IGNORED

Painting Panniers

bimmers

I just got another 1200RT, a 2009.

This needs a little TLC and the first (and biggest part) is to refinish the Panniers to the Titan Silver they should be.

So question is WHERE CAN I GET IT DONE professionally? I did separate the lids from the hinges so they are simple to deal with for a pro painter.

I tried one Auto Paint Shop and they turned it down.

I am now in South Florida but may bring them up to the Atlanta area if I cannot find someone here.

H

I just got another 1200RT, a 2009.

This needs a little TLC and the first (and biggest part) is to refinish the Panniers to the Titan Silver they should be.

So question is WHERE CAN I GET IT DONE professionally? I did separate the lids from the hinges so they are simple to deal with for a pro painter.

I tried one Auto Paint Shop and they turned it down.

I am now in South Florida but may bring them up to the Atlanta area if I cannot find someone here.

H

Evening bimmers

I can't help you with a local shop but suggest that you call your local BMW dealer as most dealers have a trusted shop that they deal with for BMW painting repairs.

As D.R. mentioned, your dealer can suggest a body shop. I have mine done, the two side ones and the top box, just the colored lids.

Paid us$225 but they look like new. Any small body shop can do it, for a little cash.

ok, got a body shop (probably too good a one) but the price is quite steep, over 500 with most of it going to prep hours, so awaiting excellence based on the custom bike stuff they have done.

My color is Titan Silver but what is the actual color code for a 2009. The BMW nr is 764 and found a reference for colorrite.

Saw on Max Fiche that replacement painted ones would be 650 a piece and 260? for the front mudgard piece. So maybe recon is not too bad considering that alternative when want ing the bike to look like new.

thanks for comments

H

764 is the BMW code for the combination of colors on the entire bike.

The paint code for the Titan Silber (Titanium Silver) main body panels is 354.

The matte finish on valve covers, passenger grab rails, luggage rack, (lower fairings?), etc. is Weissaluminum III (White Aluminum 3), code 955.

Edited by lkraus

got the painted panniers back and they look like new. Now waiting for the reflectors to be delivered to be put in place and then we are like new. Price was steep ended up being 700+ for two pannier lids and the front fender piece.

They obviously were high quality and showed me a New Indian they had painted, still on the next door dealers floor, gorgeous two tone etc but for $5G it seemed steep.......

I am happy with end result despite pain in wallet.

h

I'm waiting on the dealer to call me back about having one of the panniers on the bike I'm planning to buy from him repaired/painted to remove a huge gouge from a tip-over. I'm not sure he knows the sale is riding on this.

Is $250 about the going rate for this kind of work?

• 2 months later...

sorry for not checking back but I had a mishap with one of the newly painted panniers when I got pushed over by a parked car backing out while I was standing still at stop sign behind him. re Doing that one cost me close to 400 and the scratches on the valve cover are still there, just covered by protective clearcoat for now.

So 250 may do it at normal shop, mine was more.

H

tommy carcetti

Another option is Duplicolor spray on removable coating.

We're fortunate to have an extra set of bags that aren't being used on our sidecar rig.

So pulled the like new ones off our 20112 RT and decided to use the '05 set which were already pre-scratched.

Used two cans of Duplicolor satin black on the lids.

The coating holds up much better than I would have anticipated to the usual boot drags over the top, road rain, and washing/detialing.

Removed the coating from the right bag once (more to see how easy/hard it was to remove) and it stripped off without difficulty. Cleaned the lid and resprayed. Like new again.

YMMV