IGNORED

Heated Grip Switch Diagnose Help

Colorado Jeff

Colorado Jeff

Hi Everyone, the heated grips on my '97 R11RT are stuck "on". I turned the heated grips on and now they won't turn off. It's stuck in the hottest position regardless of the position of the switch. In other words, no low heat and no off, always high heat. I removed the fuse to turn them off so I can ride because they got stoking hot. Before I buy another switch, I thought I would confirm by diagnosing the switch, but I got no clue how to start. But actually, can it be anything other than the switch?

I have removed the switch and have a multi-meter, but really don't know how to actually do the diagnosis. I'm not too bright when it comes to electrical, so I need basic instructions. I've looked thoroughly online and found nothing to help, so I'm turning to you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Edited by Colorado Jeff
Hi Everyone, the heated grips on my '97 R11RT are stuck "on". I turned the heated grips on and now they won't turn off. It's stuck in the hottest position regardless of the position of the switch. In other words, no low heat and no off, always high heat. I removed the fuse to turn them off so I can ride because they got stoking hot. Before I buy another switch, I thought I would confirm by diagnosing the switch, but I got no clue how to start. But actually, can it be anything other than the switch?

I have removed the switch and have a multi-meter, but really don't know how to actually do the diagnosis. I'm not too bright when it comes to electrical, so I need basic instructions. I've looked thoroughly online and found nothing to help, so I'm turning to you.

Thanks,

Jeff

Morning Jeff

It does sound like a switch issue .

With switch removed (or disconnected) all terminals should be open.

12v from fuse #7 enters switch on green wire (switch terminal #2)

Then the switch connects that terminal #2 to either terminal #1 (orange wire) or connects it to terminal # 3 (black wire) for hi or low.

With your meter on the lowest ohm scale & switch turned OFF & disconnected from bike wire harness measure resistance between terminal #2 & terminal #3 then between terminal # 2 & terminal #1 (all should show open--ie no continuity)

Are you SURE that you have the switch turned off? I haven't had an 1100RT around here for ages so I can't remember the switch off position.

Any 1100RT owners reading this thread this please confirm what switch position is the OFF position.

Edited by dirtrider
Colorado Jeff

Thanks for the advice DR, I'll give it a go when I get home tonight. Given that the flow of electricity is from battery to ignition switch to heated grips switch then to the heated grips, I can't imagine what else could be causing the issue other than the switch, but I thought I'd try to diagnose anyway.

Jeff

Thanks for the advice DR, I'll give it a go when I get home tonight. Given that the flow of electricity is from battery to ignition switch to heated grips switch then to the heated grips, I can't imagine what else could be causing the issue other than the switch, but I thought I'd try to diagnose anyway.

Jeff

Morning Jeff

Yes, pointing to a switch (IF) you have the switch actually turned to the off position.

RoanokeRider

On my R1150RT the switch is conterintuitive. Not sure if the 1100 is the same. The switch is off when the TOP is pushed all the way in. I beleive this is so that when the switch is turned on that you can see the dots to show the switch position.