IGNORED

Front fairing support bar sheared!

ETM

Hello all,

I bought a much abused 98R1100RT a few months back. I'm getting very fond of it, but today I noticed the front dash and fairing were wobbling when I went over bumpy road. It was a four hour round trip, so on returning to base I found the bar that supports the front fairing, and attached to the bike body just below the handlebars, had sheared. Not actually the bar itself, but the piece on the bike frame that its attached to!! So my entire front fairing can move forward about a centimetre if I push it and I can see the shiny sheared metal in the frame.

I dropped the bike a few weeks ago taking an awkward turn in a car park ... So it may have been damaged then and I didn't notice it.

Any ideas for patches or fixes?

Ta!

Eoin

Hello all,

I bought a much abused 98R1100RT a few months back. I'm getting very fond of it, but today I noticed the front dash and fairing were wobbling when I went over bumpy road. It was a four hour round trip, so on returning to base I found the bar that supports the front fairing, and attached to the bike body just below the handlebars, had sheared. Not actually the bar itself, but the piece on the bike frame that its attached to!! So my entire front fairing can move forward about a centimetre if I push it and I can see the shiny sheared metal in the frame.

I dropped the bike a few weeks ago taking an awkward turn in a car park ... So it may have been damaged then and I didn't notice it.

Ta!

Eoin

Afternoon ETM

Possibly weld the broken area, or buy a new support on E-Bay.

Without a picture of the break to look at it is difficult to make any firm recommendations.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya, yes it's the large cast aluminium part with the frame number plate. I'm trying to find a quick fix as I use the bike a lot, but I may have to bite the bullet.

Hello all,

I bought a much abused 98R1100RT a few months back. I'm getting very fond of it, but today I noticed the front dash and fairing were wobbling when I went over bumpy road. It was a four hour round trip, so on returning to base I found the bar that supports the front fairing, and attached to the bike body just below the handlebars, had sheared. Not actually the bar itself, but the piece on the bike frame that its attached to!!

Ta!

Eoin

Are you talking about this part to replace?

BMW Part # 46 51 2 314 698

If so, i'd suggest having the broken part re-welded. That is quite a task undressing the frame.