am disappointed. With the INC mode engaged (and all vents closed), it sounded pretty loud to me. I toggled between INC mode on/off a number of times while riding and the there is a significant reduction in overall noise while in INC mode, but not significant enough to make me comfortable riding for any extended period. The helmet buffeting, engine noise (at about 3.5k+) and as well as wind around neck area were noticeble (bothersome) to me. Although the fit was overall good, it isn't as snug as my GT Air (or C3 Pro) for that matter, which is a little more snug on the cheeks and better neck seal. Don't get me wrong, the INC helmet definitely reduces overall noise while riding, but I still feel very vulnerable in terms of decibel exposure. I believe Sena rated the INC helmet at 75 dB at 65 mph. I'm not willing to go on this and run the risk of further hearing loss/worsening

Tinnitus, especially if it sounds loud "to me".

This unfortunately will not be my go-to helmet while riding cross-country later this Spring. I'll either take the GT Air or C3 Pro. As I'm sure you all realize, this is only one persons experience with this helmet and my circumstances might be vastly different from others. I don't want to disssuade anybody.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

RT5HTP, I have loss too (from shooting and riding with a LEO helmet that had a ridiculous click every time someone keyed a mic). Been wearing plugs for 10ish years since I got back on bikes. It is possible that the white noise reduction system works in a frequency range that causes loss....thereby allowing the pass of more noise where you can hear it.

RT5HTP, I have loss too (from shooting and riding with a LEO helmet that had a ridiculous click every time someone keyed a mic). Been wearing plugs for 10ish years since I got back on bikes. It is possible that the white noise reduction system works in a frequency range that causes loss....thereby allowing the pass of more noise where you can hear it.

That certainly is possible, but I'm not sure if I'm going to take that on faith though. Since the helmet's mine now, I'll probably just use plugs with it.

My friend has the INC and I tried it on. I normally wear a medium or large, intermediate oval helmet. His is a XL. He immediately complained that the helmet was too tight and that his ears folded over when he put the helmet on. When I tried it on, even though it was definitely too big for my head, my ears folded over too! I think I would have to wear a wicking head cover with the helmet to prevent this. He is impressed with the quietness and I talked to him (bike-to-bike) over our Sena's all day long and have to say it was absolutely quiet during our conversations. I could hear no background noise coming from his end of the conversation.

The visor detents are just OK, and there is no solid "cracked" open setting like my HJC FS-17 has. The ambient setting for the helmet was quite good and you can hear everything around you when this is turned on.

Edited by AZgman

Wicking cover is a good idea. I've been using a soft/plastic, cake frosting utensil to push the ears back to normal.

odd, foam plugs actually make it easier for me to use my Sena for music or phone calls.

+1 The lack of background sound makes the Sena much more clear and understandable.